Honda Odyssey Forum banner

MBI and the Dealership

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jimbob66 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've perused the site often and thought I'd finally join you all as I have some concerns and a couple of questions. I have something called MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) and it expires in about 3 weeks. There is $250 deductible and Honda will charge about $90 to look at the vehicle. If they do find a problem that $90 becomes part of the covered costs minus the deductible. I'm trying to decide on whether the potential problems I'm seeing are going to cost me more than the $250.

1. When going over substantial bumps in the road there is a small thud or click sound on the left hand side. It doesn't happen all the time.

2. When backing out of the driveway in the morning there is a clunk sound. It happens sometimes, too, when shifting back into drive. It reminds me of when the U-joint goes bad on rear-wheel drive cars. That's the sound. I should mention, too, that the transmission was replaced about 1.5 years ago, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Are these issues that would cost a lot of money? These are intermittent problems. Any insight here is appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
The clunk when shifting into Drive could be a bad motor mount. They should be visually inspected to be sure, but you can evaluate them yourself. Open the hood. Have a helper start the engine. Watch for any excessive engine movement as the helper shifts to drive. As for cost, the front and side mounts usually fail first. Ballpark guess would be $400 each installed using Honda parts.

The clunk on bumps could be a bad sway bar end link. Guess about $200 for both sides.

Dave

#6 ·
thanks

Thank you for the quick replies. I have an appoint this coming Thursday so will find out what is up.

Regarding the MBI... I found out Geico has some guy on site that "ok's" repairs that are covered under the MBI part of my insurance. I wonder how stringent they are and/or if they use new Honda parts.

#7 ·
Chances are your contract states that 'aftermarket' parts are ok. Most state that. At any rate let the dealer inspect your vehicle and make any needed repairs. Now is the time to do that while you still have the coverage. For an '08 that is not too many miles. Have you had the regular maintenance items of timing belt/water pump/hydrostatic pulley/spark plugs/ replaced yet? 100,000-120,000 miles is the usual time to replace those. If so you should be good to go for another hundred thousand. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.