Panel and Button Lighting when Using Headlights
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panel and Button Lighting when Using Headlights

Question Panel and Button Lighting when Using Headlights

Can someone please check the following during night driving.

In my 2018 Odyssey Elite, there are certain buttons that do not light up when using the headlights. (They do light up on the window up/down buttons) On dark roads during night driving it is impossible to see these bottoms.

Some examples are the following:

Steering Wheel Controls (such as volume, cruise control etc)
    Gear Selectors (Drive, Reverse etc)
    Sliding Door buttons

I'm wondering if this is on my van only and it's an issue or it was designed this way. If it was designed this way, it is a huge design flaw in my opinion, as during night driving you can see the gear selectors, cruise control, volume, temperature buttons during night driving. In fact, if it was designed this way, I think it's outright dangerous.

I appreciate your help and look forward to some feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I meant to respond to you before in the other post but totally forgot. I drove in complete darkness last night for second time and all the switches in the front is lighted, such as the windows, gear selectors, sliding door control etc on the driver dashboard left side. As well as the DVD controls. All the wording show up brightly. As well as the window control in the rear passenger doors, the horizontal white lines lights up. Not sure about the sliding door switch in the rear as I didn't get a chance to look at them. There is a brightness control knob in the driver instructment cluster, try turning that. Turn it clockwise and a brightness level bar will show up in the digital screen. You might have that turned off. I hope that helps.

Hi, I don't have this van yet but have had a look through some of the manual.

Is there a button that looks like it has a sun/moon on it? It's called the day/night icon. I wonder if this would help? I assume it's for the main screen but perhaps there is a selection for buttons?

It says that each time you press it switches from day/night/off mode.

Check page 20, 267, 313.

Page 313 has some info on saving your preferences for screen brightness etc for daytime mode and nighttime mode. Maybe if you look in those settings there might be something for the other buttons?

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATHR1818OM.PDF

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cndmamato4 View Post
    Hi, I don't have this van yet but have had a look through some of the manual.

Is there a button that looks like it has a sun/moon on it? It's called the day/night icon. I wonder if this would help? I assume it's for the main screen but perhaps there is a selection for buttons?

It says that each time you press it switches from day/night/off mode.

Check page 20, 267, 313.

Page 313 has some info on saving your preferences for screen brightness etc for daytime mode and nighttime mode. Maybe if you look in those settings there might be something for the other buttons?

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATHR1818OM.PDF
    That one you are referring to is for the center infotainment screen

Quote Originally Posted by pennidragon View Post
    I meant to respond to you before in the other post but totally forgot. I drove in complete darkness last night for second time and all the switches in the front is lighted, such as the windows, gear selectors, sliding door control etc on the driver dashboard left side. As well as the DVD controls. All the wording show up brightly. As well as the window control in the rear passenger doors, the horizontal white lines lights up. Not sure about the sliding door switch in the rear as I didn't get a chance to look at them. There is a brightness control knob in the driver instructment cluster, try turning that. Turn it clockwise and a brightness level bar will show up in the digital screen. You might have that turned off. I hope that helps.
    Thanks for the response. I know this is a bother, but perhaps you (and anyone else with the 2018 odyssey) can take a picture of the buttons that are lit up on the steering wheel and the gears... It would be a great help and greatly appreciated.

On my van the only buttons that are lit up are the Window button and maybe a few others but not any of the gears, or center buttons for A/C or any on the steering wheel. At night I can not see them at all.

I reached out to my dealer but they said that they don't have another van to check this against. I would love to show them a picture so that I don't have to go back and forth with them.

I already tried turning the knob all the way to the right, but as mentioned that's only for the ambient lighting and console, not for the buttons.

Perhaps it's a small issue such as a fuse, I'm hoping...

Thank You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2018odyelite View Post
    Can someone please check the following during night driving.

In my 2018 Odyssey Elite, there are certain buttons that do not light up when using the headlights. (They do light up on the window up/down buttons) On dark roads during night driving it is impossible to see these bottoms.

Some examples are the following:

Steering Wheel Controls (such as volume, cruise control etc)
    Gear Selectors (Drive, Reverse etc)
    Sliding Door buttons

I'm wondering if this is on my van only and it's an issue or it was designed this way. If it was designed this way, it is a huge design flaw in my opinion, as during night driving you can see the gear selectors, cruise control, volume, temperature buttons during night driving. In fact, if it was designed this way, I think it's outright dangerous.

I appreciate your help and look forward to some feedback.
    I checked mine just now and all the buttons you mention light up when I'm using my headlights. No issues. Can see everything clearly.

Here are two comparisons. Did you trying turning the knob in the speedometer? Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panel and Button Lighting when Using Headlights-img_4906_1497239194493.jpg Panel and Button Lighting when Using Headlights-img_4907_1497239194493.jpg

Nvm just saw you said you tried turning the knob. But when you turned it, did you see a brightness bar show up in the speedometer? When I turned that off all my switches go dark

All my stuff lights up. Not sure why your's doesn't???

Quote Originally Posted by pennidragon View Post
    Here are two comparisons. Did you trying turning the knob in the speedometer? Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by lindseybp View Post
    Thanks so much for these pictures.

My dealership is working on this, but they seem to say that this is a design flaw and that the buttons on the steering wheel and climate control are not supposed to light up when the headlights are turned on.

How can I prove that it is supposed to? There are no other odysseys in my neighborhood yet, so I don't know what I can do to prove it.

Perhaps some additional viewers with the new odyssey can take a picture or video clip at night showing the steering wheel and climate control buttons lighting up when the headlights are turned on? To be clear, I want to see if they light up the same way the window buttons do?

Any comments, pictures and short video clips would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss what to do.

Thank You!!

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybp View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate it.

I took my car to the dealership and they are saying that only the window buttons should light up at night and not the ones on the steering wheel, climate control, or shift gears.

If you can take a picture (or short video clip) showing how those buttons (on steering wheel and climate control) look at night comparing them to when the headlights are off vs when they are turned on, that would be a huge help.

I'm once again reaching out to 2018 odyssey owners for some help.

What I need is a picture showing the bottoms mentioned on the original post showing as lit up at night.

I did receive 2 images from a fellow poster, but having another one or two would be a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2018odyelite View Post
    I'm once again reaching out to 2018 odyssey owners for some help.

What I need is a picture showing the bottoms mentioned on the original post showing as lit up at night.

I did receive 2 images from a fellow poster, but having another one or two would be a huge help.
    Take two comparison photos of your car post it and let us see

Take two comparison photos of your car post it and let us see[/QUOTE]

My car is at the Dealership where they are trying to figure out what the issue is.

Yesterday they emailed me that they think it's a design flaw and not specific to my car.

I'm trying to get some more images to show that the lights are supposed to work.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast