2018 Odyssey be below MSRP? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Odyssey be below MSRP?

When do sites like truecar, costco or other car shopping sites start getting discounted pricing for cars? Does anyone know does that discount fluctuate or is it rather stable for the model year? My hope is once the dealerships start getting them, the car shopping sites will have a price with maybe some decent discount. I know normally I can get direct internet pricing that is better than these car shopping sites but given a brand new car and dealers who don't want to negotiate (yet), I figured there might be some contractual discount for the various sites. Anyone know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_bkr View Post
    When do sites like truecar, costco or other car shopping sites start getting discounted pricing for cars?...<snip>... Anyone know?
    I don't think anyone "knows". But I also think the answer is fairly straight forward. These sites do not exist for "free", and since the customer does not pay for the services, they are obviously getting some sort of referral fee from the dealer (thus why you can beat their price by dealing direct) Considering this, I'd guess they start showing discounted prices when it's worth it to the dealer to pay someone to bring them sales. Which will be after the initial new product "demand" starts to fade, which at this point, is anyone's guess.

But, this is a great way to watch the market, and gauge the deal you might be able to get at the dealership. As an example, carsdirect is showing a target price of $2300 off msrp on an ex-l pilot, which is about $600 over published "invoice" (for my zip code). So, if I were in the market for a pilot, I'd feel fairly comfortable with my chances of finding a deal very close to my personal maximum of "invoice". And of course, there will inevitably be a "prices paid for my 20XX" on this forum, and you can watch the market that way too.

But I don't think anyone can say with certainty that you'll start seeing prices soften on the new body style odyssey on any particular date. All we can do is watch the market, and make the best decision you can when you decide to buy. In the grand scheme, even a couple thousand dollars over the service life of the vehicle is not that significant.

They all get a fee for referral. Costco says so in the fine prints when you request a quote from participating dealers, but exactly how much is not known. Some reports says participating dealers pay a monthly fee, others claim it is $300-$500 per vehicle. The total number of vehicles sold through the Costco program was 398K in 2014 and 465K in 2015. It bet it crossed the half a million mark in 2016.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

So just FYI every thousand dollars of a loan at 3.5% adds $18.19 per month for a 60 month term. So while $500 dollars is a big deal, it is not the end of the world over the long term. So it really isn't worth worrying about too much. Don't worry about getting the best deal if the item is something you really want. Every 1% on interest rate adds $.40-.42 per month per $1000 financed.

But they don't schedule interest rates like that. They load interest in the front of the loan, so if you like to trade in frequently, it does make a difference.
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

I was just going over monthly loan payment amounts. I wasn't talking about how the payments were applied. I should have been more specific. Basically was trying to tell someone that if they financed $30000 at 3.5% for 60 months their payment would be ~$546 per month and every $1000 more or less would add/subtract $18.19 to the payment. But yes you payment has a higher percentage of interest front loaded. At 3.5% every thousand dollars adds an extra $92 total dollars to the cost, ($1000 principle and $92 interest)

Even if one gets a great price up front, trading in frequently really works against saving money over the long run though as the steepest depreciation in the car's value occurs early on. I keep my cars for 10 years or longer, so from my perspective a couple of thousand dollars over that period of time is not a big deal.

Your math is a little different that mine, a couple thousand dollars is quite a bit of money even if it is spread over 6 years of payments. Take the same $2000 and throw it in an index fund and could have over $3000 in 6 years.

Yes but if you have that $2000 dollars right then why don't you just put it towards the car. The reason most people get loans is because they can't afford the lump sum price of the car. If a couple thousand dollars really mattered it is also not a truly wise decision to be buying a brand new van because with that same token you could buy a used one for $10000 less and invest that extra money in an index fund.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit400 View Post
    Your math is a little different that mine, a couple thousand dollars is quite a bit of money even if it is spread over 6 years of payments. Take the same $2000 and throw it in an index fund and could have over $3000 in 6 years.
    Agree... my math says a new car and an extra $2000 in my pocket is better than a new car and an extra $2000 in the dealers pocket... Hopefully I can find a dealer to cooperate...

Was messing around on autotrader and a few dealers have put 2018s on their website.

Ed Martin Honda in Indianapolis (where I used to live) has three EXLs and an elite all listed for over $3,000 off MSRP. Almost certainly a typo but if you live near Indy may be worth taking a screenshot and calling them out on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Odyssey be below MSRP?-img_2235_1495392387876.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
    Was messing around on autotrader and a few dealers have put 2018s on their website.

Ed Martin Honda in Indianapolis (where I used to live) has three EXLs and an elite all listed for over $3,000 off MSRP. Almost certainly a typo but if you live near Indy may be worth taking a screenshot and calling them out on it.
    Very interesting indeed. The advertised price of all Odyssey at this dealer's website has a discount of just over 8% applied across the board, regardless of model year...

Quote Originally Posted by Accord07 View Post
    Very interesting indeed. The advertised price of all Odyssey at this dealer's website has a discount of just over 8% applied across the board, regardless of model year...
    Just called this dealership and they acknowledged its an error. Sale at MSRP only.

Quote Originally Posted by vipsonly View Post
    Just called this dealership and they acknowledged its an error. Sale at MSRP only.
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

So I just got an email from my Honda dealer. I have purchased 3 Ody's from her over the last decade or so...I made it clear I wanted the '18 below MSRP or I will be aggressivly shopping other dealers. She finally confimred with her sales manage they would sell me a Elite at invoice of $43.6 plus TTL plus dealer installed wheel locks and mud flaps

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast