Dead battery = Dead DVD player
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead battery = Dead DVD player

Dead battery = Dead DVD player

Hello all,

Our '06 oddy recently had to have it's battery recharged because one of our children left an interior light on. When the van was turned on and started the radio "asked" for the security code. The code was put in and everything seemed to work fine, except for the dvd player. My wife says the dvd player was working normally prior to the dead battery. Now, I am currently deployed to Iraq, so my wife is at home trying to deal with all the stuff that I normally do. I did some searching on the forum and found a post that references another post, which suggests removing the positive battery cable, but I can not find that origional post. Here is the url.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showt...tery+dvd+player

Does anyone out there have detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot this, seemingly common, problem? Looks like removing the cable worked for the guy in the above thread, but has anyone else tried this fix?

Also is anyone else having problems with the sliding doors 'creaking" and "popping" or making any other body noise that they shouldn't? Our van is out of warranty and has been in 5 times to have the doors adjusted. The service guys have been great by not charging us for labor and whatnot, but there has to be a long term fix, right?

Thanks in advance for any help you all may be.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Here's the original thread that I used: RES DVD stuck on loading

Dealer removed cables for about 1 hour. Replaced. Worked.

Jesse

Instead of removing the cable, I do believe that one can remove the radio fuse for a bit of time. Given the OP's circumstances, I will search tonight for that thread (currently at work) and post back the link if I locate it.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

I looked for a while for the fuse post but couldn't locate it. I know its here somewhere. Since you are deployed in Iraq, here is what I have come up with (but I don't know if your wife can do it). BEFORE she does either option, ask her to be sure that she has the security codes for the Audio (and NAV if your van has NAV) or else once the system gets power back, the radio won't work without the code(s). If she cannot find the code(s) and you guys bought your van brand new, the selling dealer will have the codes in their system and I believe they can give the codes over the phone.

Option 1 is to disconnect the battery positive terminal for over an hour (preferably overnight).
    Option 2 is to pull the fuses.

For Option 2, here is the page in the 2006 owner's manual depicting the fuses. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...606O00384A.pdf

You want to tell your wife to pull and check two fuses.

Fuse #11 in the secondary underhood fuse box (Rear Entertainment System Fuse). Its the second page in the above PDF that I have directly linked.
    Fuse #5 in the driver's side interior fuse box (radio fuse). Its the second page in the above PDF that I have directly linked.

The locations of the fuse boxes are on the second page of the PDF below:
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...606O00380A.pdf

Hope your wife can check these fuses. Please post back results/solution if this works.

** Edit **
    As to removing the battery cable trick, it does indeed reset the system and it has worked for more than one people for the CD Changer and NAV and even the DVD Player (says Loading on the radio screen I believe). It WILL work provided none of your fuses are blown. If option 1 does not work, then she will have to pull the RES fuse and perhaps the radio fuse and check them anyway.
    Last edited by dvpatel; 06-19-2008 at 08:11 PM.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Thumbs up

I wanted to thank you all very much for your help. My wife applied the procedure provided above and it worked flawlessly!

I searched for a forum like this as a last ditch effort before allowing the dealer control my bank account. Thanks to you, that is no longer necessary!

Thank you once again for your help and information!

Don

When you get a chance, please post what option your wife used. Did she go the Option 1 Disconnect the battery route or did she go the Option #2 removing the fuses route?

Also, good luck while there in Iraq and actually, thank you for serving.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Your problem has been solved (yay OdyClub) but I wanted to reply and thank you for your service.

THANK YOU!
    2006 Odyssey EX-L-RES - Taffeta White - purchased in 2006 with 19K miles to replace the 2002
    2002 Odyssey EX - Redrock Pearl - sold in 2006
    2000 Accord EX - Dark Emerald Pearl - purchased in 2003 with 44K miles to replace the 1992 Accord
    1997 Odyssey LX - Mystic Blue Pearl - traded for the 2002 Odyssey
    1992 Accord EX - Granada Black Pearl - 231,000 miles - sold after 11 years of great service... (sniff)

My wife's site: www.mommyspoodles.com

Originally posted by systemfilesinc
    Your problem has been solved (yay OdyClub) but I wanted to reply and thank you for your service.

THANK YOU!
    +1

THANK YOU!
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

I too had the same thing happen to my 2007 ody. Wife or kids left the house light on overnight last night and ran the battery dead. I Jumped started the car then recharged the battery. The DVD player ejected the dvd disc then was stuck in "loading DVD" mode. I followed the advice provided on this thread and disconnected the positive battery cable for about an hour. Bingo! The DVD was reset and it is now working fine again

Thanks ODYclub for the helpful info.

What is the science which calls for removal of the positive cable? In most cases, the negative cable is the best one to remove.
    Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry O View Post
    What is the science which calls for removal of the positive cable? In most cases, the negative cable is the best one to remove.
    Jerry O.
    If you pull the +ve, you are absolutely sure of removing the power 100%. If you pull the -ve, perhaps due to other grounds through out the Ody, there might ba chance the capacitors and what not continue to get power. Perhaps that is the science.

Disclaimer: This is PURE speculation on my part. I just recommend this as that is what has been known to work in several threads of the past and I have seen it work for the Accord in-dash CD Changers to spit out disks that are otherwise stuck and hence the recommendation to pull the +ve and not the -ve for me.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Warning!!!! Some may not realize the dangers or disconnecting the positive battery cable.
    When pulling the positive (without removing the neg first) be very extra careful that the wrench you are using does not contact ANY metal on the car, including the battery hold down bolts and the neg terminal clamp. If it does, it can cause a serious flash, burn or even an explosion of the battery.

Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    162k miles orig tranny Oct 2014

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements