Up For the Challenge --> A/C Blowing Hot Air ------> I Need My A/C Back!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Up For the Challenge --> A/C Blowing Hot Air ------> I Need My A/C Back!

Up For the Challenge --> A/C Blowing Hot Air ------> I Need My A/C Back!

OK....so here goes ----> When I purchased my 07 Odyssey Touring in Oct, 2015, there was no need for A/C, however, before purchasing, I did have it checked out and it was confirmed that the A/C was working great! Of course, I ended up using it the following summer with no issues. Here's when the issues started happening;

The first thing that happened, was, I was involved in a three-car accident during rush-hour traffic on Interstate 75. I was hit from behind, which caused me to hit the SUV in front of me! My vehicle was repaired (Drivers side front headlight smashed, as well as the front bumper) & returned to me. I started having issues with the A/C not blowing as strong whenever I would be sitting idle (afternoon traffic, stop lights, etc). However, it would go back to blowing strong and cold as long as I was moving.
    Well, wouldn't you know, during the end of Summer, 2016, my A/C completely stopped blowing cold air. Would I be correct in saying that my "accident" was the culprit?

So, not only did my A/C go out completely but, my power steering pump (reservoir I guess) is leaking! Everyone knows that when your power steering pump leaks, it damages the serpentine belt! -----> Yeah, I know that I have a big mess to deal with!

Now, would anyone like to tell me what they think the issue is with my A/C? I can tell you what I've done so far to troubleshoot the issue......(Hey, women can be mechanically inclined too!!)

2007 Honda Odyssey Touring - 143K miles

1. The first thing I did attempt was, I purchased a can of refrigerant with the gauge attached. After I set the outside temp, I attached the hose to the Low Side Port, before the car was started, it was already reading in the "red zone". So I started my vehicle, fan speed high, set temp inside cabin to low temp. Gauge still registers in the "red zone", this time, even further into the red!

2. I tried a few things while it was running....When the A/C button inside is pressed, the RPM's drop a bit, plus, I don't hear the clutch engaging. Prior to figuring this out, I changed the clutch relay switch, but, that didn't solve anything.

3. What about a leak in the line somewhere? Reason being, as stated above, I was in an accident involving 3 vehicles, last summer. Could the condenser have been damaged in the accident, causing a slow leak (R134 gauge registers in the red), which would eventually drain the unit completely? If the Condenser was damaged during the accident, it definitely wasn't fixed! Do I have any recourse when it comes to taking my vehicle back to the body shop that originally worked on it?

I apologize for this being so long, I just know there are many experienced mechanics on this forum. Plus, being a female, we tend to get taken advantage of when it comes to stuff like this!!

I welcome any and all information!!! It's really hot here in GA! I'm always back and forth to my son's appointments, so it's crucial that I get this fixed ASAP!!!!!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs down Question posted for 3 weeks with no response! Unbelievable!

This is unbelievable! Do you mean to tell me that 88 people read my post but didn't comment? Thanks for everyone's help, here in the OddyClub Forum! Fortunately, I was able to find a mechanic with experience and was able to help me diagnose the problem & fix it too!

No need to comment on the post now!

Quote Originally Posted by 2007MommyMobile View Post
    This is unbelievable! Do you mean to tell me that 88 people read my post but didn't comment? Thanks for everyone's help, here in the OddyClub Forum! Fortunately, I was able to find a mechanic with experience and was able to help me diagnose the problem & fix it too!

No need to comment on the post now!
    Great, now why don't you possibly try to help others and post what the fix was.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    179k miles orig tranny June 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Buffalo.... that wasn't very nice of you to say!
    Well, I ended up being referred to a "mobile Mechanic" by the guys at Auto Zone. So, I decided to give him a call. He seemed to know his stuff. However, it started raising a red flag when he took almost 2 days to fix it! After bringing it back to me, I drove it immediately, around town to make sure everything worked properly. The a/c worked great & was colder than ever! I was happy! Well, that was a Thursday. By Thursday of the following week, I was driving, about 5 minutes from home and I hear a sound, as if something had hit something metal under the hood. Then I lost power-steering, then there goes my a/c! Well, I made it home before the car over-heated or shut off...why? Oh, that's because the belt tensioner came lose from the engine block, therefore wasn't holding the serpantine belt in place. That long bolt at the top that hold the belt tensioner in place snapped and broke off inside it! What would cause the bolt to snap off inside of it? Too tight? Not tight enough? So, not only did I have to replace that, I found two different wires (yellow & blue) that were right in the front area starting near the windshield washer fill tank but directly below it. Then comes up and over in the direction of the battery. It looked like they were somehow hooked to something (near the battery) to give it power. I'm assuming that those wires were hooked to something that was giving power to the compressor/clutch, only because the a/c was no longer working again (clutch not engaging)!!
    So, I was able to get the belt tensioner and belt replaced buy this guy friend (not org mechanic) but he had no clue what those wires went to and didn't want to get into someone else's rigged up mess.
    So, of course I've been blowing up this mechanics phone but no answer, & no response to text messages either! I'm more than furious at this point!

Now I'm back to square one again! I know those wires were somehow connected to either a relay or ground wire but of course, I don't have a clue! Now I'm about to scream! So, now I lost $150 that I paid this dumb a** mechanic and got nothing fixed!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my issue could be or, a possible solution? Any help would be much appreciated!

I don't even know where to start...but you are not a square one again. Nobody here is likely to be able to help you with the info you have given. Never use a mobile mechanic and hopefully now you understand why. Good ones can be hard enough to find, but a mobile guy that all you have is a cell phone number that can be changed can disappear in a heartbeat. Use Angie's List or another source to find a good local mechanic that specializes in Honda's.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

Quote Originally Posted by Live_Laugh_Love View Post
    Buffalo.... that wasn't very nice of you to say!
    Well, I ended up being referred to a "mobile Mechanic" by the guys at Auto Zone. So, I decided to give him a call. He seemed to know his stuff. However, it started raising a red flag when he took almost 2 days to fix it! After bringing it back to me, I drove it immediately, around town to make sure everything worked properly. The a/c worked great & was colder than ever! I was happy! Well, that was a Thursday. By Thursday of the following week, I was driving, about 5 minutes from home and I hear a sound, as if something had hit something metal under the hood. Then I lost power-steering, then there goes my a/c! Well, I made it home before the car over-heated or shut off...why? Oh, that's because the belt tensioner came lose from the engine block, therefore wasn't holding the serpantine belt in place. That long bolt at the top that hold the belt tensioner in place snapped and broke off inside it! What would cause the bolt to snap off inside of it? Too tight? Not tight enough? So, not only did I have to replace that, I found two different wires (yellow & blue) that were right in the front area starting near the windshield washer fill tank but directly below it. Then comes up and over in the direction of the battery. It looked like they were somehow hooked to something (near the battery) to give it power. I'm assuming that those wires were hooked to something that was giving power to the compressor/clutch, only because the a/c was no longer working again (clutch not engaging)!!
    So, I was able to get the belt tensioner and belt replaced buy this guy friend (not org mechanic) but he had no clue what those wires went to and didn't want to get into someone else's rigged up mess.
    So, of course I've been blowing up this mechanics phone but no answer, & no response to text messages either! I'm more than furious at this point!

Now I'm back to square one again! I know those wires were somehow connected to either a relay or ground wire but of course, I don't have a clue! Now I'm about to scream! So, now I lost $150 that I paid this dumb a** mechanic and got nothing fixed!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my issue could be or, a possible solution? Any help would be much appreciated!
    I didn't see what yr your Ody is. Perhaps I missed it. Just looked at your other posts and it appears you have a 2007 Ody.

Yep, I admit that my answer was a little 'snippy', as was 2007MommyMobile's post #2. Childish of me.

I have read quite a few posts dealing with the failure of the serpentine belt tensioner and/or bolt failing 'after' replacing the alternator or serpentine belt. Perhaps that mechanic removed that belt. When/if I replace that belt on my Ody (or the alternator), I will be sure to replace that tensioner pulley and bolt also.
    I think the belt that broke on yours may have been the smaller belt that drives the PS, so I may be way off base.

Do you have any trouble codes showing or any other things not working well, except the AC problem.

Check fuse #22 (7.5A) which is for the 'MG Clutch' on my '03. I believe that is the compressor clutch.
    It is in the Under the Hood fuse/relay box.
    Your yr Ody may be different in fuse layout.

I just spent around 10 min looking at my '03 and didn't see any wires fitting your description. Is it possible that those wires were connected to the PS switch?
    Did those wires run along the firewall or by the radiator? I only looked at radiator end.
    Do your windshield washers work? Anything else not work, like your radiator fans, etc.

Buffalo4
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 06-18-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    2003 EX-L
    179k miles orig tranny June 2017

I wonder if the mechanic ran wires down to the ac clutch to jump it permanently just to get it to work and when the belt came off it took the wires out. Can you post a pic?
    2008 Odyssey Ex

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    I didn't see what yr your Ody is. Perhaps I missed it. Just looked at your other posts and it appears you have a 2007 Ody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post

Yep, I admit that my answer was a little 'snippy', as was 2007MommyMobile's post #2. Childish of me.

I have read quite a few posts dealing with the failure of the serpentine belt tensioner and/or bolt failing 'after' replacing the alternator or serpentine belt. Perhaps that mechanic removed that belt. When/if I replace that belt on my Ody (or the alternator), I will be sure to replace that tensioner pulley and bolt also.
    I think the belt that broke on yours may have been the smaller belt that drives the PS, so I may be way off base.

Do you have any trouble codes showing or any other things not working well, except the AC problem.

Check fuse #22 (7.5A) which is for the 'MG Clutch' on my '03. I believe that is the compressor clutch.
    It is in the Under the Hood fuse/relay box.
    Your yr Ody may be different in fuse layout.

I just spent around 10 min looking at my '03 and didn't see any wires fitting your description. Is it possible that those wires were connected to the PS switch?
    Did those wires run along the firewall or by the radiator? I only looked at radiator end.
    Do your windshield washers work? Anything else not work, like your radiator fans, etc.

Buffalo4

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

Buffalo4......Yes, you're right! I should have just kept my mouth shut. I was just surprised that I didn't have any replies, knowing the level of knowledge many of you guys/gals have. So, my apologies!!

Now my response to your questions, Buffalo4 ---> Yes, I drive a 2007 Ody Touring, with 147K.

The belt that broke was the serpentine belt, as it's the main one you're seeing when you open the hood. If I'm correct, the serpentine belt does drive the PS (Power Steering?), as well as everything else, right? Yes, that's the one! I can't say whether or not he had to remove it but I do know that a week later, the bolt broke in half, leaving part of that bolt stuck inside the belt tensioner. My guy friend was able to remove it, however, I ended up purchasing a new belt tensioner and pulley. I had no idea that my Odyssey required a hydraulic tensioner!

As for any codes, no! I did notice for some strange reason, my passenger side door will not open from the inside, period! This just started happening right after the serpentine belt slipped off, etc. What could be the reason for that? Everything else seems to be fine, as of this moment!

You mentioned checking the fuse under the hood. I pulled the diagram of the fuse box and it shows fuse #12 (7.5A). I'm going to see if I can change out that fuse and see if t
    Now, as far as the wires in question, it looks like the blue wire is coming from the compressor (clutch) area, then up towards the WS washer fluid tank, though not connected to anything. It then continues across the front (not firewall) near the radiator and then it looks like it connected to "ground" somewhere in that vicinity. This is because the wire isn't long, & therefore it could only connect to a few places!!

Kscha41, you are right on track there! I am going to attach some pic in a minute so you can see what I'm talking about!

Thanks again for everyone's help! ~Monica

Fuse Diagram.JPG Blue wire running from compressor to yellow wire then capped.jpg Yellow wire continues.jpg Yellow wire ground.jpgYellow wire is connected to the clutch.jpg

Wow, those wires are definitely not oem. I wonder what he did to try and make the ac to work. You might have to find another mechanic than can do a little better of a job.
    2008 Odyssey Ex

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread