Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Tow hitch for bike rack

33K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  murkho 
#1 · (Edited)
Which tow hitch would you use for a bike rack? We do not plan on towing. If we need towing we have a vehicle with a much higher tow rating that just needs a tow hitch. I assume I don't need the transmission cooler for using a bike rack on the tow hitch. I plan to lease and get the extended warranty. Any opinions on which hitch looks the nicest and is decent quality? Most reasonably priced? We are not DIYers.

#6 ·
In terms of the look I like OEM hitch the best - for the 2011-2017 generation anyway - but it does require removing the rear bumper and cutting a small piece off of it. From the rear you only see the 2" receiver and the tubes behind it are blocked from view by the bumper. Third-party ones are cheaper and do not require cutting, but they hang closer to the ground.

For some reason the ATF cooler is no longer listed as required for 2018 on the dealer website. For just a bike rack you don't need it or the wiring harness anyway.

#11 ·
Are the hitches still there? I don't see any aftermarket hitch options for 2018. This is also for a bike rack.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic when I posted this. There wasn't any official info on the Odyssey at that time, but people were posting questions about trailer hitches, tire sizes, pricing etc.

Other than the OEM hitch, I have no idea if there are any other hitches available.

#18 ·
Can anybody confirm that Honda accessories can be added to an EX-L for both the hands-free tailgate and the hitch? I know the sensor has to be moved on the tailgate once you add the hitch, but what I am not positive about is if this move can be done to the "accessory" version of the hands-free tailgate. My dealership is not able to answer this question very confidently. Pretty sure the answer is yes, but when you do "build" on the Honda website it still does not allow you to configure an EX with both a hitch and tailgate sensor accessory.
Text Font Line Parallel Document

#19 ·
Can anybody confirm that Honda accessories can be added to an EX-L for both the hands-free tailgate and the hitch? I know the sensor has to be moved on the tailgate once you add the hitch, but what I am not positive about is if this move can be done to the "accessory" version of the hands-free tailgate. My dealership is not able to answer this question very confidently. Pretty sure the answer is yes, but when you do "build" on the Honda website it still does not allow you to configure an EX with both a hitch and tailgate sensor accessory.
View attachment 108330
According to Bernardi and at least another Honda dealer that sells OEM parts online, the part [FONT=&quot]08L91-THR-100A can be used on EX-L trim and above.

[/FONT]
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Hands-Free-Access-Power-Tailgate-Sensor-Trailer-Hitch-Adapter-Odyssey__08L91-THR-100A.aspx

https://www.hondapartsconnection.com/oem-parts/honda-trailer-kick-sensor-08l91thr100a

#22 ·
Good point, I misspoke. The screenshot I attached was for EX-L and it won't let you add both accessories. Previously it would not let you add the hitch accessory to the Touring or Elite, but now the hitch is just now showing in the accessories period for those trims. Strange.

#25 ·
If anyone is interested, eTrailer has just listed Curt Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver Custom Fit Class III 2" Item #76170 for $144. It has a 525 lb. tongue weight, and the same 3500 lb. towing capacity as the Honda hitch, which is set by the vehicle and not the hitch.
The reason I waited for this one is I need the max tongue weight to carry mobility equipment on a rack, and referring to 2017 options, this was as heavy as I can get and still stay hidden. The install will mimic the factory part. I'm still using Honda's wiring kit and hands free lower antenna for hitch.
I have Timbren overload's that will go under the back to support any additional weight. I love Timbrens for their simplicity, durability, and adaptability.
It's always a game to see if I can hold out for the aftermarket for items I want or need, or purchase from Honda now, even if they're not ideal. Like the floor mats. I want gray, and better, but WeatherTech isn't close to putting anything out, so I ordered the Honda black mats from Bernardi.

#26 ·
Thanks KickStart, I am interested--especially since I didn't even know such existed until you mentioned it. :) I checked out Timbren's site and of course they don't have MY18 listed. How do you know which model SES kit to purchase? I have an '18 Elite.

Why are you using Honda's wiring kit instead of the ones eTrailer offers?

#27 ·
#30 ·
Thanks for the heads up that the etrailer version is available. I couldn't find the instructions on etrailer, but found it on hiddenhitch if anyone is interested in looking over the walk through http://www.hiddenhitch.com/support/installation/N76170.pdf No mention of the hands free access relocation, but I also found http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/odyssey/2018/trailerhitch.pdf which covers both the trailer hitch and hands free access.
A few questions about the tools for the install on the hiddenhitch version.

1) Is the panel removal tool just for popping those plastic rivets? I've always gotten by with a screwdriver.

2) Are there good alternatives to the plastic trim tools? Never tried removing a bumper and disengaging the clips.

3) What's the best way to do the cutouts? The honda instructions use an "airsaw" which I don't have and I think the hiddenhitch uses a utility knife? Is this difficult to do?

4) Do I need the exhaust removal pliers? When I installed a hitch on my last car (a prius), I just pushed the hook off the rubber boot by hand. It was easy if I remember correctly.

Thanks, will probably order this in the next week or two and install.

#28 ·
Is it necessary to relocate the hands-free tailgate antenna with an after market hitch? With the OEM Honda hitch the bumper needs to be cut and a new hands-free tailgate antenna that bends around that cut in the bummer has to be installed. Seems if the after market hitch doesn't require a bumper cut it might not require the antenna to be moved.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...echinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...II05231-08.PDF

#29 ·
The draw-tite 76170 requires cutting the bumper. I would imagine that the hands free antenna needs to be replaced for the draw tite as well, but until people start installing them, we won't know for sure.

#32 ·
Also, the price of the draw-tite hitch is now down to $137.28. It doesn't seem they have a plug and play trailer harness yet, although the Honda one (08L91-THR-100) is ~$107 (I have a small trailer that I would use the Odyssey to pull). And the hands free relocation kit is $70+ (08L91-THR-100A).

#33 ·
Beware the Draw Tite 2" hidden hitch. Despite the 525 lb tongue weight rating it bent on a long road trip the 1st time I used it. I was using a Thule T2 Pro with a +2 extension with 4 high quality MTB bikes on it. When I got back it was angled down 15-20 degrees and the end of the rack was 6" off the ground. It's fine for towing but the receiver is attached to the crossmember of the hitch with a piece of plate steel with a 90 degree bend in it. No reinforcement gussets. I'm not sure if the Honda sold hitch is any different.

#39 · (Edited)
FYI an alternative hitch is available and a little cheaper. Presumably stronger but the cross bar is fully visible.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Odyssey/2018/76171.html?vehicleid=201861937

I'm torn between both. This one above appears to be significantly easier to install, but the original one will look nicer. But then there's the previous post with it bending. Still a little unclear about it bending since it appears to be fully welding on the "front" and "back" of the receiver portion so in my mind it would be difficult to bend.

#42 ·
Question on this. I'm talking with a dealer today about picking up a new Odyssey and adding the hitch. I don't need the harness right now but I want to have the dealer install the hitch for all the reasons stated before.

Is the harness something that I can just crawl under the vehicle to install and plug in or is it something that would be better off with the dealer installing?

Thanks

#58 ·
Just installed the visible bar hitch. No real issues. The exhaust was in the way so had to work around that but otherwise pretty straight forward and only needed to cut the left side cover. Only using for a bike rack.

Code: 76171 View attachment 110361 View attachment 110369 View attachment 110377

I am looking at getting the same hitch as you have and was wondering if you like it so far? I am only going to use it for bike rack and hitch cargo carrier (box) and I was wondering if you think the ground clearance is too small. I noticed you posted measurements at 10.5" at the hitch, but I am thinking if I add carrier which is 60" by 21" with the straight shaft, would that place the carrier too low and it will be touching ground at every bump/ramp?
Any comments/ advice are much appreciated!

#46 ·
I noticed the rear seems lower than the front, when comparing the space between the top of the tire and the wheel well. The front is about 3" and the rear is about 2". I have the Drawtite hitch so wasn't sure if that alone can weigh it down. I'd be curious to see some numbers for people without a hitch and with a hitch. Picture doesn't really show it, posting mostly just because I washed it :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Alloy wheel

#53 ·
I noticed the rear seems lower than the front, when comparing the space between the top of the tire and the wheel well. The front is about 3" and the rear is about 2". I have the Drawtite hitch so wasn't sure if that alone can weigh it down. I'd be curious to see some numbers for people without a hitch and with a hitch. Picture doesn't really show it, posting mostly just because I washed it :)

View attachment 110729
Quoting myself since I'm curious to get more feedback. For those with AND without a hitch, can you tell me if the space between the tire and the fender is about the same for the front and rear tires? For me, it's about 3" of clearance for the front and 2" of clearance in the rear with the drawtite hitch installed. I noticed the car sagged a ton when I had a few things in the car and just 1 bike mounted via a heavy bike rack. It was definitely far from overloaded.

#47 ·
If the hitch was enough to drop it down then you'd be doing wheelies with bikes on the back. I think the difference of a gap is just there because the front tires have to turn and if it was, say, a 2" gap up front, going over bumps while turning or under other loads would cause the tires to rub on the fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.