Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Rear suspension Noise in '04 Odyssey

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Wayne Lim 
#1 ·
I have a 5 month old '04 Odussey with 7000 miles on it. Almost from the moment I bought it, I hear a thump/thud from the rear suspension area while braking. This is very pronounced when I reverse the vehicle on the driveway.
During normal driving, its not that noticeable. I had it checked by the dealer and he says this is normal nosie in the Odysseys.
I am not sure of that. Could anyone help.

Thanks
GT Seshan

#3 ·
Clunking in the rear brakes is normal whenever reversing direction. This has been discussed quite a bit here, perhaps a search with "reverse noise" may answer your ?. The jist is that the mech shifts like it is suppose to. Things that are made to bend don't break. By the way the gas in the tank makes noise too. We have all been lied to so much over the years by dealers that we don't believe the truth.

G
#4 ·
gats said:
I have a 5 month old '04 Odussey with 7000 miles on it. Almost from the moment I bought it, I hear a thump/thud from the rear suspension area while braking. This is very pronounced when I reverse the vehicle on the driveway.
During normal driving, its not that noticeable. I had it checked by the dealer and he says this is normal nosie in the Odysseys.
I am not sure of that. Could anyone help.

Thanks
GT Seshan
Like Egads says, there's a sharp click from the brakes when reversing directions as the pads shift in the caliper. There's also a thud from the gas as it sloshes in the tank as the tank is about 7/8ths full. I'm with him in thinking it's one or the other of these.

Does it make any noise when going over speed bumps?

Wayne

G
#6 ·
gats said:
No, I do not hear any noise while driving over speed bumps. Also, It is more than a "click", its more like a "thud". The dealer gave me this story on the gas tank and the positioning of the brake pads.
If it is the gas tank, it is much more (well, almost exclusively) likely to occur when the tank is nearly full but not quite all full. If you listen carefully, you can hear the thud and then some subsequent, much fainter sloshing.

It's the result of a flat, shallow gas tank and inadequate internal baffling. It doesn't hurt anything.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.