Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Wireless Headphones

48K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  noel.mcg.08 
#1 ·
Can other wireless headphones such as Beats be used with the RES or can you only use factory ones?

#9 ·
Unfortunately, Beats (and other common headphone manufacturers) don't make infrared headphones - they make bluetooth headphones. Infrared headphones are designed for different reasons than bluetooth headphones.
1) IR headphones can not be used in the front seat. I don't think that car makers (including Honda) want to have drivers wearing headphones. The IR transmitter only transmits into the rear seat, so this prevents the driver from being able to use the headphones.

2) The IR headphones use much less power than Bluetooth. This means that they can be used for longer hours than the Bluetooth alternative.

3) Some parents are a little cautious about having a radio frequency Bluetooth device near their children's head. Infrared uses light and not radio waves to receive the sound.

4) IR is just easier to use. No pairing needed - they come programmed to your make/model. All a user has to do is put batteries in and sit in the rear seat. No parent wants to deal with codes or pairing or nonsense.

If you are looking for an alternative to the factory headphones, I would recommend trying something like this:

#10 ·
4) IR is just easier to use. No pairing needed - they come programmed to your make/model. All a user has to do is put batteries in and sit in the rear seat. No parent wants to deal with codes or pairing or nonsense.
Good points! Was wondering if you can elaborate on number 4. If I wanted to get a 3rd/4th pair for the 3rd row seats, I would have to program them? Sounds the same as pairing, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The IR headphones that came with my 2022 Odyssey just suck. There’s always terrible static to where the kids can barely hear the movies over it. I went to Best Buy to get some new ones and was told this particular one should be fine. It’s a JLab StudioPro, wireless using Bluetooth. However, the car refuses to connect to it. And on the rare occasions it actually “sees” the device, it says it “couldn’t verify pairing code. Cancelling pairing”. Well of course I can’t enter a pairing code on headphones!!! Can anyone help or do I have to go back to Best Buy?? Also, I’m not sure if it would allow connecting 2 headphones at the same time…

#13 ·
You said the magic word already "Infrared", this is not Bluetooth. It will never pair or mate or talk to one another. The fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants sales peopled doesn't realize that they are incompatible to your ODY. Yes, the ODY has a Bluetooth but it does not transfer from DVD player (video) to Bluetooth headphones. That is the connection it makes with the cell phones (Android, Apple). I use this method for listening off from my cell-Android for listening through YouTube for music that I do not have with me. I know you can use it for quite a few Apps, to put onto your video like Goggle Maps and that arena, but even in the App world it is very limited what it can do. Others here can probably let you know what other Infrared headphones will work

And as far as Best Buy goes, tell them they should know that Bluetooth will never talk with Infrared in a ODY!

Reactions: MtMan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.