Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2002 Ody Power steering problem

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Candles 
#1 ·
Hoping I can get some help here,

I recently had to change my alternator in my van :frown:..In the process I had to move a couple of items outta the way to get the unit out and new one back in. One of the items I had to move slightly was the power steering pump....When I did so all I did was just remove the the bolts that hold the PS pump and slightly move the pump over(didn't remove any hoses)..the other was the PS bottle(didn't remove any hoses)& one of the timing covers.Before this simple task I had no problems wit my power steering,but ever since I replaced my alternator and put everything back in it's place,my power steering system has been whining.:nothappy:

I am very mechanically inclined so the first thing I did was chk for any leaks on the grounds & the fluid level and topped it off,once I did that, the fluid would overflow outta the bottle and I noticed that it was getting air in the system somewhere(bubbles in the bottle).After doing an inspection,I dont have any leaks,kinks,etc in the hoses.There's not much to a PS system,but its definite that I have a problem here:huh: and it's driving me nuts. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!!!:coolio:

#2 · (Edited)
Belt slippage can sound like a whine, so first off, check the tension on the belt -- a common problem. The belt has a specified tension. You can either use a belt tensioning tool or, exert a given amount of pressure manually in order to give the required belt deflection distance. The latter method is often done by feel if you have had experience with how it is supposed to feel with the proper tension. Nominal 2002 used belt: 22 lbf gives about 0.51 to 0.65 inch deflection.

I am puzzled by the fluid overflow.

#3 ·
This was a common fix for many PS leaks:

"Air is entering the power steering pump through the inlet joint O-ring. This causes bubbles to form in the power steering fluid, leading to reduced pump
performance. Replace the O-ring."

#5 ·
Hoping I can get some help here

I am very mechanically inclined so the first thing I did was chk for any leaks on the grounds & the fluid level and topped it off,once I did that, the fluid would overflow outta the bottle and I noticed that it was getting air in the system somewhere(bubbles in the bottle).After doing an inspection,I dont have any leaks,kinks,etc in the hoses.There's not much to a PS system,but its definite that I have a problem here:huh: and it's driving me nuts. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!!!:coolio:[/QUOTE]

j954sho before you do that pls ck this post 1st...... more to it than just one
o-ring.....
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/42851-possible-power-steering-problem-fix.html

gettocar

#6 ·
I am very mechanically inclined so the first thing I did was chk for any leaks on the grounds & the fluid level and topped it off,once I did that, the fluid would overflow outta the bottle and I noticed that it was getting air in the system somewhere(bubbles in the bottle).After doing an inspection,I dont have any leaks,kinks,etc in the hoses.There's not much to a PS system,but its definite that I have a problem here:huh: and it's driving me nuts. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!!!:coolio:
j954sho before you do that pls ck this post 1st...... more to it than just one
o-ring.....
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/42851-possible-power-steering-problem-fix.html

gettocar[/QUOTE]

Thks for the added input...any and all help is appreciated!!

#7 ·
I have a 2007 Ody. In November 2013, the bearing in the PAS pump started whining. I bought a remanufactured 'Duralast' version at Autozone for $124 and installed it. All seemed fine until the dreaded symptoms of air in the system started appearing.

Over a few weeks, I unwillingly became an expert at taking off the belt, pulley and pump to try a different o-ring etc. It almost cured it every time, but on returning home from a tight parking lot, sure enough, the wife would complain; "Oh, the steering went jerky again today."

I ended up taking the remanufactured pump back to Autozone for another exchange. This time it seems as if the combination of the Duralast red inner o-ring, with a genuine newly-purchased Honda outer o-ring has fixed it. Time will tell....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.