Battery Dead
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Dead

Battery Dead

I just purchased a used 2008 Odyssey Touring with 33k miles. Battery was replaced in 12/09.

Here's what happened:

Purchased Sat night, parked it in my garage and went top bed (checked on it twice!) No lights where left on as my garage was very dark.

Sunday morning went out to garage, opened both side doors with the remote and also the liftgate with the remote then proceeded to configure the seating positions for my 4 kids, took about 1 1/2 hrs to get all carsetas installed. Then wanted to program the memory for the drivers seat. Took about 5 mins to get the seat where I wanted it and the mirrors aligned. During that time the seat stopped adjusting. So I tried to start the vehicle and all I got was a clicking noise. Battery was dead and van would not start. I called the dealer I just purchased from and they said to jump it and bring it in. That maybe the alarm was not activated correctly and drained the battery.

More info: The van has an alarm (factory I think), I have the indicator on the dash (flashes red when activated) and I also have a green indicator light under the steering wheel. 15 mins after beginning my seat configuration I opened the drivers side door and had it opened for a few mins then shut it, when I shut it the car sounded with 5 or 6 quick beeps. this then also happened everytime I closed any of the doors. I thought maybe the alarm was set too sensitive. But why would the alarm arm itself when doors are open. The only alarm activity is the green light under the dash and not the red indicator light on the dash.

This is what that green light does: unlock the van; solid green then approx 2 mins after unlocking the van without starting it or relocking it the green light begins to flash rapidily for approx 20 seconds then switches to a slow steady blink. If I open any of the doors and then close them the van beeps (quick beeps) 5-6 times at me.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I can't get back to the dealer until saturday due to work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

txn
    This is my guess regarding the battery:
    The car probably sat on dealer's lot w/o being driven long enough to fully charge the battery.
    Then you got the car home and started playing with doors, seat, mirror.
    Dome lights probably were also on.
    All that probably drained the battery enough so you couldn't start the car.

My kids like to watch DVDs while waiting for their siblings to finish after school activities.
    If the van was not driven long enough to recharge, it would be harder to start the next morning, especially when it was very cold.
    So I bought a slow charger and hooked up to the battery to recharge it once a week. No longer have to worry about dead battery.
    Probably help battery last a bit longer to recoup the cost of the charger ($20 +shipping).
    Last edited by txn; 04-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    2008 Odyssey EXL w/ RES (CPO)
    - Dec 2010: TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed
    TSB 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

I drove it for 30 mins from the dealer to my house. How long would it take to get a full charge?

After spending $30k on a vehicle it doesnt make me happy to think I have to buy a battery charger to insure my wife doesnt get stuck somewhere!!!

txn
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo1821 View Post
    I drove it for 30 mins from the dealer to my house. How long would it take to get a full charge?

After spending $30k on a vehicle it doesnt make me happy to think I have to buy a battery charger to insure my wife doesnt get stuck somewhere!!!
    After sitting on dealer's lot for a while, I think the battery became weak due to slider doors being opened or closed repeatedly by potential buyers.

While driving, the alternator has to supply current for other accessory things so the battery is not getting as much current to recharge in 30 minutes.

The battery was drained further while you were doing the car seat install for 1.5 hours (probably with the interiors lights on).
    At this point, battery could still power accessories but not enough to turn the engine over to start the car.

I think what you need is to recharge the battery and the best way is to do a slow charge overnight. A fast charge (ie 30 minutes) will not bring it back to 100%.
    I believe Autozone has this overnight service but I am not sure of the details.

After the overnight charge, the battery is back to 100% and it should be good to go for a few years.

In my case, my kids used the DVD for up to 90 minutes while engine was off and that reduced the battery's capacity big time.
    There may be enough juice to start the car and get everyone home, but the short drive home was not enough to bring the battery back to the level where it could start the car the next day.

That's why I use the slow battery charge to recharge overnight (once a week) to ensure the car will start the next day.

Even with the charger, my Ody already had 1 no-start after kid left door slightly open and interior light was on for 4 hours. Then kid closed the door w/o telling parents. Next day, Ody needed a jump.

You don't need to buy a slow charger unless your family often use the accessories while engine is off (like mine).

txn
    Here is another example of dead battery right after delivery of a new 2011 Lexus RX 350.
    Newly picked up RX WON'T start 30 mins after delivery ! - Club Lexus Forums

Driving 30 minutes will certainly not completely recharge your battery if it is significantly down in charge (which is sounds like it was).

Do yourself a favor - buy a small fully-automatic trickle charger and put it on your battery at least once a week. You will gain 2-3 years of battery life if you do this. My sister has taken to doing this as she mostly uses hers for soccer-mom duty.

The Odysseys are notorious for eating batteries, especially if used for lots of short-trip driving or are not driven on the highway on a regular basis. With lots of electrical accessories on, short-drip driving can actually lower the overall charge in your battery, as you are simply pulling out more energy from the battery than is being put back in.
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

txn
    When we were out of town for 2 weeks last winter, the Ody and Toyota sat in the very cold garage.
    When we came back, the Toyota didn't start and required a jump. The Ody started but it was straining to turn over a very cold engine.
    Both auto's are newer models that have lots of always-on, battery-sapping electronics.
    Next winter, when I go out of town for 2 weeks, I will use my slow chargers.

The Ody uses Honda-branded Group 24F battery with 52x CCA.
    The Toyota used Toyota-branded Group 24F battery with 58x CCA.
    Advanced Auto Parts sells a 24F battery with 700 CCA (probably 2 or 3 pounds heavier than the OEMs).
    Most likely Toyota and Honda chose lesser capacity batteries to save on weight.

Last summer, my wife took the oddy to michigan and valet parked it in the hotel for five days. Battery came out dead but after jump starting and driving from grand rapids back to chicago(200 miles) the battery still wasn't fully charged. That wasn't by measuring voltage, just by looking to see if the eye was green. I left it overnight on my 5amp charger and all was green in the morning. I think the hotel left the tailgate ajar after unloading the oddy for her. Upon advice of the members here I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and the battery test came back okay.
    '08 EX-L

The common misconception about alternators is that they will charge your battery. On most automotive systems the alternator does nothing more than run all the vehicles electronics and ignition, etc, and then has a little left over to top off and maintain a healthy battery. If you have a weak or run down battery the alternator wont fully charge it unless you are driving for several hours. Short trips will keep the battery operational but not fully charged, which over time will reduce the life of the battery.

Its a good idea to have a charger available, they are inexpensive, to keep the battery in good health if the car will sit or has sat for an extended time.

Quote Originally Posted by rdalley View Post
    The common misconception about alternators is that they will charge your battery. On most automotive systems the alternator does nothing more than run all the vehicles electronics and ignition, etc, and then has a little left over to top off and maintain a healthy battery. If you have a weak or run down battery the alternator wont fully charge it unless you are driving for several hours. Short trips will keep the battery operational but not fully charged, which over time will reduce the life of the battery.

Its a good idea to have a charger available, they are inexpensive, to keep the battery in good health if the car will sit or has sat for an extended time.
    Not only are they inexpensive, but they last forever. Mine is currently 20-25 years old. The only reason it replaced my previous charger was I needed a dual voltage charger ( 6V and 12V) for my wife's Moped that we had in the mid-eighties.

On a sable wagon we had the interior light switch was a wheel on the lower part of the dash and when my wife pulled her purse out of the foorwell, she would turn on the interior light which she didn't notice in the daylight. By the end of the workday the battery was dead. The charger got a good workout then.
    '08 EX-L

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements