Clicking Under The Hood
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clicking Under The Hood

Post Clicking Under The Hood

I had been noticing an obvious clicking sound under the hood, above the front left wheel area on our 2001 Ody. Thinking there was a problem, when I went to the dealer they all knew about this and said it was normal. Apparently it is a part in the emission control system, and some people can even hear the clicking inside the van. The dealer said it is a problem if the clicking ever stops.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else hears clicking in their Ody.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
    1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
    Previous Hondas:
    1992 Accord EX, White
    1982 Accord DX, Silver

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
    Previous Hondas:
    1992 Accord EX, White
    1982 Accord DX, Silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Steve, what kind of click and how loud is it? My clicking wouldn't stop, so I gave them the car back, and they took it! The new car doesn't click, and I'd hate to think it's supposed to since the other one once did. ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
    Steve, what kind of click and how loud is it? My clicking wouldn't stop, so I gave them the car back, and they took it! The new car doesn't click, and I'd hate to think it's supposed to since the other one once did. ? </font>
    I think Steve Pert was referring to the little black device (labeled "Denso") near the master brake cylinder. Once the car is warmed up, you can hear something vibrating/clicking inside, although I haven't heard it from the inside the van.

OK, now I'm confused. During a very long trip up north (I live in the southwest), I parked the Ody for almost two weeks. We used other people's vehicles to get around. Three times I went out to the Ody to move it... it was parked in temparture that regularly hit -5 at night and barely above 15 during the day. Anyway, the Ody made a very loud "clicking" noise when it was first started (and running). It was coming from that "black box" mentioned earlier... at least that is where I think it was coming from. To be honest I was too darn cold to sit there and listen! I was very concerned and hated the thought of a trip back to the dealer when I got home. Well, each time the clicking stopped (or maybe lessoned) after the vehicle warmed up.

The Ody has never done this at home... where it doesn't even get CLOSE to 32 degrees . It has not done it since. I figured it was a cold thing. BTW, the Ody had a hard time turning over each time... that battery seems pretty weak (I think it is rated at 550 CCA). What do you "cold weather" people think?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
    Steve, what kind of click and how loud is it? My clicking wouldn't stop, so I gave them the car back, and they took it! The new car doesn't click, and I'd hate to think it's supposed to since the other one once did. ? </font>
    It's not very loud, but still is very noticeable when standing next to the hood. To describe it, it almost sounds like a piece of paper or a leaf being struck by something rotating fast. The click is probably 4-6 times a second.

I have only noticed it when the car is warmed up, and have not looked for it when just starting a cold engine. Also haven't tried listening to it at different RPMs, just at idle.

Yes, "Denso" was what the service guys were calling it. They all seemed to know what it was and that it was normal.
    --Steve

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
    Previous Hondas:
    1992 Accord EX, White
    1982 Accord DX, Silver

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:

Yes, "Denso" was what the service guys were calling it. They all seemed to know what it was and that it was normal.
    --Steve
    </font>
    Odd, "Denso" is short for Nippon-Denso, the auto parts company that manufactures spark plugs,a/c systems,etc. mainly for Toyotas.
    Either they made it up or it means something else.
    I have this sound in my Ody.At first it bothered me. Only hear it at idle, outside not from the inside, and it's coming from that little solenoid thingy.

------------------
    -ROB-
    '01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK
    -Rob-
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS/1992 Mazda Miata

Cool

Maybe it is the sound of the pump pressurizing the ABS braking system. I have heard such a sound when bleeding same.

------------------
    2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
    2000 Honda CBR 929 RR
    Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

The "Denso" item referred to seems to be the Evaporative Emission Cannister Purge Valve (there's a mouthful). It would be quite easy to determine whether that is the source of the noise. You could use an automotive stethoscope or just a wooden dowel held against the item and against your ear. If the noise is coming from that item, you will know. It would seem to have a ball or some sort of mechanical item inside, which can be made to click just by tapping on it.

One other clicking noise which can often be heard on late model engines is the operation of the fuel injectors. On my DC/Mitsubishi motor, it sounded just like valve lifter noise, almost from day one. Just a thought.

Jerry O.

------------------
    2001 Odyssey GG LX
    2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements