Oil Leak - Rear main seal?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Leak - Rear main seal?

Oil Leak - Rear main seal?

I have a 1999 with about 127K on it. I'm the original owner. Seemed like all-of-a-sudden oil was leaking from high up in the engine. Honda shop said "rear main seal, $950" I said that I could not afford that and took it to my mechanic. He said he couldn't see the leak, but doubted the rear seal. Just in-case he bought one and when he dug into it saw it was the leak and put it in. He just called and said he thought the PCV valve was clogged and may have caused the rear main seal to leak.

Is this possible/feasible? No code was thrown. If this is the case people should be verry careful to replace the PCV at whatever interval is recommended.

I would appreciate any input or thoughts on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

An engine mechanical problem like an oil seal won't throw a code. It's hard to say if the clogged PCV valve caused the seal to blow, but it can cause high pressure inside the engine crankcase. That pressure has to go somewhere. So I suppose it's possible it blew the main seal. Tough break.

It's good advice to replace the PCV valve. It's also easy to test it - just give it a shake. You should hear the valve moving around.

How much did your mechanic charge to replace the seal?
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

My mechanic charged me $595 for the seal, pcv, quart of oil, and labor. He's a good guy. His specialties are transmissions and Fords. He'll take apart a trany, find the bad part, fix it, and re-install very efficiently. But, domestic tranies are his specialty.

PCV was frozen pretty solid, no air could move either way. I agree that the pressure has to go somewhere. I really haven't heard of a main seal blowing from it; I wondered if anyone else had.

I could understand some oil blowing out past the main seal due to the excess pressure in the crankcase, but I wouldn't expect damage to the seal due to that.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Superdad - I agree that the seal may not have been damaged. It may even have been possible that replacing the PCV valve could have solved the problem. If the Honda dealer could have diagnosed the PCV, I would have had them replace it. But, they appeared convinced the rear main seal needed to be replaced.
    1999 EX Granite Green

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements