2008 Ody - No sound but stereo has power
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2008 Ody - No sound but stereo has power

Question 2008 Ody - No sound but stereo has power

Hi guys,

I used AUX input during our last trip and it seemed to work just fine (as usually). The next day I noticed that we are not getting any sound coming from the speakers. The head unit still has power and I can change the source input, radio channels, CD, AUX ... but there is no
    sound. Also there is no error showing.

Tried to check fuses but everything seems to be fine (unless I am missing something).
    I also tried to remove one of the rear speakers and installed a new one ... but that didn't help ... still no sound.

Any idea what to do (besides replacing the whole audio system)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You may see the display but some Hondas are controlled by two fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    You may see the display but some Hondas are controlled by two fuses.
    Thanks for you reply. Could you be more specific in regards to fuses? I might be missing something.

Check fuses 5 (10A) and 32 (10A) in the driver's under dash fuse/relay box
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

Quote Originally Posted by EE4Life View Post
    Check fuses 5 (10A) and 32 (10A) in the driver's under dash fuse/relay box
    I checked and both fuses are OK. I even replaced them with a new ones, but it didn't help. Thanks for trying.

Any other suggestion?

I disconnected the battery today and removed the stereo unit to see the model# (in case I need to buy another one). When I connected the radio again, I noticed that all my preset radio stations are still there.

Is there a way to reset the radio (again ... I don't see any error message displayed and it's not asking me to enter the code). Any help?

I am considering to buy used radio on eBay ... still cheaper then going to Honda dealer.

Leave it disconnected for a while to reset. If you have a LX, the radio might not have the code to enter but since your presets stayed, you did not have the radio disconnected long enough.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    Leave it disconnected for a while to reset. If you have a LX, the radio might not have the code to enter but since your presets stayed, you did not have the radio disconnected long enough.
    I actually have DX (Canadian model) and you are probably right about the code. I will leave the radio disconnected as suggested until this afternoon ... will report the results. Thanks!

Radio was disconnected for more then 3 hours and after I put it back ... it worked for about 30 seconds and then it went back to silence???

Something is toast inside.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Someone recommended following: "Sounds to me like you have a short in your wiring somewhere. Often times a short will cause your stereo to go into "protect" mode and cut power to all channels. To check for this, you could use a multimeter and test at the stereo wiring harness. Check the pairs or wires going to the 4 speakers for resistance. They should all be at least 2 ohms."

All I did was to remove rear speakers checked the radio and the sound is back. I connected back the same rear speakers and no problem .. all is working again. This all is very weird but my issue seems to be solved (at least for now).

Hope this can help somebody else. Thanks for the help.

Interesting. I would check the wiring around the speakers to be sure but if this comes back, finding that short is going to take an act of God.

I did not know about this "protect" mode so I learnt something new today.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements