Front end vibration
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front end vibration

Angry Front end vibration

OK. Honda is acting stumped. ACTING. Is there anyone out there w/ a 05 Touring that has a vibration or shaking of the steering wheel between 65-70 MPH? The Honda Tech line if offering a quick fix but no root cause info or long term solution. I know of three in my area having the problem. One of the cars is an 06 Touring I was considering a trade but it is doing the same exact thing at 65MPH.
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Lots and lots of folks with 05/06 Ody's with vibrations in steering wheel at highway cruising speed! Check +05 Odyssey on this forum and you'll find em! Also go to Edmunds Automotive web-site, forums and you'll find a lot more of em! I have reviewed these and other web-sites and have not come across a single instance of Honda correcting the vibration defect for any of the complaintents!

My 06 EX-L has vibratied since day one. Both dealer and Honda have refused to repair safety defect under new vehicle warranty after two wheel balancings failed! On one occasion vehicle vibrated so bad had to exit freeway for fear of losing control!

Get impression they know the problem but either can't solve it or its to expensive to repair. They are attempting to shift burden and expense onto the consumer by simply redefining "defect" as "charcteristic" of vehicle! As if all 05/06's vibrated at highway speeds!

As neither dealer nor Honda will honor my new vehicle warranty and repair this defect I was left with no choice but to file complaint with National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration @www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

I also sent certified letters to Honda and dealer. Honda replied with generic "your Honda Odyssey is performing as designed" the dealer never responded!

I have been a big Honda fan for years and owned other Honda vehicles, in fact, and unfortunately, traded an exceptional 03 Ody in on this vehicle. On this and other forums you will find most posters are long time Honda owners so the problems are real and these aren't Honda bashers but disappointed owners looking for solutions....

Good Luck

front end vibration

Thanks for responding. I was getting worried no one else was experiencing it. I am still persuing Honda and the dealer to repair or replace. I am curious about the 07's. I too have owned several previous Honda's but am extremely disapointed w/ this purchase.
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

Please post results you have pursuing Honda on "repair or replace". In my case they acknowledged "slight" vibration in steering (so slight on one occasion I had to pull off freeway due to excessive shimmying).

I sent documented letter, certified mail, to Honda and dealer. Got "dear John" reply from Honda and NO response from dealer.
    Honda has redefined "defect" into "characteristic of vehicle"
    obviously to avoid cost of repair and circumvent perfoming under new vehicle warranty. Honda is trying to shift burden and expense of defects onto consumer.

I purchased my first new car in 1947. Through years have had many, many cars and trucks in my business. The only other demonstration of such Manufacturer/Dealer arrogance was on a 1982 Olds diesel! I have not purchased a GM product since. Olds is gone, GM is in dire straights...and Honda, if not careful, is going to find itself in the same mold.....

Good Luck

Got my van back again! Yesterday I got a "forced front end balance." Well that really did it! Now by Great van drives like a HUMMER! It is stiff to turn and feels like the wheels are grinding on the road instead of rolling smoothly! It's like the van wants to go straight when I am turning! Any ideas?
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

Bmagera: I have been trying to get vibration/shimmy at highway cruising speeds remedied since purchase in May. Now 3 mos and am totally frustrated and fed up!

My dealer balanced tires which didn't work, and then "Road Force"
    balanced two days later. Couple days later I checked my tire pressures and they read..24psi, 28psi, 29psi & 32psi!! Dealer had balance tires twice without checking tire pressures!!

So, suggest you check tire pressures first. Seems from what I've followed on boards 35/36psi all way round seems to be best and tire pressure is critical on Odyssey.
    Mine also has been handling like a truck. Took it to another Honda dealer in another town and they spent over 4 hours going thru suspension. They also re-aligned front end and made significant improvement in handling altho they detected vibrations/shimmy in steering but are at a loss as to cause and cannot cure.

I have made 5 attempts to get this defect corrected...my dealer and Honda say its not a defect but a characteristic of these vehicles so they are telling me all Odysseys vibrate/shimmy at cruising speeds!! Sent certified letter to American Honda and dealer...got "dear John" letter from Honda re; "my vehicle is operating as designed and there are no defects affecting its operation". Did not get courtesy of a reply from my dealer or should I say ex-dealer!

My van seems to be about perfect except for vibrations/shimmy. Have not had any of the myriad of other problems posted on forum. Am, at this point, undecided where to proceed to next.

Good Luck

2006 Ody EX-L

Past cars: 47 Chev Fleetline Aero-Sedan; 48 Stud. Champ Conv.
    50 Olds Rocket 88 Cpe; 57 Dodge Sweptwing Hemi-500; 62 TR-4; 64 Pont GTO; 65 Pont LeMans Cpe; 67 Alpha Romero Spyder; 69 Mustang Mach-1 390; 78 Datsun 280Z; and a few for the laughs:
    60 Chev Corvair; 82 Olds Regency 98 Diesel; two Volvos a Hillman Minx and a Renault 4CV. All new and expense led to extreme poverty in retirement...Food Stamps gratefully accepted.

TSB Bulletin

TBS Bulletin on this.

2005 Honda Truck Odyssey V6-3.5L
    Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Tires/Wheels - Steering Wheel Vibration at 60-70 MPH

Tires/Wheels - Steering Wheel Vibration at 60-70 MPH
    Notes

04-066

November 12, 2004

Applies To:
    2005 Odyssey Touring - ALL

Steering Wheel Vibrates When Driving Between 60 and 70 MPH

SYMPTOM

The steering wheel vibrates when driving between 60 and 70 mph.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Improper tire balance. Vehicles with Michelin PAX system tires are sensitive to wheel/tire imbalance.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Balance all four tires.

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

Operation Number: 421310

Flat Rate Time: 1.2 hours

Failed Part: P/N 42700-SHJ-C91
    H/C 7709876

Defect Code: 07406

Symptom Code: 05501

Template ID: 04-066A

Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty:
    Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Drive the vehicle for 10 minutes at 55 mph or more to raise the tire temperatures to full operating level. This eliminates any flat spots on the tires.

2. While the tires are still hot, raise the vehicle on a lift. Remove all four tires, and lay them flat on the shop floor.

3. Remove the valve cap and valve core from each tire's valve stem. Let all of the tires deflate.

4. Inflate one of the tires to 51 psi. Deflate the tire, and inflate it again to the same pressure. Reinstall the valve core, and inflate the tire again to 51 psi. Reinstall the valve cap. Repeat this entire step for the other tires.

NOTE: You may hear a pop when you inflate the tire to 51 psi; this is normal.

5. Use a Hunter GSP 9700 wheel balancer or equivalent to check and balance each tire.

NOTE: For best results on PAX system tires, make sure the wheel balancer is in good repair and bolted to the shop floor. Always use the centering cones and clamps recommended in the operator's manual. Make sure you clamp the wheel securely to the balancer.

6. When you are done balancing all four tires, set the wheel balancer indicator to static mode. Also make sure the indicator is set to give actual readings, not rounded readings.

7. Check the balance of each tire again.

^ If the indicated correction is less than 5 grams, go to step 8.

^ If the indicated correction is more than 5 grams, balance the tire again.

8. Find the light spot on each tire, and mark it with a blue marker.

9. Turn the front brake rotor by hand until the ground-off area (heavy spot) on the rotor is facing straight up. Mark this spot with a white marker.

10. While keeping the rotor stationary, reinstall the tire with the blue mark (light spot) facing as straight up as possible. Torque the wheel nuts to 127 Nm (94 lb-ft).

11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for the other front tire.

12. Reinstall the rear tires. Torque the wheel nuts to 127 Nm (94 lb-ft).

13. Set the front tire pressures to 33 psi; set the rear tire pressures to 35 psi.

14. Test-drive the vehicle to make sure the vibration is gone.

© 2006 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
    Terms of Use

I am gonna go w/ "They didn't do ANY of that!" I have a meeting w/ a regional Rep next week. My steering and handling are horrible. My shop mgr. won't even discuss this he says the force balance "fixed the problem", nevermind my new crappy steering! Thanks for the info. I may print it and take it to my meeting.
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

service bulletin 04-066
    Good luck. You may need it.

My dealer also bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Met w/ an American Honda Rep yesterday. NOT GOOD! He said my car drives as good as the one he just drove 18,ooo miles. I told my husband it's like explaining GOOD golf clubs to a person that doesn't play golf. If he never drove a Touring when it was good how does he know bad? Not sure where I am going next.
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

I would call Honda customer servive.

Honda Automobile Customer Service
    Honda Automobile Customer Service stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Honda vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
    Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 999-1009

By Fax
    (310) 783-3023

By Mail
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Honda Automobile Customer Service
    Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Honda Automobile Customer Service is more than happy to help with U.S. Honda vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Honda Canada Automobile Customer Service toll-free at (888) 946-6329

bmagera,

Did you ride with the rep? To point out the vibration. If you really feel the vibration then you should ride with. and when it happens you can point it out. They can't deny the problem if its really there.

Eric

Ours has around 17k on it now.

It has never tracked straight (it pulls to the right) and has always has a slight vibration at 65 mph or so. 2 dealers have checked it a total of 5 times. They claim it is "normal".

They blame the pull on "radial pull" although it does it no matter where the tires are on the van. They claim that the vibration is because Pax tires "are hard to balance."

So, FWIW, you are not the only one with this issue.
    2002 Mazda Miata (Supercharged). 2006 Acura MDX Touring, 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4, 2010 Volkswagen GTI (6 Speed Manual)
    -------------------------------------
    Fondly remembered: 2006 Odyssey Touring (Slate Green)

That's discouraging I was considering trading to an 06. We are very frustrated to say the least. honda doesn't deny the problem they just won't admit they have a problem. Our defiinately tracks straight right!
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

We did ride w/ the Rep and he just wanted to say the van felt good to him. As I said before the vobration was dempened by whatever they did to the toeing of the car. Not sure about that spelling. BUT whatever they did to dampen the vibration has now made it drive like a truck which is a very subjective thing. Peir, the Rep, says because of the mileage 35k Honda will most likely just dismiss the complaint! Why do they think we MOMS buy these vans to sit in the driveway? We drive the hound out of them that's why I thought I was getting a good van. I am going to concact the NTSB and BBB today. Who knows from there!
    05 Sage Brush Touring
    All weather mats
    Trunk tray
    XM wired in

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements