Water leak at back of engine bay
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water leak at back of engine bay

Water leak at back of engine bay

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the pipe coming OUT of the passenger section into the engine bay on the left side of the Ody is?

I've got a 96 2.2ltr and just noticed a small pool of water just near the passenger (left hand side) front wheel (about 15 inches in fron it). Looking in the engine compartment i can see a pipe coming out from the passenger section (through the metal), bending 90 degrees downward and then just ending open...

The result is that i have a water drip coming from it (dripping about every 20-30 seconds) which i am concerned about as i haven't noticed it before - it's not constant though and seems to happen periodically - for example, i put a glass underneath it to get a sample and went back an hour later and then was only a little in the glass, the drips had stopped and the small wet patch on the ground was dried. At least from this i can confirm it is water - well it looks and feels like it.

I've had the car a week now so still have some comeback on the dealer i bought it from so if any quick responses would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Lewis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wayne Lim

Re: Water leak at back of engine bay

Originally posted by lbishop
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the pipe coming OUT of the passenger section into the engine bay on the left side of the Ody is?

I've got a 96 2.2ltr and just noticed a small pool of water just near the passenger (left hand side) front wheel (about 15 inches in fron it). Looking in the engine compartment i can see a pipe coming out from the passenger section (through the metal), bending 90 degrees downward and then just ending open...

The result is that i have a water drip coming from it (dripping about every 20-30 seconds) which i am concerned about as i haven't noticed it before - it's not constant though and seems to happen periodically - for example, i put a glass underneath it to get a sample and went back an hour later and then was only a little in the glass, the drips had stopped and the small wet patch on the ground was dried. At least from this i can confirm it is water - well it looks and feels like it.

I've had the car a week now so still have some comeback on the dealer i bought it from so if any quick responses would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Lewis.
    It is most likely condensation from your air conditioning unit.

Wayne

I agree with Wayne - it's just water. That hose is there to drain off moisture that forms around the evaporator unit on your air conditioning. The first time I saw it freaked me out too.

So the time to worry is when you run the A/C and nothing comes out. That means the hose is clogged and water starts to accumilate in the passenger compartment and mold starts. Then it gets really ugly.

-Ken-

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks..

thanks guys, it's a bit more reassuring that you guys seem to know what you're talking about but i never recall seeing it happen on my previous car with the A/C unit - is it a common thing?

Lewis.

Re: Thanks..

Originally posted by lbishop
    thanks guys, it's a bit more reassuring that you guys seem to know what you're talking about but i never recall seeing it happen on my previous car with the A/C unit - is it a common thing?Lewis.
    Unfortunately, I know from experience. When I was a carhop at age 10, I always told people there cars were leaking. Later I learned it was the condensation from the AC unit like you noted on your car.

Much later, driving age this time, I was in an old 1982 Datsun 210 with a friend. The friend slept for most of the 2 hour drive while I drove. He woke up near the end of the trip with his feet in a passenger floorboard of water....eeeewwwwwwhh. My friend was so long legged and when he stretched he must have pulled the hose off the condensor unit and the floorboard filled completely with water.

That should have been a warning as later that year we had serious flooding and I became the captain of the USS 210 and the whole floorboard of that poor Datsun was flooded. That car never smelled the same.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread