Motor Mount gone bad
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Mount gone bad

Question Motor Mount gone bad

Hello,

I have an '01 Ody, 85k. Saturday I noticed some oily residue around the passenger side motor mount. The residue is draining towards the front and rear of the engine compartment. Additionally, it is 'splattering' towards the rear. I was concerned that it is from my power steering line as that runs through the vicinity but that line is completly dry. Also, once I park the car the residue will dry within an hour or two, so it is not oil.

I swung by the dealer and they 'believe' that it is the motor mount. I tend to agree with them except for one piece of conflicting information that has me guessing.

The dealer says that this particular motor mount (passenger side front, by the timing belt) is not fluid filled. But then the parts guy says it might be fluid filled. Nobody seems to know for sure. They just want to replace it and see if the problem goes away, for a fee of course.

Does anybody know if that mount contains fluid or not. I know that switching out the mount will not do any harm at 85k miles but I don't want to spend too much money/time chasing phantom problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Well I purchased a new motor mount and replaced it. the old one was infact damaged and is infact filled with fluid.

I took the old one to the dealers service department and ran into what must have been the only service tech in the state of Utah that actually knew that all of motor mounts on an 01 Ody are fluid filled.

The other techs had no clue, especially the service reps, the guys that check in your car when you bring it in for service, they know almost nothing other than to say, "I've never heard of that... I'll have a tech look at it"

Anyway, if anybody has brown oily residue in the vicinity of your motor mount you might want to remove it and check it out for failure. Remember to support your engine before removing the mount.

Interesting story turnvinal. Used to be that motor mounts separated. Now they can also leak. Did you have any symptoms other than the oily residue?

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

No other symptoms and I am quite sure I caught it within 1-2 days of the leak beginning. I base this off of the amount of leakage/residue that was there when I first found the leak and how much was there the next day.
    The only reason I found it was that I got under the hood to add windshield washer fluid.
    To be perfectly honest the car is my wifes and she does not pay too much attention to the mechanical points that I notice. As I am not the everyday driver of the car I cannot say if it was causing any vibration that could be felt while driving. I did notice, immediatly prior to changing the mount, that when the engine was turned on it touqued excessively but not while it was running or being revved.
    I have not cleaned up the chassy yet so I'll try to post a pic of what the oil/residue looks like so that you can see what I saw.

How long do motor mounts usually last? Had to have mine changed at 70K (2000 Ody)

Originally posted by edflorida
    How long do motor mounts usually last? Had to have mine changed at 70K (2000 Ody)
    Sounds like an idea for a poll, but 70K miles seems short for a motor mount. Then again, this is modern engineering and I am still struggling to catch up.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

hmmm...i have sen teh same residue on m Ody right behind that mount...looks like rust water...The mount at forst doesn't appear to be liquid filled so i didn't bother with it...now i'll have to check it out.
    1999 Honda Odyssey EX (112k miles)
    1993 Honda Civic Si (180k miles)
    1996 Acura Integra RS (133k miles)COMING SOON TO BE 98+ SPEC

You should also check the front engine mount. It appears that the passenger mount fails after the front engine mount goes bad. I just replaced both front and passenger side engine mount on our '02 van with ~85k miles. The front mount has a vacuum line which tested good (no vacuum leak), but in comparing the old and new engine mount, the old unit is much weaker and has dropped about 1/2-in compared to the new one - wear and tear, I guess.

re motor mount

My 2000 lx had 78000 miles when the upper pass. side motor mount failed. It was associated with a "thud" sound upon initial acceleration. It is not fluid filled!!! like the 2001.(perhaps an upgrade) The BIG front motor mount failed at 98000 miles along with the smaller rubber mounts. The front one was replaced with an upgraded one which has a retaining metal "ring" on top.
    Paul R

just got mine replaced

Just got my front passenger motor mount replaced. We have a 2001 Odyssey with 62,000 miles. The symptoms were a clunk under heavy acceleration. The part cost around $100. Labor was $150 (not at the dealer but at a private repair shop). I had to wait a few days to get it fixed because there was a run on these motor mounts in Knoxville and there were none to be had in town. My mechanic told me that replacing Honda V6 engined motor mounts (Ody, Accord, Acura TL) is something he considers common.

2000 Odyssey Engine Mount

My 2000 Honda Odyssey has 88K miles. Heard clunk on initial acceleration. Appears to be the engine mount(s). Is this a fairly easy do-it-yourself project?
    jawaka

re passenger side motor mount

It is not difficult to remove and replace the passenger side motor mount which is located ( facing the engine) on the upper left side.It will involve holding..supporting.. the engine in place with a jack underneath. Be sure to use a piece of wood between the jack and engine.I believe you have to remove a couple od bolts..maybe 14 mm..One quick thought..if you have not replaced the aux belt which is the belt you see under the mount , now would be a good time to do so..that too is not difficult..you will have to loosen the tensioner bolt and pry it so that the new one will fit easily over it then retighten once installed...my van is in for repairs after an accident so if you need additional info I may not be able to look/see and direct you...good luck..by the way if my memory serves me I did this myself at about78000 miles..good luck
    Paul R

Paul R.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some additional checks to determine which mount(s) are bad. Seems to be alot of passenger side failures.
    jawaka

I had the passenger side mount replaced dealer charged $160 .
    But when I got home I noticed that the front mount was bad also.
    So I ordered a new one $85.
    I'm getting an engine lift when accelerating. I don't know how the dealer missed the bad front mount. I'm going to do front mount myself.
    -11 Honda Odyssey Touring

-03 Odyssey EX RES
    Currently 465K miles
    Runs great
    +325K on transmission

-03 Subie Legacy GT manual tran

Motor Mount Gone Bad

I replaced the passenger side mount. Part cost $57. Time to install, 30 min. The rubber insert failed and completely separated from the bracket which allowed the mount to rattle around. The rubber insert material needs to be improved.

The front mount is vaccuum actuated. It looks OK.

Honda engineers: You are on notice to initiate a product improvement project on these mounts. You guys do a fantastic job on design in most areas, you set the automotive engineering standard, but the mounts are a little embarrassing.

Only other complaint about Honda: Your spare parts are way too expensive, but the quality is usually good.
    Last edited by jawaka; 02-13-2006 at 09:24 PM.
    jawaka

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements