Honda Coolant Leak Under Engine
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honda Coolant Leak Under Engine

phw

Honda Coolant Leak Under Engine

Hey all:

OK, I know it is not an Odyssey, but my other car is an Accord... I have a coolant leak on my 97 Accord LX between the crankshaft pulley and the oil pan... Here is a picture:

I am hoping that this is just a leaky hose or something like that, but I didn't see anything under first inspection.

Unfortunately, I did change my oil at the same time, and it was a light milky brown, which I know is a sign of a leaky head gasket. I have never had any oil leaks in this area, and I hope that it is running down the block from say, the water pump or something else. I haven't dug in real deep yet...

Any suggestions on where to start the troubleshooting?? I feel like I can change the head gasket if needed, as I have the helms manual, and I have done about 4 honda timing belt changes already.

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

water pump would be my first guess.

Eric

I would also guess water pump, but that would not allow cooland into the oil (I don't think).
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

Water pump would be my first suspect. There may be a path for coolant to get into the oil pan, but I have not been inside one of those engines, so I do not know for sure.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Silly question, on any of those timing belt changes, did you replace the water pump?

It is most likely the water pump that has failed, but I could also see a head gasket causing the leak too.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

I don't believe in coincidence for matters like this. If there is coolant leaking AND coolant in your oil its a good bet that they're related. And a water pump leak couldn't get coolant into the oil on any design I know of.

Try pressure testing the coolant system overnight. Then pull the sparkplugs, crank the engine and see if any coolant comes spurting out?? If yes, head gasket (or warped head) is the culprit. If no, that could still be it, but with a very slow leak.

Have you had to add much coolant?
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements