Cruise Control won't engage
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruise Control won't engage

Cruise Control won't engage

We have an 03 Odyssey, EX-L. Recently the cruise control stopped working. The dash system power light turns on, but the cruise will not engage. No "Cruise" light in the instrument cluster, no engagement. Neither the set, resume or coast buttons will cause it to set. The steering whel radio buttons continue to work. Anyone else experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Hopefully it is just a fuse/relay for the cruise control. Also, there was mention of a blue connector that was unplugged in the attached thread. Did you have some accessory installed lately?

need help with security system
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Re: Cruise Control won't engage

Originally posted by adeller
    We have an 03 Odyssey, EX-L. Recently the cruise control stopped working. The dash system power light turns on, but the cruise will not engage. No "Cruise" light in the instrument cluster, no engagement. Neither the set, resume or coast buttons will cause it to set. The steering whel radio buttons continue to work. Anyone else experienced this?
    I have had this happen to me twice. Each time I switched the main cruise switch off and on and the problem was gone.
    2002 EX - Transmission replaced at 84,000km (52,000 miles). Sold at 104,000km.

Unfortunately, I have tried turning the cruise onand off several times. The battery was even dis-connected once (it had died). And no new accessories have been installed.

Next check the brake switch.

cruise inop

Our "03 Lx was intermittently going inop on trips and after I saw several others with problems involving the switch on the brake pedal that also ties into the cruise I worked the switch with my finger a few times and it apparently removed some debris or build up of something that breaks the continuity in the switch. Anyway, if it goes out on you when you're on the freeway try just tapping the brake pedal and engage the cruise again. I bet it will work.
    nomadman

I borrowed a manual and started through the troubleshooting guide. First removed and checked all the fuses (all good). Also cycled the brake switch with the finger several times. Went and tried it again befor diving in further and the cruise now works. Don't exaclty what it was, but most likely the brake switch. Thanks all for the advice.

-Art

Re: Cruise control won't engage

I also had this problem on my 2003 Ody. Starting in about July of 2006 the cruise control sometimes would not engage. Cycling power to the cruise control and waiting several minutes usually allowed it to engage. The problem got worse with time. I finally consulted the archives and the manual and pulled the brake switch. Upon disassembly of the switch I found one pair of contacts burned with heat discoloration of the metal nearby. Cleaning the contact and bending the metal slightly (to increase contact force) returned the cruise control to normal function. However, because of an associated problem with the transmission lock not disengaging with my foot on the brake, that switch will be replaced. Part is around $16 at the dealer and is less than a minute to swap out.

Steve Mahan

I have the same problem with an '03 Ody. Where is the fuse that controls this? Also, can someone direct me on how to find the brake switch?

If I blow compressed air from a can, the kind of which is used to clean computer keyboards, into the contacts of the steering wheel, can this help in recovering the cruise control function?

Thanks!!
    '03 Odyssey, silver.
    Cargo Tray.
    Backup sensor.
    '08 Accord EX, 4 cylinders.

The brake switch is down by your brake pedal. Blowing compressed air in the steering wheel will create more problems than it will fix. It just stirs dust dust up and blows it in the contacts that are open.
    In diagnosing the brake switch it should be checked with a multimeter first to determine if it is the problem or not. That way you aren't in limbo wondering if it was bad or not.
    As for computer keyboards I have seen it damage more than it fixed.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    The brake switch is down by your brake pedal. Blowing compressed air in the steering wheel will create more problems than it will fix. It just stirs dust dust up and blows it in the contacts that are open.
    In diagnosing the brake switch it should be checked with a multimeter first to determine if it is the problem or not. That way you aren't in limbo wondering if it was bad or not.
    As for computer keyboards I have seen it damage more than it fixed.
    Your points are well taken, thanks!
    '03 Odyssey, silver.
    Cargo Tray.
    Backup sensor.
    '08 Accord EX, 4 cylinders.

Cruise control & SRS not working

I had the van at the dealership 4 days ago for the SRS light always ON and cruise control not working. The cruise had been acting up for 3 months. Sometimes it wouldn't engage at all, other times the buttons would be mixed up (accelerate when cancel was pushed!!!)

The diagnostic: they "think" the cable reel in the steering column needs to be replaced. They told me that it would be covered under the 5Y/100 000km powertrain warranty (I have 90 000km). It is ordered and will be installed next week. Hopefully it will solve both problems. I'll post with results.
    SportVan (because it feels like one)

2003 Redrock Pearl EX on its 3rd tranny
    Honda full towing package, AirLifts
    Magnefine ATF Filter, Mud guards all around, Block heater,
    Michelin winter tires on steel rims.
    Popup trailer.

Problem fixed

The stored codes were 11-40 and 92-20

The reel assembly cable (part 7790-S0X-A22) was the culprit! Both SRS and cruise control problems fixed.

Cost: 20$ for the diagnostic, the part and labor cost was covered by warranty.

I'm happy!

Sportvan
    SportVan (because it feels like one)

2003 Redrock Pearl EX on its 3rd tranny
    Honda full towing package, AirLifts
    Magnefine ATF Filter, Mud guards all around, Block heater,
    Michelin winter tires on steel rims.
    Popup trailer.

Great info. I fixed mine by pushing the brake light switch all the way in. Twist it out with a quarter turn then push it all the way down and twist it back. Check to make sure it does not engage the brakes you may have to back it out a little if it does. The cruise control will not come on unless the brake light switch is fully depressed when the brake pedal is in its natural position.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements