Honda Odyssey Forum banner

broken winshield washer hose

33K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  94eg! 
#1 ·
The windshield washer fluid hose got hard and brittle. Last time it broke I mended it by using a rubber hose piece. I got the engine steam cleaned and as it dried overnight, it snapped as I opened the hood cover. I knew it would snap again sometime but just forgot about it.

Is this an easy fix to replace the whole hose? or better to get a longer hose and mend it again?

Does anyone have a part number or a better alternative?

Pics. Please advise. Thanks.

Vehicle Car Hood Auto part Windshield

See less See more
#2 ·
Got some Prestone WV0532 5/32" (4mm) tubing. I will check if this works. The tube is not great but its flexible. I am thinking of inserting another rubber hose or tubing on top as a sleeve in this area to keep it more insulated from engine heat. The existing original hose is so hard already. I have to cut some off with a blade. Have to get the hose extender/coupler. Back to the store.

Technology Electronic device

#3 ·
I think the OE hose is vinyl, but in any case both vinyl and rubber harden with age. Inserting the washer hose inside another probably won't extend its life.

BTW, any way you can replace the entire hose end-to-end? A connector would add a restriction to the line, and would also leave some of the original hose to leak later.

#5 ·
Yep, working on it. For now used the rubber hose and put it from Y split to the broken pipe at the firewall, no connectors. Could have gone all the way to the wiper motor. Did not know if that would work out right now. Since I pulled out other smaller pieces, this temp fix will last until I get a better hose.

There is similar hoses and one coming out of the radiator that is exactly like this hose. Wonder how those stay flexible. I want to replace it end to end with the right hose. If OE is the way to go, will get one.

I guess when you close the hood, that slack goes towards the engine/pulleys. I tied a small wire from the hood so it curves more towards the fuse box side.

#6 ·
***snip*** I want to replace it end to end with the right hose. If OE is the way to go, will get one.
I think the rubber hose you got is entirely satisfactory.

#7 ·
Cool. Did the temp fix. Maybe once I work on the oil leak check, I can get back on track with this. Not sure why Ody hose path is the way it is. The 00 Accord also has it coming from the top close to the firewall and going to hood panel. Wonder if some hook is gone and someone did a "good enough" fix.

#8 · (Edited)
Doubtful. I over opened my hood and snapped mine yesterday and I am the original owner...

Also definitely noticed the hardest parts were the part that went across. Maybe heat, wind, etc, age it faster.

#15 ·
I just used, a couple of "tie straps". Slide one under the hood. make a loop. Then "loop" 2nd tie strap under wiper hose. Just enough "slack" so there is room for hose to "open/close". But not to much, as to allow hose to hit the moving engine. Once everything is connected. Get a flashlight. Partially close the hood, and peek inside, and shine the light on the hose, see, how much slack you have. Adjust as necessary.....

#16 ·
We had a crack/leak in a section of our hose. Went to O'Reilly Auto Parts to get a new section of hose, thinking that they would know the correct diameter needed. When I told them that I didn't know the diameter hose I needed, the employee came out to the vehicle, snipped off the bad section of hose, came back with a new section along with the necessary connecter piece and fixed it for me. To top it off, she then said 'you're good to go' and wouldn't let me pay anything for it. Granted, it probably was minimal cost, but I was very surprised and pleased.

#17 ·
If you need washer hose and the support clips go to a website like Alldiscountparts.com, put in your year model and trim. Then select the electrical/exhaust/heater/fuel option followed by the "windshield washer" option. They will give you a specific diagram and you can purchase any missing clips as well as bulk OEM hose (which is always better quality than parts store hose).

BTW: any of the parts of hose they show is all the same bulk hose price ($16). You should only need one to redo the entire thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.