05 Ody dies while driving!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 05 Ody dies while driving!

05 Ody dies while driving!

My 05 Ody has been acting strangely for the past couple of weeks. It seems to hesitate, and I have to carefully adjust my foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling - either when starting after a stop, or when stopping at a light. It shudders a bit and seems to lose power. If I am not careful it will die, with all the dashboard lights coming on, but it is easily re-started.

I took it to my mechanic who drove it and did a throttle bosy cleaning. Yesterday while I was driving on the interstate, the car died at 65 miles an hour - with lights going on as it did when it stalled at the light, but before I could react it came back to life. The best way I can describe it is like when you pop the clutch on a standard transmission. It just re-started on its own. It was pretty terrifying as there were tractor trailers behind me. Needless to say the van is in the shop as I type, but the mechanic was scratching his head over this... Has anyone every experienced anything like this before? The mechanic thought it was an electrical problem, a friend who is a mechanic in another state said it sounded like a fuel problem. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a ignition switch problem too. I'd vote for electrical just like your mechanic said.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Having to feather the gas to keep it from stalling points to the IAC valve. Were you coasting with closed throttle when the interstate cutout happened? If it happens again, step on the gas. Could be a bad IAC is starving the engine of air.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

Has the battery been dying on you as well?

The battery has not been dying on me, but it was one of the things I thought of.

I'm not sure what closed throttle is... I might have been coasting, with my foot off the gas. Is that what you mean? It is extremely possible...

Yes, that's what I mean. The computer shuts off fuel when coasting until the engine slows to 1100 RPM or so. Then the fuel comes back. If there's not enough air, the engine will stall, the same as at idle. If it happens again, touch the gas a little. If the engine wakes up, it could be the IAC, and/or the throttle body may need cleaning.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

how does the ignition switch affect the car dying?

Weird symptoms oddly matching another car I know of a Ford! Suggests to me a fuel delivery problem. Have fuel filter replaced and fuel pressure checked.

Wasn't there a recall for the fuel pump relay? If not eligible, buy one and replace yours. They are cheap and take a couple minutes to swap.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements