Engine Whine was A/C Compressor clutch bearing - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Whine was A/C Compressor clutch bearing

I've had the A/C compressor whine for years now on my 2002. My dealer says it will eventually go, but could last quite a while before doing so. They recommended leaving it alone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Repalced clutch assembly without removing the compressor

I bought the clutch assembly, unbolted the compressor, and moved the front of it down so I could get the assembly off. Cost approx $200 for the assembly. I did not know about Odyclub until last weekend when a buddy from church told me about it. It took about 1 hour. Most of it was getting the shroud off and the new shroud clips back in place, and shimming the new clutch assembly.

Good luck.

Is it possible to replace the clutch without opening the refrigerant circuit?

After reading your original post again I think I have an issue with the compressor bearing because mine is only making noise when the compressor clutch is engaged. I assume this means I will need the whole compressor/clutch combo.
    Last edited by jsmorris; 02-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Joel

AC Clutch noise

You do not have to open the refrigerant circuit to replace it. Once the shroud it off, you will be able to see the 4 bolts that hold the compressor on. You will also have to loosen and move the cross brace that is blocking the AC. Just loosten the big bolt and rotate it out of the way. Before you start the job, and since you need to remove the serpentine belt anyway, once you have removed the belt, start the car and see if the noise is gone. If it is, turn it off, crawl under and rotate the AC pulley. If it sounds gravelly/noisey, then the pulley bearing needs to be replaced. By the way. If I knew of a bearing place around town, I would have bought the bearing and replace it for a lot less money. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes as it is about a 1-1.5 hour job.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. There are several bearing places here in town that I could at very least special order a bearing of a specific size. Does anyone have the correct bearing size for the 2002 model?
    Joel

AC Bearing Replacement

Hi Joel:

When you get it off I would take the whole thing down to the bearing place so they can size it up. Also, the bearing it crimpt in around the edges. Looks like a flat head screw driver was pounded around the pulley to hold the bearing. You will have to take a small grinder/dremel and grind it away. I am not sure if the bearing will slide out after that or it will have to be pressed out.

Good luck Joel

Thanks for the response. Does anyone see an issue with replacing the belt with a shorter belt to bypass the compressor for the time being so I can still drive the vehicle while I have the compressor & cutch torn apart?
    Joel

Hi Joel just get a shorter belt till you can repair the A/c compressor wont hurt it. I had same prob on my 1995 ody and took the old bearing to a local bearing supplier and the ordered me one from japan 40 instead of clutch assembly at 200 nice and easy on 1995 ody not sure on your model as we don't get that model in the U.K. hope it all goes well. Chris
    1995 silver 2.2 ody AWD jdm 198KMs
    1995 silver Civic 1.6 VTEC 5dr u.k.SOLD

Just noticed a very loud whining sound while driving. The higher the RPM's, the louder the whine. I thought it was my tranny, since I have some problems with it downshifting smoothly from 3rd to 2nd. But then I noticed that the sound would INSTANTLY disappear as soon as I turn off the A/C. So, you're saying this is most likely the compressor main bearing? Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated. I scoured this forum and this is the closest I've found to the symptoms I'm experiencing.
    '00 Ody EX

Whine

To isolate the noise. Take the serpentine belt off, start the engine and see if it went away. I also spun the AC compressor pulley and noticed and felt a gravely sound after I pulled the belt off.

It could be the bearings in the a/c comp. or the bearing in the comp. pulley hopefully its just the pulley bearings. You can remove the pulley from the comp without disconnecting the refrigerant hoses. If you want i can scan the shop manual of how to remove the pulley from the a/c compressor.
    1995 silver 2.2 ody AWD jdm 198KMs
    1995 silver Civic 1.6 VTEC 5dr u.k.SOLD

Originally posted by chrisw4266
    It could be the bearings in the a/c comp. or the bearing in the comp. pulley hopefully its just the pulley bearings. You can remove the pulley from the comp without disconnecting the refrigerant hoses. If you want i can scan the shop manual of how to remove the pulley from the a/c compressor.
    That'd be great if you can! I'll have a go and see what I find out. It could be the pully even though the whining stops immediately if I turn the A/C off? And this is a SUPER loud whining. Like I said, I thought it was the tranny until I turned off the A/C in the middle of a high rev super loud whining and it instantly went away.
    '00 Ody EX

FYI, a noise that STOPS when AC is turned off, is the compressor. If it keeps going regardless of AC ON or OFF its the clutch bearing.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

Hello. The OP had his entire compressor and clutch replaced, however my compressor seems just fine and the car cools great, I think the bearing just went bad on the clutch. Does anyone have a source for a AC clutch bearing? I have seen some at AZone and most don't say about fitment, you will have to take it off and compare. I have '06 exl.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

Just order the clutch assembly from Majestic as my noise is constant with or without a/c on. Do I need a special tool to remove the old one? I notice a few loaner tools available at auto zone for working on an A/C compressor.
    2001 Honda Odyssey

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements