Door lock actuator malfunction
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door lock actuator malfunction

Unhappy Door lock actuator malfunction

For the past 3 months the drivers side door lock actuator has not worked. It worked intermittently for a month in October, but does nothing now.

When I used the FOB, it does not go up on its own, when I used the switch on the driver and passenger side, it doesn't move either.

The funny thing is it will cause all the other doors to lock automatically if I manually press the button down as I am leaving the car.

It is annoying as I have the honda alarm on the vehicle and it will arm, even though the door is unlocked. It is quite a suprise to open the door and have that horn honk!

My questions are as follows: I am going to disassemble the door panel to get a look at the actuator and see if it needs replacing. When I look in the manual, it is unclear as to how to get the mirror mount cover off! Does it mean pry out the top end and lift up to get the bottom clip out?

Any help with trouble shooting this would be appreciated!
    250,000 Km
    99 Odyssey EX
    Bug deflector, Honda alarm, Kenwood front speakers
    Sliding door mod
    My other car is a 1965 Honda S600

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Unhappy Moving forward

With some careful reading of the manual, I was able to get the lock actuator out.

Testing the 2 pin connector, I would get an intermittent continuity. I used a 12V power supply an at first it didn't want to turn. With some coaxing the motor would spin but very rough. There is also alot of arcing that can be seen through the plastic. I ran the motor on an off for two minutes, then put it back into the case.

Back in the car, it worked two or three times up and down, then quit working all together.

It looks like it is time to go to the dealer and pick up a replacement. What a shame as the motor itself is quite minor...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    250,000 Km
    99 Odyssey EX
    Sliding door mod

I just did this replacement 3 days ago. It is not a difficult job except what took me forever was to put the new actuator back in and hook it onto the lock lever. There is a plastic bracket or housing that the actuator is screwed onto but it does not allow you to see behind it. In the end, I just cut a piece of the plastic off and was able to put it in properly.

In my case, the fob was unable to lock or unlock the drivers door. So the drivers door had to be locked/unlocked by key or manually and then the rest of the doors could be unlocked by fob.
    Andrew
    2008 Odyssey EX-L w/RES

psd

Power Door Lock Actuator Replacement

For 99 Ody I have already replaced my rear sliding door lock actuators (see my other post) and now my front ones are failing at 130k.

Here are some photos and tips on what to expect.

Takes about 3-4 hours. Be patient. Make mental notes during disassembly. This is tricky but not hard. Much more advanced job than the rear doors. You have to have the manual and your brain.

Photo shows how many things have to be removed: Speaker, Inside door handle, door panel, controls, rear window track, outside door handle, the entire actuator/latch assembly, some brackets and shrouds.

Put a work light in through the speaker hole to help see what you are doing.

-- 99 Ody, 132k
    Last edited by psd; 01-11-2009 at 04:35 PM.

psd
    Here is a look inside just before removing the actuator/latch assembly.

psd
    ...And here are all the parts that have to be removed.

Originally posted by psd
    ...And here are all the parts that have to be removed.
    Dayum. That looks like too much work. Thanks for posting the pix and the instructions though.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Passenger side failing

Thanks for the interest in this post and photos!

230,000km and we are now experience a front passenger side actuator failure. It is intermittent and the last month has worked fine. I have purchased a replacement and will swap it out once the snow and cold weather improves a bit.
    250,000 Km
    99 Odyssey EX
    Sliding door mod

Thanks for the post guys. I was half way into replacing the actuator on the passenger front door when I came into the house for some direction from you. It was here I learned that the actuator is screwed to the door latch mechanism.

I did remove the outside door handle. I was unable to figure out how to get the mechanism out of the door without that step.

They don't make these things to be easily repaired, and I couldn't get my head in far enough to see what needed to be undone or redone later.

It took me about an hour. I've had the door apart before to replace the speaker so I had a clue.

I'm mechanically inclined and I found some of the steps to be a bit tricky, like a puzzle. So if you're not mechanically astute you may not want to try this by yourself. On the other hand it would likely cost a small fortune to have it done so there's the rub.

Door lock works fine again. Thanks again for your help.
    2004 Honda Aquatrax 190 hours
    2008 Prius
    1999 Odyssey 145Kmi
    1997 Civic LX 75K mi

Banned
    Time to replace the speakers while you're in there

psd
    andyf80 has provided every detail in the front door actuator repair. See this post: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...701#post606701
    99 Ody EX

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements