Burning metal-plastic smell??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning metal-plastic smell??

Exclamation Burning metal-plastic smell??

We have 31K on our O1 Odyssey. During some north Georgia mountain driving we noticed a peculiar smell when we came to a stop (like burning plastic-metal). The engine temp was good and no smoke seen anywhere. I noticed it more after climbing some hills rather than upon the descent. It smelled strongest from the front right tire (wheel area). I was curious if this could be the brake pads going?? No squeeking or squeal noises were heard. Appreciate anyone's insight. The brake pads are still the original.
    Jamescanine 01 LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wayne Lim

Re: Burning metal-plastic smell??

Originally posted by jamescanine
    We have 31K on our O1 Odyssey. During some north Georgia mountain driving we noticed a peculiar smell when we came to a stop (like burning plastic-metal). The engine temp was good and no smoke seen anywhere. I noticed it more after climbing some hills rather than upon the descent. It smelled strongest from the front right tire (wheel area). I was curious if this could be the brake pads going?? No squeeking or squeal noises were heard. Appreciate anyone's insight. The brake pads are still the original.
    That could be almost anything. Have you taken a peek under the car? It could hopefully be as simple as getting a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust somewhere, but it might also be your pads. 31k is a pretty decent time to have driven on the OEM pads, but I too thought they had indicators that would squeal as you got near the end of life.

Wayne

burning smell

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I peaked under the car as best I could by lying on the ground and looking around and everything looked fine. Did your brake pads go bad prior to getting the "Squeal?" I will post what I find out when I'm able. We are on vacation and no Honda dealers nearby.

J
    Jamescanine 01 LX

Wayne Lim

Re: burning smell

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I peaked under the car as best I could by lying on the ground and looking around and everything looked fine. Did your brake pads go bad prior to getting the "Squeal?" I will post what I find out when I'm able. We are on vacation and no Honda dealers nearby.

J
    We've got only 18k miles on our and are still on the original pads. I haven't worn them down to where they should squeal, but I was under the impression that all brake systems employ pads that will squeal before they're so worn they chew up your rotor. I just assume our Ody has them also.

Are you still getting the smell?

Wayne

Sounds like hot brake pad smell. Normal if your using the brakes hard and really isn't an indication of the amount of wear on the pads.
    New brake pads will smell the same if hot.
    With your miles, it may be a good idea to check how worn the front pads and rotors are.
    ---------------------------------------------
    '02 Ody EX-L
    "Aardvaark" Version II. Rear anti-sway bar.
    Astrostart 903 remote starter.
    "Aardvaark" reverse vent window mod.
    Hayden 677 ATF cooler.
    Cold weather reverse clunk tranny.
    Running happy on 5W30.

1975 Opel Manta.

1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau Coupe. Factory a/c.
    Running happy on 10W40.

'87 Honda HR214SXA mower (No mods).
    '04 Honda HS520A snow blower (No mods).

SCCA member since 1973.

Re: Burning metal-plastic smell??

We have 31K on our O1 Odyssey. During some north Georgia mountain driving we noticed a peculiar smell when we came to a stop (like burning plastic-metal). ....
    Was that after ascending or descending the hills.

If ascending, I might think the exhaust would have been hot or v. hot and heating the materials on teh undersice of the floor.

If descending, I'd say the brakes and I would expect them to be perfectly OK once they cooled down. (Although it is not unheard of that disks warp after extended periods at high temperature, which you would subsequently feel as a pulse in teh brakes.)
    Ninifikit

We had the van checked out and no problems seen. Brakes and pads are fine at the mileage I noted in OP. No recurrence of the smell and van seems to be working fine. Thanks to those who sent in ideas and thoughts.

JB
    Jamescanine 01 LX

We had the van checked out and no problems seen. Brakes and pads are fine at the mileage I noted in OP. No recurrence of the smell and van seems to be working fine. Thanks to those who sent in ideas and thoughts.

JB
    It was your brake pads overheating. This happens when you brake a lot in hilly terrain. You are not likely to see any evidence of this on your brake pads. Where you will experience future issues is with spongy pedal and brake fade.

Also, the brake fluid boils in the caliper during overheating and should be bled out to avoid premature or uneven brake pad wear.
    2000 Odyssey LX - Sold it a 91,900 miles with Gator A/T and last tank got 15 mpg city due to 82C thermostat and Bosch O2 Sensor. I'm NOT gonna miss that truck-riding pig ass design flawed shoe box on wheels.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements