"D" light off
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "D" light off

Question "D" light off

The green "D" light is off when I shift to Drive on my '03 Ody Ex.
    Does anyone know if it means transmission trouble? or just simply means the light bulb needs to be replaced?
    It seems to run fine as usual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Change the bulb. If you don't want to buy a new one, pull the bulb out of the "1" and swap it with the burnt out one.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and watch the D indicator. If the indicator comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off, its OK. If it doesnt come on at all, change the bulb or troubleshoot the circuit.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I tested turning on the ignition switch on, no light.
    I guess the light is burnt.
    Does anyone has instruction on how to change this lightbulb?
    Thanks

Can someone help me with instructions on how to replace the light bulb of the "D" indicator on the dash? Thanks.

Originally posted by Qster
    Can someone help me with instructions on how to replace the light bulb of the "D" indicator on the dash? Thanks.
    Set the parking brake, use the ignition lock over-ride to move the shift lever out of park and all the way to 1st. (unless you don't mind listening to the key chime, in which case you can use the key in the ignition to move the shift lever)

It will provide additional clearance if you remove the steering column covers - but is not strictly necessary, you just have to be careful not to scrape anything up. Lower the column as far as it will go.

Remove the center dash panel around the radio (it's held on with spring clips) sometimes you can get it started to pop off by working a sturdy rag behind the top left edge (the pointy edge by the steering column) and giving it a tug. They're tough to get loose if it hasn't been off in the past, but will pretty much fly off if it has been apart previously. Disconnect the HVAC and dome lamp over-ride switch connectors and set the panel aside.

Remove the left side dash panel with the power mirror and cruise switches. remove all the phillips screws holding the upper vent panel (including the two that are going up in the meter visor) and remove the vent panel (you'll need to lightly pry the top part of the visor down and out of the upper dash and be careful not to break the left side vent as you work the panel loose) - disconnect the hazard switch and clock (great time to replace the clock lamp while it's out)

4 more phillips screws and the meter is out - you'll need to rotate the top of the meter down and out to disconnect the connectors, and then work the meter past the steering wheel.
    install in reverse order of disassembly. Pay attention to how the meter visor (part of the center dash vent panel) pops in and up into the upper dash recess, and how it secures along the bottom edge of the meter assembly - get it wrong and it'll bow up across the bottom of the meter lens.

Took longer to type this than it'll take to do the job.

Good luck

JD
    "Success is 99% Failure"
    Soichiro Honda

Originally posted by D119829
    ...and that is the essence of good and proper instructions.

Regards, OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, I'll work on it this weekend.

Set the parking brake, use the ignition lock over-ride to move the shift lever out of park and all the way to 1st. (unless you don't mind listening to the key chime, in which case you can use the key in the ignition to move the shift lever)

It will provide additional clearance if you remove the steering column covers - but is not strictly necessary, you just have to be careful not to scrape anything up. Lower the column as far as it will go.

Remove the center dash panel around the radio (it's held on with spring clips) sometimes you can get it started to pop off by working a sturdy rag behind the top left edge (the pointy edge by the steering column) and giving it a tug. They're tough to get loose if it hasn't been off in the past, but will pretty much fly off if it has been apart previously. Disconnect the HVAC and dome lamp over-ride switch connectors and set the panel aside.

Remove the left side dash panel with the power mirror and cruise switches. remove all the phillips screws holding the upper vent panel (including the two that are going up in the meter visor) and remove the vent panel (you'll need to lightly pry the top part of the visor down and out of the upper dash and be careful not to break the left side vent as you work the panel loose) - disconnect the hazard switch and clock (great time to replace the clock lamp while it's out)

4 more phillips screws and the meter is out - you'll need to rotate the top of the meter down and out to disconnect the connectors, and then work the meter past the steering wheel.
    install in reverse order of disassembly. Pay attention to how the meter visor (part of the center dash vent panel) pops in and up into the upper dash recess, and how it secures along the bottom edge of the meter assembly - get it wrong and it'll bow up across the bottom of the meter lens.

Good luck

JD

Good luck

JD
    I am able to take the dash out but how do you take out and replace the bulb. Do I take off the needles and the face or is there a way to access it from behind. And does anyone know what kind of bulb it is so I can get one. Thanks.

So does anyone know how to get to the indicator lights? My "D" light does not work. Do I need to take off the 2 needles (gas and temperature) and take off the face gauge to access the lights, or do I need to get it from behind. The service manual was not that helpful. Thanks.

In the post quoted above, it says to remove the meter. By that he means the entire instrument cluster. Then disconnect all the connectors on the back. Remove it to a place it can be laid face down. The lamps are attached to little plastic 1/4 turn holders. The clock and the climate control units are the same.

I have the same problem with the D indicator not working. Last weekend I took the instrument cluster out and was unable to locate and identify any lamps directly behind the D. There is a large bulb nearby which lights the temp and fuel gage and a small group of lamps above the PRNDL area that light up a bunch of other indicators. I removed various lamps and shined a bright fiber optic penlight in each hole and none of them lit up the D.

Are the PRNDL lights LED's on a board that are fired from the vechicles computer based on gearshift lever position??? If so, then it's probably an expensive repair (replace the whole instrument cluster).
    '03 Ody EX
    Charcoal black in color
    Gray interior
    No cool parts
    Grocery Getter

I finally found out how to change out the gear indicator lamps.
    1. Follow D119829's instructions above to take the instrument cluster out.
    2. Once out take off lens cover, visor assembly (held in with tabs), and the black overlay.
    3. Flip the cluster over and take off the white cover, held in with tabs.
    4. You need to take out the temp, gas level and gear indicator section on the cluster.
    5. If you look on the circuit board where the temp, gas level and gear indicator are located you will see 4 bent silver tabs. With pliers bend these tabs up, and gently push on the tabs. The temp, gas level and gear indicator section will pop out. You will then be able to see the gear indicator lights.
    6. Gently pull the circuit board down and with needle nose pliers you will be able to pull the light out. Note how the orientation of the light, so you know how to put the new one in. I think it has to be installed a certain way.
    7. Gently push the light in with the needle nose pliers or a small screw driver.
    8. Gently push in the temp, gas level and gear indicator section back in. Make sure it is in all the way and bend back the 4 silver tabs.
    9. Put everything back in the reverse order.

You might want to pick up the bulb before doing this. The part number is 78181-SS0-003. Hope this helps, sorry I did not have my camera when I did this. Any questions let me know.

"D" Light off

I just had the exact same issue and your post here helped me out tremendously as it is now fixed and I just wanted to say thank you for your post!

I appreciate the detailed instructions. However, a "picture is worth a thousand words". I just finished changing my clock light bulb. The pictures made the job much easier.

In the future, can someone post "pictures". Also, is the bulb recquired the same as the "clock light bulb" with the same type bulb holder?

Thanks in advance.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements