Just replaced a brake light bulb..now its out again?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just replaced a brake light bulb..now its out again?

Just replaced a brake light bulb..now its out again?

2005 LX.
    Noticed the other day that one of the brake lights was out (passenger side)
    Headed down to autozone, and picked up a new bulb (called for #7443)
    So, replaced it on Sunday, and made sure it worked.
    Wife just left 2 minutes ago, looked outside, and the brake light is out again?
    (I know the bad bulb was bad, as when I replaced it, I put it on the driver side and it also did not work...when I moved the good bulb to the pass side, it worked)
    Was thinking a bad connection, but what wqould cause the bulb to fail after 1 day of use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Tried to edit the original post, but could not find the edit function.
    In addition, the Odyssey does have a wiring harness installed for a trailer. (Its a 7 pin plug for our popup)
    Never had a problem with the brake light before until now

Well, it could have been a defective bulb to start with. It seems that all incandscent light bulb manufacturers have been increasingly stingy with the amount of tungsten that they are using in bulb filaments, and this is directly proportional to bulb life.

I know in the 15W and 25W world of appliance bulbs such as those used in vacuum cleaners and sewing machines, you simply cannot find a high-quality bulb any longer, but that's another story. And these supposed "long-life" automotive bulbs that they are selling, well, they definitely don't last as long as the "normal-life" bulbs did from years past. I'm burning through a whole bag of 921 "long-life" bulbs for the center high-mounted brake light, I change those about once per year which is a joke (especially when you consider that fact that pre-1999 Odysseys came with far-superior LED center brake lights which ever since then have NOT been used on any Odyssey by Honda, hmmmmm).

Replace it again, monitor for early failure, if you are seeing repeated failures then there is something else going on (how hard and how often does the back hatch get slammed?).
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by redmondjp View Post
    Well, it could have been a defective bulb to start with. It seems that all incandscent light bulb manufacturers have been increasingly stingy with the amount of tungsten that they are using in bulb filaments, and this is directly proportional to bulb life.

I know in the 15W and 25W world of appliance bulbs such as those used in vacuum cleaners and sewing machines, you simply cannot find a high-quality bulb any longer, but that's another story. And these supposed "long-life" automotive bulbs that they are selling, well, they definitely don't last as long as the "normal-life" bulbs did from years past. I'm burning through a whole bag of 921 "long-life" bulbs for the center high-mounted brake light, I change those about once per year which is a joke (especially when you consider that fact that pre-1999 Odysseys came with far-superior LED center brake lights which ever since then have NOT been used on any Odyssey by Honda, hmmmmm).

Replace it again, monitor for early failure, if you are seeing repeated failures then there is something else going on (how hard and how often does the back hatch get slammed?).
    Third brake light just needs an LED replacement and you never need another. This is what I use.

2x White T10 Flux LED SMD Bulbs 921 168 194 L14 wedge - eBay (item 130396778297 end time Feb-25-11 07:41:42 PST)

I use this one on my other car
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hot-R...Q5fAccessories

It's cooler, uses less power, comes on faster, and never needs replacement.
    Last edited by gregersonke; 02-11-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

I've had the same thing happen over the years. Seems like after the second or third time you replace it in a row it doesn't go out. May be low quality bulbs.
    2001 Odyssey - 199k
    1999 CR-V - 243k
    1998 Camry - 202k
    ~ Wise men still seek him

Quote Originally Posted by gurtljb View Post
    I've had the same thing happen over the years. Seems like after the second or third time you replace it in a row it doesn't go out. May be low quality bulbs.
    Be careful not to touch the glass of the bulb. Chemicals from your hands could shorten the life of the bulb also.
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

DrD
    Quote Originally Posted by psu ody fan View Post
    Be careful not to touch the glass of the bulb. Chemicals from your hands could shorten the life of the bulb also.
    That's true for quartz capsules such as found on a headlight, but not for the regular incandescents you use for directionals, brake lights, etc. - they work just fine when the glass is dirty.

I was going through various posts trying to find an answer since I am having a similar issue.... I've been driving around (and irritating other drivers) using my high beams because my passenger headlight was burned out. I decided today to go and replace it at Autozone. I put the new bulb in and it doesn't work either.... I player with the wire but nothing gets this light to work. Thoughts?
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV:
    Exterior Color: Starlight Silver Metallic Clearcoat NH-638M-4
    Interior Color: Quartz
    Mileage: 194.000+

Tranny #2 (93.000-miles), Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Honda (III) hitch, Built-in radar and 17" RES.

The headlight circuits are separate. There are separate relays in the under hood box. Use a voltmeter and trace out the circuit. Also fuse 45 for left and 43 for right.
    Last edited by William Wiles; 02-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.

DrD
    Actually, while there are two relays, one is for low beams, the other for high beams, so if one of them works, the relay is fine.

There are two fuses, though - odds are the fuse is your problem.
    Last edited by DrD; 02-26-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: noticed this is an 02!

DrD that is not true. Look at thre wiring diagram. The relays and fuses are separate for left and right as I stated above. In canada there is a lowbeam cut relay that controld the low beams of both sides.

Since I can only edit my post for 10 minutes I will post a new entry.

While the origonal OP has a 2005 odyssey the poster I replied to lists a 2002 odyssey. I do not have the diagram for gen 3 so who knows how it is wired. However the gen 2 is as I stated. This is a problem with trying to jam all the posts on a problem on one thread. They need to be separated at least by the vehicle generation.

DrD
    Well - I don't have the wiring manual for the 02, but for an 05, there are two relays, one is the high beam relay, the other the low. Each bulb (high and low for both sides) also has its own fuse.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements