So Whats Your Thoughts On The 2018? - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: So Whats Your Thoughts On The 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybp View Post
    I noticed an "Econ" button with a green leaf on it in one of the interior shots. Is this something that's on current gen Ody's? If so what does it do?
    It's in my 2014 Accord. When pressed it pops up a little flower on the dashboard and cloaks your car in loose-fitting flowery robes and a beaded headband.

Joking of course. It supposedly improves fuel economy by reducing aggressiveness of throttle input and making sure you're in the highest gear possible etc. Mine stays OFF, though

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

By the way, I thought the installed vacuum was a little goofy but a "PA System"? Seriously? Maybe I'm misunderstanding its application, but if it is just designed to take the voice of the driver and boom it across all the speakers, HUH? I've never ever ever contemplated that I can't just turn the volume down to talk to my kids and/or raise my voice to get their attention. Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    By the way, I thought the installed vacuum was a little goofy but a "PA System"? Seriously? Maybe I'm misunderstanding its application, but if it is just designed to take the voice of the driver and boom it across all the speakers, HUH? I've never ever ever contemplated that I can't just turn the volume down to talk to my kids and/or raise my voice to get their attention. Goofy
    The PA will also go to headphones, so those with headphones on cant say - "we didnt hear you"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iwantansi View Post
    The PA will also go to headphones, so those with headphones on cant say - "we didnt hear you"
    Yeah I could definitely see the PA over headphones being useful.

Quote Originally Posted by OdyinVA View Post
    That looks like a new Honda color and I like it.
    I like that green also. Hope it looks good in person.

So I took a fresh look and maybe will moderate my comments a bit about the lightning bolt. I think what I hate is how the back roofline needs to dip so much and what is with the giant thickness of that rear pillar. I think if it didn't look like the car was getting so squeezed in the back it would look much better.

Interesting how the interior shots show a blue glow coming from the console trim

Wait a minute. Is there an economy button on the lower left of the gear selector buttons? Could this be the VCM cut off button everyone wants?

I think the lightning bolt is viewed by Honda as a distinctive feature that sets the Odyssey apart and makes it recognizable. They could have easily done away with it but that's my guess as to why they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brdu25ul View Post
    Wait a minute. Is there an economy button on the lower left of the gear selector buttons? Could this be the VCM cut off button everyone wants?
    #daretodream

I think it is! They would not put an indicator light that low.So Whats Your Thoughts On The 2018?-cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg Look at picture on Kelly Blue Book.

I think it is! They would not put an indicator light that low.Attachment 99001 Look at picture on Kelly Blue Book.
    It is not a VCM cut-off. The "ECON" button modulates throttle response and gear changes to maximize fuel economy as you drive. If you turn it off, the throttle response becomes more aggressive and gear changes happen a bit later, and consequently you use more fuel. This is how that button has been implemented on all other Hondas in which it appears thus far.

Honda will never offer their own VCM defeat - they would lose their credit with the EPA for CAFE requirements as well as have to report and advertise higher fuel consumption than they have right now.
    Last edited by CroMath; 01-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

I do not mind it if they fixed the VCM so it does not ruin the engine. The dealership had to take apart my 2011 engine at 70,000 miles to replace the piston rings!
    The eco button would still be useful getting onto the highway or on winding fast roads.
    Last edited by Brdu25ul; 01-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.

I do not mind it if they fixed the VCM so it does not ruin the engine. The dealership had to take apart my 2011 engine at 70,000 miles to replace the piston rings!
    New-generation Pilot and Ridgeline owners seem to be reporting that they are experiencing many of the same VCM characteristics in their updated engines that we have been seeing in our Gen4 Odys, so as of this moment, I don't think I see a reason to be optimistic for the 2018 Odyssey's VCM.

A VCMuzzler remains exceptionally cheap insurance against a repeat of your experience.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    New-generation Pilot and Ridgeline owners seem to be reporting that they are experiencing many of the same VCM characteristics in their updated engines that we have been seeing in our Gen4 Odys, so as of this moment, I don't think I see a reason to be optimistic for the 2018 Odyssey's VCM.

A VCMuzzler remains exceptionally cheap insurance against a repeat of your experience.
    Really? Because on the Pilot forum, piloteers.com, there is hardly any mention of it, if at all. I see that you guys are just trying to start another mass hysteria on the new model. Note, this is using a totally different engine that the previous gen.
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

Quote Originally Posted by OdyDudy View Post
    Really? Because on the Pilot forum, piloteers.com, there is hardly any mention of it, if at all. I see that you guys are just trying to start another mass hysteria on the new model. Note, this is using a totally different engine that the previous gen.
    Just because one forum talks about it more than another means absolutely nothing. Shutting down cylinders will ALWAYS have inherent problems. It's a flawed technology. Even Honda's fix (in their PCM software updates) was to shut them down less often, or activate the cylinders more often when shut down--however you want to look at it. It's not even specific to Honda. GM has similar problems with VCM. It's just an idea that has flaws and inherent problems.

Keeping all cylinders running is better than shutting them down, no matter how you look at it, and regardless of which forums are talking about it. The fact that many gen 4 Ody's are STILL having the problem should make it pretty apparent that it may look good for meeting some emissions standard, but it's not good for long term engine longevity.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast