Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Best solution for rear entertainment?

134K views 103 replies 50 participants last post by  JoshFink 
#1 ·
So I got the elite and wondering how flexible the rear entertainment console is?

- Does it play enough range of video formats that a USB stick with mp4/mkv movies will work fine?
- Does the head unit show what is on the rear screen at all? I am thinking about getting an android tv box to play vlc movie files, pictures, etc from USB, but worried I will have no way to control it (e.g see whats on the screen) from the front?
- Should I just get some crappy old tablet with HDMI out instead?
- Thought about a chromecast as well, but same issue as not being to see what the hell is playing.

I dont have blu-rays or dvd's to play, so its local videos or bust. Thoughts from the group?

#2 ·
I'm curious about the same. I'm planning to buy the Elite as well. I noticed a media server button in the center console screen during my test drive, but my dealer wasn't​ sure about it. I use Plex heavily at home and would love to implement it in the car. Native thru RES would be fantastic, but I'd settle for an Android box/stick. I want to be able to either stream thru LTE, or better would be to sync via WiFi and watch from the road.

The most practical/realistic option would probably be a Chromecast and a tablet, but that would be too easy :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It is vague in the owner's manual exactly what a "media server" is and "DLNA" does not appear anywhere. It also claims the feature applies to Android devices only. In reality it works with DLNA and I was able to stream video stored on an Android phone running Bubble UPnP/DLNA server. Apps that act as DLNA server do exist on iOS, so I don't know why the manual claims the feature is Android only. The trouble with Chromecast is that it requires a live Internet connection to start playback, even if you are just casting a screen playing locally stored contents - it is no big deal if you subcribe to AT&T's service on the car, but if you use a phone as a hotspot like I do you will need another phone/tablet to do the casting, because the first phone refuses to cast anything because "Wi-Fi is not turned on".

It does not appear to support Matroska Media Container, because files with mkv suffix are filtered out from the list of files. It would nice if it did, because that container supports chapters similar to a DVD/Bluray disc. With MPEG-4 container, which is officially supported, it is impossible to navigate to a certain part of the file.

Plex supports DLNA so RES should be able to access contents stored there, but I see no advantage over storing the files on a USB stick and just plugging it in, except that you won't be able to use Android Auto/CarPlay in the latter scenario.

#5 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot Touring. While, I haven't had a chance to look at the Odyssey's RES, this works for me with my pilot.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone, iPad and iPod Models (MD826AM/A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9YGrzbV5SGSQS

Twisted Veins Three (3) Pack of (3 ft) High Speed HDMI Cables + Right Angle Adapter and Velcro Cable Ties (Latest Version Supports Ethernet, 3D, and A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FX6ST8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_VITGqvfnsEjRj

You plug your iPhone charging cable into the front USB port and then plug it into the lightning adapter. You plug the HDMI connector (I use the right angle adapter as well) into the RES and connect it to the lightning adapter. Put the RES on auxiliary and you load your iPad, iPhone, iPod up with movies and the RES will mirror the movies that you have on your device.
Download the VLC app and you can watch movies that are not formatted for the iPhone.

I am sure there are similar adapters that work on non-iPhones.

#9 ·
I have a Plex server running at home with my media on it. I can access my media from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. You can, in turn, cast Plex to a cast target (ie, Chromecast). So in the Odyssey, I plug a Chromecast into the HDMI/usb (for power), and cast to it from either a tablet or a phone. The Plex server will need enough power to real-time transcode into the end quality, so as long as your server is powerful enough, or you choose a low enough quality, it will be fine. Alternatively, if you sync the media to your tablet or phone, when you cast, it will serve the content locally. This will avoid server-side transcoding, as well as save data on the mobile plan.

#11 ·
Also, anyone looking to hook up a Chromecast in their Odyssey, I used the following items to hook it up/secure it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EPIIELO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV8XR8N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/GBSTORE-Plastic-Adhesive-Adjustable-Management/dp/B01GZX6G1W/

I did need to trim a bit of plastic from the 90 degree HDMI adapter to get it to go all the way in, but it's perfect now. No worrying about it getting kicked out/bent.

If anyone wants pics, I can take some later when I get home.

#12 · (Edited)
Please do post photos! I have concerns about the Chromecast getting kicked around and possibly breaking.

Also, is LTE service and/or tethering required? I'd like to connect my sprint cell phone (non-tethered) to the Chromecast thru the built-in wifi Network, not connected to LTE. I would like to use the LTE thru my cell phone's unlimited data plan to cast Plex to the Chromecast. Is this possible? Someone mentioned earlier that Chromecast doesn't work without an internet connection. I don't have enough experience with Chromecast to confirm this.

#23 ·
I have never had a FireTV stick, but I don't see why you will have any issue playing contents streamed over the Internet and supported natively by the FireTV stick. For mirroring a phone/tablet screen to RES, however, it requires Miracast. Google removed Miracast from the last two Android releases to push its own Google Cast. It's a shame, because Miracast does not require an Internet connection to work and does not even need a WiFi access point, it can work on an ad hoc network established between just two devices. Amazon's own tablets, however, still support Miracast.

#22 ·
For files stored locally on a Android tablet or phone, I have tried a couple of ways to play them. 1) I can installed an app such as BubbleUPNP that acts as a DLNA server, RES can pull files directly from it as long as the two are connected to the same WiFi network, whether it is the onboard WiFi network or another phone acting as a WiFi hotspot, no Internet connection is needed for it to work. The drawback is that the player in RES is very primitive and there is no way to skip to a certain point within a video or resume from where the playback paused or stopped previously. It is not practical for anything beyond playing a series of short video clips. 2) Use an app such as BubbleUPNP as "controller", and a Chromecast plugged into the HDMI port as "renderer"; within BubbleUPNP you can browse to any location on the tablet/phone, including microSD card if applicable, and start playback. The video does not actually appear on the tablet/phone, you just get a progress bar showing where it is, and the buttons to stop/pause/FF/RW, and you can also jump to a particular location within the video by pressing a finger on it. The drawback with this approach is that first Chromecast requires a live Internet connection (either through onboard hotspot or a second phone acting as a hotspot, because a phone acting as a hotspot does not "see" Chromecast even though they are connected on the local network, another quirk of Chromecast) to start playback, once it starts however I have been able to keep the playback going for extended periods of time even when the Internet connection is cut. Another drawback is that the video is fed to Chromecast as-is, so it must be a format supported natively by Chromecast. 3) Similar to the previous method, using a phone and a Chromecast but mirror the entire screen. Once the screen is mirrored, anything that plays locally on the tablet/phone is shown on the RES screen. The same limitation of requiring a live Internet connection at the beginning still stands.

#54 ·
RES can pull files directly from [a DLNA server] as long as [it and the RES] are connected to the same WiFi network [including] the onboard WiFi network... no Internet connection is needed for it to work.
I believe this is what you said on 23 June. I have a Seagate Wirelsss Plus HD that I've tried to directly hook up via USB, connect via the HD's Wi-fi signal (which my phone and tablet can both see and access just fine, and the vehicle sees, but doesn't access any files on in), and the method above for media server. None seem to work. Any advice?

#26 ·
Just an update:

I had an old IPAD laying around and it works great via VLC player and the apple HDMI out dongle to the rear RES. Kids love it and I can at least pick the movies.

Also hooked up a chromecast which works equally as well. It has a USB outlet right next to USB to plug in the power.

Lots of options!

#27 ·
I just learned that the EX-L RES does not come with the cellular hotspot option, which is just ridiculous. I was ready to subscribe to the AT&T unlimited plan for $20 a month. Streaming from my phone would be cost prohibitive. Now I'm looking for streaming options.

I have a Kingston 64GB wifi drive which I thought would work. When attached to the front USB port, the RES USB input listed all the videos, but none would play. I connected to the vehicle wifi, but the RES doesn't see it as a media server. There is a Kingston app to connect to phones/tablets. I have to check what format the files are, but I ripped them myself with Handbrake and have been able to play them on other devices. A Simple USB drive should be a viable solution.

I'd really love more details on what USB and Media Server options are supported. My last resort would be to connect an Apple TV to the HDMI port and AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad. I've already successfully connected a Firestick to the HDMI, but that's worthless without a cellular data plan.

#29 ·
AT&T has two unlimited plans. The cheaper plan doesn't include hotspots. The higher, more expensive plan includes hotspots. My current 15GB shared plan includes hotspots, but I have six lines, so streaming video is not a viable option. Upgrading my plan would cost a lot more than the unlimited $20 Odyssey hotspot.

#33 ·
I tried a USB drive with a mix of .mp4 and . m4v formats. I see a list of all the movies, buy all return "Selected file cannot be played on this system". WTF? I paid all this money for a RES, advertised with all these available "tech" features, and it can't play a file format from a few years ago that plays on every other device?

#34 ·
m4v and MP4 files are working for me using USB port in the center console. The tested m4v/mp4's are mostly H264 and multichannel aac audio (a couple were 2-channel). Mkv files are not recognized/listed. Can control file selection, volume, and audio zones from the front. Display adjustments need to be made from remote. Remote has responsiveness issues. Sound quality is subpar compared to blu-ray disk and other sources even with good file quality (had to turn volume higher than other sources as well).

#35 ·
This is one of the first things that I did when I got the Elite last week. I took an Nvidia Shield and plugged it into the HDMI port. It has a built in Plex Server which works out great. I then took some media and copied it over to a USB 4TB hard drive and plugged it into the back. I already had a hotspot so I used my own but it should be the same with the build in hotspot. With this setup I can connect back to my home Plex server and stream over the HotSpot or I can just play all the local media from the USB drive. Plex/Shield will play a ton of different media so it wasn't necessary to convert the media to a usable format specific for the Odyssey.

The nice thing about the Plex server on the Shield is that even though I can play through the RES my kids can also use their iPads to connect to the Plex server and stream a different show than is what is currently playing.

A nice side effect of getting the Odyssey Floor Mats was that since the Shield is tapered on one end, it just snugged back in the bottom error between the center console and the floor mats. It stayed put for a 10 hour drive.

My only complaint is the lack of an always on power. When I turn off the car the whole Shield turns off and then I need to wait for it to reboot. I know there is the concern about battery life.

#42 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, do you have the $199 Shield or the $299 Shield Pro? The latter is intended to use as a server because it has a large storage drive. But from your description it sounds like you are using it as a receiver (since your media is stored on an external drive as well at streamed from home server).

So if the $199 device is sufficient, I'm wondering if I could get by with an even cheaper Roku/Nexus/Fire device. Obviously the device won't be as powerful as the Shield, but I would be less worried about damaging the product when the vehicle is turned off during playback.

I'm looking for a long term / permanent solution. I couldn't tell from your description if you installed the Shield for a single trip, or if it is for the long term.

I'm very interested in hearing back from you. I currently use Nexus Players on each of my 3 TVs at home to connect to my Plex server. I'm planning to upgrade each of them to Shield ($199) if I can find a good deal. I'm also trying to figure out a solution for a near future '18 Elite purchase.

Thanks!

#37 ·
Purchased the Mobley online from AT&T with the $20 a month unlimited plan. My local AT&T store was clueless. For details search "AT&T connected car". I had read that the $20 price is a limited time promotion and may end 7/17. It was more cost effective to add the Mobley than changing from my current shared data plan which AT&T no longer offers. I figure the data usage while in the Odyssey should reduce the total data usage on our shared plan allowing us to not have to worry about going over the shared plan.

Very easy to set up. My wife was out with the Odyssey last night, so I did the initial setup connected to my car. Popped it out of my car this morning and plugged it into the Odyssey. I was getting between 12-14 Mbs download speeds in my driveway. I'm really curious to see how it performs driving from NJ to FL next month.

Now I need to better understand the difference between Network and Hotspot settings. I would prefer to connect the Odyssey to the Mobley, then have devices connect to the Odyssey. The Mobley is limited to 5 connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.