Honda Odyssey Forum banner

The metal frame is making noise.

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  lookinco 
#1 ·
After through examination , i finally found out where the noise is coming from whenever i accelerate, brake, or turn. The noise is coming from the metal pillar between the front driver door and the driver side sliding door. The noise is at the top of the pillar where it attachs to the roof. The noise it makes are "tick tick tick tick tick" There are nothing hitting the frame outside and i could hear the sound is from inside. Any body have experience with this ? Anyone know how to solve the problem ? The sound is VERY annoying espeically now that I know where the sound is coming from.

Thanks

#2 ·
I had a similar noise on my 98 Accord coming from the "B" pillar. The dealer ended up bnding the sheet metal around the spot welds so that when the body flexed (they all flex, it's not really possible to design a car that doesn't flex a little), it doesn't pop, tick, or creak. Mine would make noise with acceleration or stopping, but not in turns.

#4 ·
Hey lookinco-

I have heard this 'tick" many of times.. It comes directly from the "B" pillar just behind the drivers left ear..

Now..lets assume a door is creating this noise and rule out the "B" pillar frame..

What you want to do is to re-create the same noise.. but this time, keep the sliding door open w/ LF door closed OR keep the drivers door un-latched w/ sliding door latched.. lets find out exactly what is creating the vibration..

#5 ·
That's exactly what I tired today. I found a pot hole in my back alley and whenever my wheels run over the hole the B pillar will "TICK". Then I tried running over and over the pot hole with both door closed, just the slider opened, just the driver door opened, and both doors open. The tick is present in ALL the cases.

#6 ·
I have the same noise. The fact that it is comming from an area just next to my left ear is really annoying, I hear it all the time I drive over a bump or pothole. I noticed that there are wires traveling inside this pillar. There is a plastic plug around the middle of the pillar and if you remove it you can see the wires. I assume that the noise is comming from the wires rattling inside the pillar. I haven't taken time to seriously try to find a solution but I'm prety sure it can be fixed.

#10 ·
Can someone print off the following TSB which might explain this problem.... Looks pretty old but it might help.... Thanks!

Make : HONDA Model : ODYSSEY Year : 2003
Service Bulletin Num : 02045 Date of Bulletin: OCT 29, 2002
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT
Summary:
CREAKING OR TICKING NOISE FROM THE DASHBOARD OR A FRONT STRUT. *TT

G
#13 ·
hiking_arizona said:
Still would be nice to see what this TSB is all about... The TSB description might be be wrong and as others have mentioned there are often additional rattles/noises.
That probably refers to the TSB where they apply some sort of hard rubber shim to the upper spring perch or to the strut mount. I had this ticking last year and brought it in, had this TSB applied, and the ticking is gone.

Wayne

#14 ·
It's sound familiar..I have the ticking noise on my 03 EXL coming from passenger side dash, I thought but when the tech test drove it, he determined it was at A-pillar. The spot weld that particular but the ticking noise was still there. After a few days of troubleshooting and calling tech line, he finally pinpoint the problem, ticking noise was coming from the strut housing.

How many miles do you have on your Ody? Mine was less than 700 miles when it occured.

Ticking noise could be resonating from certain area. It's tough to troubleshoot that problem.

#15 ·
Will honda actaully care about you when you tell them there is a ticking sound or will they just say it's normal ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.