Idle Fluctuation under Warranty
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idle Fluctuation under Warranty

Idle Fluctuation under Warranty

Our '01LX with 73K miles has recently started having idle problems fluctuating between 600-1100 rpm especially when in park or neutral. From searching here I would guess it is the IAC valve or the power steering wire. Would either of these be covered under warranty (BTW, no MIL/CEL light yet)? I have seen TSB 04-007 re the IAC and says warranty consideration for out of mileage. Question would be is the idle control covered under the 80K emissions warranty. If I am not under warranty, I might just replace the IAC myself.

Also anyone have a picture of the power steering wire and where to check? I could not find that.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Not sure on the warranty coverage question but it wouldn't hurt to ask for goodwill. No picture for the power-steering wire but its location is described in the 5th post down on this thread:

Erratic idle

Does any surge in idle happen when you are in P and turn the steering from side to side?

If not the IAC and power-steering wire then its off to Plan B with:

ECU
    Vacuum leak
    MAP sensor
    O2 sensor
    EGR
    Air flow sensor

P.S. You'd think I knew what I was talking about with all this but only what I've jotted down over time for idle fluctuation.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thanks New Dad. I had seen that description of the wire, but was hoping I overlooked a picture. There was a post where either Eric D or Goodsonody had a picutre at one point but it was not there anymore. I should be able to find it between that description and the Helms manual.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB

You can also find the connector by tracing the wire. The wire traces a path from the passenger side of the engine compartment(on the chassis) and takes a sharp turn down, still following the chassis. This turn is about 6 inches from the firewall, near the very rear of the engine compartment. A few inches after turning down, it goes through a clamp and turns out diagonally to the power steering hose.

A branch off this wire also goes to an O2 sensor on the catalytic converter. Those are the only two things on this particular wire bundle.

Sometimes you can tell if its the power steering wire by leaning on the engine one way or another. If the fluctuation stops, its probably the PS wire.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

re fluctuating rpm

While in neutral..or preferably park tap the IAC with the handle of a screw driver or any hard object ....this should affect the surging rpm cycle..the IAC is problematic in the odys..I bet its the IAC..it is not hard to change...good luck
    Paul R

Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to be intermittent. I was waiting for a time when it is happening and I have a chance to look at it (or when it triggers the CEL/MIL). I will have to get out the Helms to see where the IAC is.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB

Our bad power steering switch wire was intermittent too, until it became continuous.

Once it completely breaks, the idle will smooth out at 1000 rpm or so I suspect.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

hi all, I didnt want to start a new thread so I searched for an old one. My father's van is having the same problems as described in the 1st post however, when I turn the streeting wheel while completely stopped, the idle does not rise. The problem arises when placed in "D" only (dont know about 2-3), while completely stopped or close to a full stop. The engine will jump up a few hundred RPMs and forces the car to move forward ( can be a bit scary sometimes). Can someone give me some advice? Thank you!

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    3HONDA, I think all the info you need is in this thread...power-steering wire and IAC.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    3HONDA, I think all the info you need is in this thread...power-steering wire and IAC.
    ok, thank you!

Here is a pic of the connector. I actually unclipped mine off and extended the wires so there was more play.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 Honda Ody 194,000
    2nd Tranny
    Myron Davis 15" TFT LCD Flipdown
    Monroe Reflex Shocks/Struts
    1995 Chevy Tahoe - 155,000
    Original Tranny
    Custom Air Intake
    TBI Spacer
    MSD Ignition
    HID Lights
    Edelbrock shocks

I had been feeling a slight surging when stopping at light at about 50k and didn`t give it much thought , finally when I had enough the Dealer replaced IAC valve under their Dealer warranty I had purchased from them at about 70k, surge still there, finally MIL came on At 85k , Dealer came up with tranny code and replaced tranny under Honda 100k warranty they had extended and this solved the problem. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Double Odyssey; 04-06-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    01 Mesa Biege EX: Ivory Cloth, Cass, Nose Mask, Cargo Tray, Pin Striping, Door Edge Guards, 100K/6YR/0Deduct LDS Warranty
    06 Sage Brush Pearl EX-L RES: Olive , Moonroof Visor, Nose Mask, Splash Guards, Wheel locks, Cargo Tray, Pin Striping, 120K/7YR/0Deduct Honda Care
    Honda EU3000is Generator

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements