2018 Odyssey be below MSRP?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Odyssey be below MSRP?

2018 Odyssey be below MSRP?

Hi everyone!
    I've just joined the forum with growing anticipation of the new 2018 Honda Odyssey. I currently have 2014 Odyssey Elite (with refreshed look). I purchased it back in April 2014 with MSRP price $45K but after some negotiation I got it for $39K plus TTL. (Out the door was $42K).
    So I was expecting to be able to get a 4-5K off the MSRP on the new 2018 Odyssey. However after reading a few other posts I get the idea that I should be happy to get an MSRP pricing.
    As much as I love the new 2018 Odyssey I'm not willing to purchase it at sticker price. I'm sure once the hype is over and dealers have excess of vans in their lots they'll start discounting.
    With that being said, when do you guys think I can expect to get a below MSRP pricing. 6 months from initial release date or a year?
    Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I spoke with a dealer who said they are thinking 6 months at sticker. He said he'd be surprised if it makes it that long though. He said the CR-V lasted about 3 weeks at sticker.

Only 3 weeks at sticker would be fantastic. But I doubt it.

Honda's big volume vehicles are the CRV and Civic, so you always see tons of them on the lots. Dealers may be willing to take less profit on each because of the volume. Odys are always in shorter supply (at least where I am) so dealers may hold out for more profit on each.

Also, I think it would much easier to get them to move off MSRP on the high trims.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have a local dealer who said, "my sales manager will do $500 under MSRP, even though he will get in 'trouble'"
    lol... sure he will. but that's the lowest offer I have had.

Curious to see how much room for negotiating there will be as well. Once the initial 'early buyers and low stock' period passes, of course they're going to price to sell. Honda is a volume vehicle seller across the board, all they care about is volume. I think the more good press the Pacifica gets the better leverage in negotiating we may have as well. My guess is at most 2-3 months in and these things will have plenty of room for negotiating.

Does anyone know how long the Ridgeline or Pilot stayed at MSRP when they came out? Seems to me that those vehicles might offer a better basis for comparison than the CR-V or Civic.

My initial gut reaction to this question was to think about a month or two, much more than that would be surprising to me. But I have no actual information to base that on.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

My dealer has presold everything a month or two out. He shot down any discounts pretty quick.

We can speculate all we want, but no one has a crystal ball at this point. For me it is important to get a van before summer starts because that is when we really need the extra space, hoping to get $1K off in two months doesn't do me much good; if I couldn't get the trim/colors I want in time I might as well just wait for another 12 months. I would be in the best negotiating position if the car I want is already on the dealer's lot, which as others have mentioned is far more likely to happen with higher volume cars and the most popular trim; the bulk of Odysseys my local dealers keep in stock are EX-L's, seeing an Elite trim with the colors I want does not happen often.

I think to get down near the published "invoice" price, which is where any car ought to be priced, it'll take a couple years. But at least odyssey's aren't exactly a "high demand" vehicle. In 2016, there were about 17.5 million new vehicles sold in the U.S., and of those, about 120K were odyssey's. That's about .7%. So hopefully it won't take too long for the "must have" types who will pay any price to be "cool" to be taken care of, and then the dealers will be more likely to negotiate away from msrp plus.

Also, I think it'll depend on where you are located, as demand can be higher in different locations.

I just hope our 08 will hold out for a couple more years. Trying to decide on going with a "leftover" 17, or taking the gamble..

One of the dealers here told me it'll take MSRP plus four accessories I'm forced to buy at MSRP plus ridiculous dealer fees of 1000. Yeah no thanks.

I have the luxury of waiting unlike when I had to get a 2013 because of an impending baby. I don't think invoice will happen until the end of the year when the 2019s are coming. I don't need invoice but refuse to pay MSRP unless they give me a great trade in value.

I'll let the market set itself. I want the Elite and I can't see people knocking down the doors of Honda dealers to buy what is a $50k van with all of the extra costs.

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    Does anyone know how long the Ridgeline or Pilot stayed at MSRP when they came out? Seems to me that those vehicles might offer a better basis for comparison than the CR-V or Civic.

My initial gut reaction to this question was to think about a month or two, much more than that would be surprising to me. But I have no actual information to base that on.
    My dealer still had add ons on the Pilot this year and they aren't willing to deal. The Pilot is a hot car in Houston so they aren't dealing. Now even the new CRV can be had with discounts, most dealers have 100's of them on the lot.
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

Pilot depends, last year I was able to work a deal for my dad to get $2400 off MSRP. A lot of the smaller dealers wouldn't budge (some were pretty snippy with me actually) but once a high volume dealer came in with a nice offer, I was able to get the other ones to play ball.

That's how I want to do this. There's at least 6 dealers within an hour from me, one of whom sold me my 2013 and two that have serviced it. Just gotta get one to discount and should be able to work with that.
    2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    2008 Acura MDX Tech/PTG - Steel Blue/Taupe [Traded]

Quote Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
    One of the dealers here told me it'll take MSRP plus four accessories I'm forced to buy at MSRP plus ridiculous dealer fees of 1000. Yeah no thanks.

I have the luxury of waiting unlike when I had to get a 2013 because of an impending baby. I don't think invoice will happen until the end of the year when the 2019s are coming. I don't need invoice but refuse to pay MSRP unless they give me a great trade in value.

I'll let the market set itself. I want the Elite and I can't see people knocking down the doors of Honda dealers to buy what is a $50k van with all of the extra costs.
    So they are quoting you msrp plus $1,000 in dealer fees? Are the dealer fees typical no negotiate? They are willing to throw in any 4 accessories?

I haven't done the itemized numbers but the four accessories are basically put on every van and I have to pay sticker for the vehicle and the accessories. Not thrown in. The dealer fees of 1000 are the doc fees. Unfortunately all the dealers are ridiculous here with 698 doc fees but this dealer is asking 998. I know it's pure profit.

Yeah the "dealer fee" is just a different way of saying "markup". You can even see it in their fine print, where it may say "... plus dealer fee of $399 (NOT REQUIRED BY LAW)" Emphasis mine, but still even the dealer (probably under advise of their lawyers) state in writing that the so called dealer (or documentation) fee is total BS.

Destination charge, tax, title, and registration fees are all required by law, but the dealer fees are not. You can either call them out on it, but I don't bother. I just negotiate the selling price of the vehicle factoring in the dealer fees. So if dealer A charges 500 in "fee" but dealer B charges 1000, then I know to ask for at least 500 lower price on the vehicle if I'm seriously dealing with dealer B to offset the extra 500 in dealer fees.

I've seen anything from no fee at all up to probably 1000, which is just ridiculous. Just make sure you read every offer they give you carefully since they can try to stick some fee or other on you, but they do have to show it in writing, itemized, so you can question each line and ask them to explain. All dealers are at least a little bit shady, so read all the details carefully. I remember when buying my wife's X3, the dealer included destination fee as a separate line item from vehicle MSRP on their quote, and I literally had to commandeer one of their computers, logged onto BMW's configurator website, to show them that unlike other manufacturers, BMW includes the destination charge in their MSRP pricing, so the dealer was literally trying to sneak in an extra 900 bucks into their quote.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast