Squeaky brakes?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeaky brakes?

Squeaky brakes?

When we back the Ody out of the garage, it makes a high pitched squeal as if it were the brakes. It happens with or without my foot on the brake. When I drive about 5 minutes the sound disappears and doesn't come back until the vans sits a few hours. It's an '03 with 45,000. Any thoughts?

I'm doing a tranny fluid and engine oil change - maybe I'll check the brake pads(?) Is there a way to tell they need changed? Or, can You send me to a previous post on how to check the pads?

One last question - is Handa a good place to buy Ody maintenance stuff?

Thanks!
    -2003 Odyssey EX-L
    Midnight Blue Pearl/Grey Leather
    -2006 Honda Element EX-4WD
    -1992 Honda Accord DX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You're kidding right? You haven't checked (or had checked) the pad wear in 45k? What you may be hearing is the wear indicators. By the time they start making noise it can be so late you need rotors also. Pad wear is all over the place mileage wise. It depends on the vans use. A mom running kids around town can go through pads in 30k. A mostly highway miles one can go 60k or more. Handa is as good a place as any to get pads. Most of the places are within $3-5 of each other. It is important to use real Honda pads.

Thanks. So, how can I tell the rotor needs changing? The front rotor has a groove on the outside edge - shouldn't the whole thing be smooth? The back rotor feels smooth. The noise is coming from the front by the way. Is swapping rotors a very difficult task?
    -2003 Odyssey EX-L
    -1992 Honda Accord DX

WSY
    Originally posted by blue '03 EX-L
    Thanks. So, how can I tell the rotor needs changing? The front rotor has a groove on the outside edge - shouldn't the whole thing be smooth? The back rotor feels smooth.
    You need to measure the thickness of the rotor to see if it is thick enough to avoid replacement. If the rotor is too thin, it will need to be replaced. BTW, they are replaced in pairs.

It sounds like you will need to "turn" or machine the discs/rotors so that they are smooth, but there must be enough material on the rotors to permit machining. Many auto stores will be able to do the machining for you for a nominal charge.
    Another silver '04 Odyssey LX,
    stuck in traffic in SoCal...

OK thanks WSY. I found a local place that measures/machines them for $10 each. I also found previous posts for removal/installation. I guess I should have looked there first. Thanks again.
    -2003 Odyssey EX-L
    -1992 Honda Accord DX

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar

Re: Squeaky brakes?

Originally posted by blue '03 EX-L
    It happens with or without my foot on the brake.
    Could be a stuck brake caliper. A brake service might free it up. I'd still look into new pads though.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I just called Honda and they said for a complete front brake job - new pads, machine the rotors and clean/lube calipers would be $194. Me doing it would be about $110. I'm a DIYer who can't find the time and the Ody continues to squeak - I may pay the extra $84 and let them do it.
    Last edited by blue '03 EX-L; 03-17-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    -2003 Odyssey EX-L
    -1992 Honda Accord DX

A coupon might bring that down even more. At my dealer, if I make an appointment online through Honda's ownerlink site, I get an additional discount. You might check into that.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Originally posted by egads
    A coupon might bring that down even more. At my dealer, if I make an appointment online through Honda's ownerlink site, I get an additional discount. You might check into that.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp
    That's valuable information. Thanks!
    -2003 Odyssey EX-L
    -1992 Honda Accord DX

My 03 Ody does the same thing. It squeals when backing out of the driveway, but only in reverse not going forward. Breaks have been replaced mulitple times since it has 140k on it, but squeal always remains.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements