Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Whistling While Accelerating

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  LarryB17 
#1 ·
I'm a new member from Virginia, and I know this topic has been discussed before, but I hope something definitive has been discovered about the problem. I just bought a 05 Odyssey Touring (124k miles), which I love, except for one thing. At about 35 MPH the engine makes a whistling noise which continues until about 60 mph and then goes away. If I take my foot off the gas it immediately stops, and if I put my foot back on the gas it begins again. I took it to the dealer who said it was the transmission and I should have the fluid changed, which I did and it made no difference. I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I know many others have had the same problem but I have not seen a definite solution for the problem. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Larryb17

#2 ·
The dealer may be right. The transmission may be have case wear or worn bearings.

Could also be a vacuum leak in the intake. Any idle fluctuations or worse than normal MPG?

#4 ·
If you don't have the high-pitched noise with an idling engine, then most likely not a vacuum leak.

EricTheCarGuy and Scotty Kilmer have videos re: checking for vacuum leaks although I personally would take to a dealer for this diagnostic.

#5 ·
Thank you. I just took it to a transmission shop and he said the noise is definitely from the transmission--a common problem with Odysseys of that age. The good news is that it should not lead to a transmission problem so, if I can live with the noise it will be fine. If not, I can replace the transmission for $3,000. I'd still love to hear of other's experiences with this. It's hard to believe that there is no way to get rid of the whining without replacing the transmission. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.