I have no idea what this problem is
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have no idea what this problem is

Unhappy I have no idea what this problem is

I have this weird problem similar to the idleing problem that frock is experiencing on his 2002 Ody. however my RPM gauge is very unstable. at times the rpm is normal having the proper amount of rpms given to the throttle. but whenever I seem to go uphill or down hill I get a RPM malfunction. this happens around 20-40 MPH and my RPM jump from its 2500RPM to 4500RPM. I took it in to Honda twice already and they tryed to fix it but I reall doubt they did. What do you think the problem is. It sucks to have a car not being ready to use.
    2002 Evergreen pearl ody
    Leather- RES
    soon to be modified

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

nds
    Do you believe the tachometer is not showing the actual engine speed, or do you believe the engine speed is changing when it should not be?

I hope you do understand how a transmission works and the fact that the RPM of the engine will jump up or down when the transmission shifts. When you are going up or down hill, the transmission is likely to shift to a lower gear, allowing the engine to run faster for a given vehicle speed. In an automatic transmission, you have less relationship between the accelerator pedal and the engine speed than you do in a manual transmission. Engine speed will change when the transmission shifts and you hold your foot steady on the throttle.

Kind of sounds normal to me. try going up/down the same hill with the transmission in D3. You'll have a higher RPM, but it should stay constant.

Mike
    2003 EX-L RES SS

My four-speed transmission causes a lot of rpm fluctuation on hills. On the uphill, the converter will unlock, causing a jump in rpm and, should the hill be steep enough, the very sensitive (great feature, by the way) part-throttle downshift will cause another jump. One the downhill side, the trans. can automatically drop a gear (grade logic feature), causing the ol' tach needle to swing again. What you describe could be normal.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements