2006 ody brake lights out
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 ody brake lights out

2006 ody brake lights out

All brake lights out on 2006 ody. Changed the brake switch at the pedal, checked all bulbs still no good. Don't know where fuse for brakes are as it does not specify in the manual or the covers at the fuse blocks. I'm stumped. Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would really appreciate some help on this issue. Found the fuse and it is good. Replaced the brake switch again because the local Honda dealer said an after market switch may be bad....it wasn't. Double checked all the bulbs again. None were out. I am at wits end. Going to have to go to dealer if no one responds.

I'm in the same boat, Moksmind. A driver flagged me down this morning to tell me that I had no brake lights. The window light works fine, but no lights on either side. I managed to get it back home without being rear ended, but no ideas on how to proceed. I had some water in the driver's side tail light about a month ago (seems to only take on water during really strong, windy rainstorms) and I did have to replace the backup bulb on that side. The bulbs look good, I checked most of the fuses (nothing specifically states which one is for brake lights) and have come up dry. My next plan is to get a new brake switch and see what happens.

What ended up happening with yours? Did you eventually take it to the dealer? Please let me know, we need our family truckster in working order ASAP!

Scott (walking his kids home from nursery school this afternoon)

Sometimes the fuses look good but it does help to take out and reinsert (try with a new ones). Connectors could be loose or need cleaning. Check the fuses under the hood too. Check grounding at socket. If you have a multi-meter, can check ohms at the switch. While at the switch, check the alignment and contact is good.

This happened to my Accord and replacing good fuses with new ones did it (for $4 in bunch of fuses). Never came back and that fuse is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
    Sometimes the fuses look good but it does help to take out and reinsert (try with a new ones). Connectors could be loose or need cleaning. Check the fuses under the hood too. Check grounding at socket. If you have a multi-meter, can check ohms at the switch. While at the switch, check the alignment and contact is good.

This happened to my Accord and replacing good fuses with new ones did it (for $4 in bunch of fuses). Never came back and that fuse is still good.
    Any chance you know exactly which one of the fuses controls the brake light? The diagrams in the owner's manual fails to detail that item.

Scott

Aside: it seems that the Ody decides to break something on the coldest, windiest day of the year. I spend five minutes cursing the problem, ten cursing the weather, and fifteen going back inside to check the forums and warm up. Makes for real progress!

So, I've replaced the #13 (horn/stop) fuse under the hood with a fresh new 20 A fuse. I've checked the bulbs and the switch with a meter (continuity all around). I bought a new switch from Auto Zone just in case (have not installed it yet) but am fresh out of ideas. Can anyone help me?

Scott

Do the driving lights come on or is it just the brake lights. If it is the driving lights as well I would suspect a bad ground. These can be a real bear and some shops have technicians that specialize in these types of things because they can be very tricky to track down.

If it is just the brake lights the I would suspect the power, not ground, as being bad.

My powers of stupidity know no bounds! Finally took it to my local mechanic this afternoon. $35 later, it turns out I replaced the running lights (located on the door) and not the brake lights (located on the rear quarter panels). Thus, from this point forward, my avatar will be that of Homer Simpson in mid "D'oh!"

D'oh_icon.png

Scott

Nice. ZombieDad, glad it worked out without major headaches. I know a fully functional car without brakes is so frustrating. Peace of mind.

I just started to read this and thought to myself "the third brake light (on the window hatch) and the others are on the same curcuit, it can't be the switch or a fuse if one works and the others don't...it HAS to be the bulbs or something at the socket for them"

haha, anyhow, glad you got it fixed.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements