2002 Odyssey turns but wont start.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Odyssey turns but wont start.

2002 Odyssey turns but wont start.

Our Odyssey had the transmission replaced a couple weeks ago. Was slipping between 2nd and third. By the way... they charged $650 for labor only. would've preferred free. It has 71,000 miles.

Anyways, out of nowhere, the Odyssey wont start. It turns and turns and turns....but wont start. The battery is fine. The fuses are fine. The Fuel pump makes noise like it is working. It sounds like fuel is getting to manifold.

The main thing i found. I took out one of the sparkplugs. Attached to the wiring...tried to start...touched part of engine....and no spark.

Any ideas why its getting no spark? where to look?

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'd have it towed to the dealer so they can reattach whatever plug they left loose. And pay that nice tow truck driver too.

Avoid dealer

Thats my last option. I should be able to use AAA to tow.

I'm just trying to make every attempt, myself, to either fix or have a clue as to whats going on. That way its harder for the dealer to make up something. Plus if they are fixin something they broke from last time, i figure they may break something new when they fix this.

As you can tell I hold high regard for Dealer Service. ) Not too paranoid either. haha

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    I think they reprogram the PCM when they do a tranny swap. If they don't reprogram your keys, then the immobilizer may prevent the engine from turning over. Does the immobilizer key light in the instrument panel flash at you while you are trying to start the engine? Or could be the immobilizer itself?

Do you have other microchipped keys on your keyring?

Otherwise, you say the battery is fine but if you jump-start will it turn over?
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

PCM

The van has run good since getting it back after trans replacement. Its been about 2 weeks. If the reprogramming of the PCM is an issue.... wouldnt it have had a problem from the start??

I will have to look to see if the immobilizer light comes on, when i get home.

Dont know anything about microchipped keys.

Yes battery is strong. Bought last year. I was trying to start from Monday night till Tuesday night, before the battery started wearing down and needed some charging.

Thanks.

Re: 2002 Odyssey turns but wont start.

Originally posted by jbarry06248
    Our Odyssey had the transmission replaced a couple weeks ago. Was slipping between 2nd and third. By the way... they charged $650 for labor only. would've preferred free. It has 71,000 miles.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm assuming you didn't have the extended warranty and received goodwill from Honda?
    Bill
    SENIOR CHIEF UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED
    24 yrs, 2 months, 28 days, 1 wake-up

2011 EX-L, Polished Metal, Splash guards and those spiffy Honda all-weather mats and cargo tray, Fog lights, OEM hitch and harness

2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5, TRD, Huskyliners, TRD Sway Bar,4x4, a very nice shade of black

Yes, i did not have the extended warranty. Did the recall (installation of oil jet for 2nd gear) around 40,000.

Tried to get them to give on the labor, but mainly because i dont use honda Service and have only bought 1 new Honda, they only budged a little. From $850 to $650.

Did you try the other keys?
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

If you mean the key thats put into the ignition (not microchip keys), i'm not sure. I may have only tried my key. I will have to try my wife's.

Would that really be a possible solution? since the key actually turns?

The fuel pouring into the engine during all that cranking is probably washing down into the oil. After you have it fixed by the dealer (as egads suggested), have them change the oil too. Gasoline is a very poor lubricant.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Yes, very likely.
    2002 EX - Transmission replaced at 84,000km (52,000 miles). Sold at 104,000km.

Maybe i'll change the oil before i send to dealer or when I find a way to fix myself. Thanks for the tip!

I refuse to give up...at least till tommorrow.

If you mean the key thats put into the ignition (not microchip keys), i'm not sure. I may have only tried my key. I will have to try my wife's.

Any key cut right would turn. Only a key with a chip inside will allow a start. All your keys have the chip. Even the Valet key (the grey one) It is likely that a key from another vehicle you own also would have a chip. It is not recommended that you keep two chip keys on the same ring. All this may be a red herring. I do remember a post a while back about some connector working it's way loose after a trans swap.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. It would be awesome to be that simple.

IT STARTS!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! IT STARTED USING A DIFFERENT KEY!!

I think i'm half pissed that i have been trying to figure this out since Monday night. and half thrilled...especially since i was about to send this to the dealer. I guess i'll just chalk it up to learning more about the van...for the next problem....which i'll forget by then. haha

THANKS SOOOOO Much!!

As far as draining the oil...i plan to do the oil filter too. I'm guessing I should drain it without getting temp up to operating temp?? Will the draining be enough to get rid of the gas...or at least good enough??

Thanks! Thanks!! Thanks!!!

John

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements