2003 Odyssey Ignition Cylinder Stuck
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Odyssey Ignition Cylinder Stuck

Question 2003 Odyssey Ignition Cylinder Stuck

My wife's van just started giving us problems when we attempt to put the key into the cylinder it acts like it is locked up and will not turn. Completely randomly I guess, it seems like the key may strike the tumbler just right and then it turns over and starts fine. Lately it has been taking 10-20 mins of pulling the key out, putting it back in, trying to turn it before it works. I shot graphite directly into the keyhole today with no noticeable result, and I am getting scared that the cylinder is about to break loose and if the set up is like the European cars-I know extraction of the housing and everything would then be necessary.

This is going to call for the help of either one of you Mastertechs that have done and seen this a million times or someone that has experienced it because I know it isn't acting like any other failing cylinder I have run across.

1- I do not have an alternate key
    2- The key shows noticeable wear but nothing that would typically cause a no start issue
    3- It happens every time but is not consistent in any other way-like, putting the key in at angle or pushing/pulling on the shifter/ depressing the brake pedal harder to ensure the B/L switch is engaging--none
    4- No MIL's
    5- The tumbler does feel real "loosy goosy" when key is inserted as if the "feelers or the little things that the key is read by" may be damaged from my dear wife ramming the dang key in and out of it when it locks up.

I know that the complete ignition assembly is a "dealer-only" item and must be programmed to new keys post installation--I am trying to see if I am even on the right track in thinking the Ignition Lock Cylinder is the root---I do not know if I should go ahead and purchase anew key to see if that works---I do know I am going to be spending a few hundred minimum on anything that has to be diagnosed/programmed if there isn't a way around it.

I read another post in which someone installed a remote start (aftermarket) system with a ignition/immobilizer bypass relay setup--but he didn't write if it was necessary that the key be used or not, every system like that I have seen still involves getting the key to the starting position at some point. So I am skeptical that he installed the system due to the same issue I'm having.

Any help would be great!!and I will happily help anyone with any ?s about European vehicles and will be browsing these forums to see if I can help anyone often, thanks again...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    It's too bad you did not have another key to try.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

If the key is worn out, making a copy of it would be fruitless. Sounds to me like you need a new ignition lock cylinder.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I know but unfortunately my wife who will remain nameless lost the spare key.

Just replaced my ignition (2003 EX with 160K miles) at Joyce Honda in Denville NJ. $500. They offered me for extra $100 to use same old key, but I said no. I was getting worried that I would get stuck somewhere in town, and miss getting the kids from practice.
    2003 Ody EX
    2007 Civic LX
    2005 Jayco QWest 8U popup

Just saw this post, know it's a little late, but might help somebody else. Same exact thing happened on our '03 Pilot and '03 Odyssey! Eventually key will not turn the ignition at all! It will still unlock doors etc. We had other keys and tried them, no luck. Nothing fixed it except getting a new ignition! On mine, they didn't rekey to the old keys, so now I have a door key and an ignition key! What a complete pain in the neck!

There is some sort of issue with these ignitions. Kinda like the transmissions. Dealer would give us no discount. Sorry but that is just not normal to have to replace two complete ignitions!

2004 Odyssey Ignition Switch and Cylinder Replacement

Yup, same thing here, I ended up watching this pretty extensive video

which showed how to drop the ignition assembly out of an Accord but it was essentially the same exact job for the Odyssey ignition. My only question is this: If I transfer all of the electronic components from my old assembly OVER to a new cylinder AND keep the old key with it's transmitter on the keyring, will the new key be able to turn the ignition? I realize the vehicle will have a separate key for the ignition but I really don't care to pay Honda another damn dollar to match the key electronically if the thing still won't open the doors. Here's the components I have pulled out.

Sincerely,
    Ken
    Last edited by Indyken; 05-14-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Photo was not clear

This video is good to give you a general idea of how to R & R a Honda ignition cylinder. However, I just replaced my ignition cylinder on my 2003 Odyssey EX and it came as an assembly; no way to remove just the cylinder and replace. I had to replace the entire assembly which included the wire harness that plugs in behind the driver's side fuse board. That board had to be detached so that the connector could be unplugged, etc, but you'll pick up the differences as you replace the assembly. His tip on removing the bolts is much appreciated. Worked like a charm. Estimate from the dealer NOT including tow but including re-keying the new keys (130 per key) and installing a new assembly:1000 bucks. My cost for the assembly:148 on-line. Cost for locksmith to come to my house to rekey BOTH new keys: 150. Saved about 700 doing it myself.

You don't need new ignition, just get yours recoded with new tumblers. The key wears them out eventually. Either get the dealer to do it or pull the ignition yourself and take to a locksmith. Under $100 fix.

I've been looking into a couple of options to include replacing the lock and having ther keys recoded or having the lock re-pinned. Recoding will cost anywhere from $65 (if I can get the car to the locksmith) to $150 (done at my house). I was just given a quote to have the lock re-pinned for $175. That is sounding like a pretty good option, since I'll be able to use my existing keys. Has anyone had their keys re-pinned...and what are your thoughts. Thanks.

I had the same probelm with my 03. Key difficult to insert, had to wiggle to turn, etc. Had issue for about 6 months before complete failure. I completely removed the ignition switch and disassembled. Turned out that the 1st tumbler was completeley worn out. I removed it and its twin and decided to go with just the remining tumblers. (I did the same to my driver side door lock 1 year ago, sam issue) At this point the van is nearly 10 years old decided to try and avoid the 300-500 dollar repair job. I have to say it works perfectly now, and even though it may be ever so slightly easier to steal my van now, I am not concerned. This is not for the amateur though : > )

It's okay to shoot some lock lube or graphite in there once in a while. Just avoid flooding it so it won't get into the electrical switch. This will reduce wear on the tumblers.
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Glad to have found this thread. I have this issue right now. '03 Odyssey EX, 140K. We are currently parking it unlocked with the key in the ignition and don't dare take it out. Poor engineering, IMO, to make the key harder than the tumblers. (We've tried all keys: my worn one, my husband's less worn one, and the pristine spare.) The spare is the one stuck in the ignition now, and it's not loving it.

BTW this was a small issue until yesterday when we had the recall for the ignition interlock taken care of.
    Janet
    2003 EX transmission rebuilt at 110K

It's definitely frustrating.

After you get it replaced, an occasional squirt of graphite or lock lube will keep the pins moving freely and so extend the life of the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    After you get it replaced, an occasional squirt of graphite or lock lube will keep the pins moving freely and so extend the life of the lock.
    That's part of our pre-winter checklist around here, so we've done it 1x/year. Guess we need to step that up.

DH has the ignition out in pieces on the kitchen table right now. We're leaning towards just omitting the worn plates. Not really worried about the theft issue...
    Janet
    2003 EX transmission rebuilt at 110K

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements