variable cylinder management (VCM) problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: variable cylinder management (VCM) problems

variable cylinder management (VCM) problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have an Odyssey 2007 V6 with VCM, 29,000 miles. About 2 months ago we noticed a significant hesitation/surging feeling while driving at a constant speed on the highway (65-70 MPH). This hesitation is such that both the passenger and the driver can feel it- almost jerked forward a bit in the seat. The spedometer and RPM gauges both change about 5 points when this feeling occurs. Again, this is on the highway at a constant speed without cruise control. Initially when we took it in we were told the REAR MOTOR MOUNT had collapsed, and this could be the cause for the shifting/hesitaiton feeling. After the mount was replaced (only 27,000 miles on it then?) we drove the car again to find the problem still exhists. The dealer is trying to convince us this is "a normal variance within the VCM system." Normal? for both driver and passenger to be jerked foreward, normal for the RPM and spedometer gauges to change during constant highway speed? The owners manuel states that the VCM system, when activated, should go unnoticed to the driver- only the ECO light will engage. This certainly isn't the case. I have searched other web-sites and have found numerous complaints just like mine. Anybody out there having the same issue? The VCM system is good in theory, but if this is the type of quality that surrounds the design, it needs to be rethought. As I understand it, many Odyssey drivers with VCM notice absolutely nothing when the system engages (we didn't for the first 27,000 miles).

In addition, I have found during my research the motor mounts for the newer Odysseys are known to be weak due to the design/engagement of VCM during driving, going from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders and vice-versa causes enormous pressure on the mounts- look it up. (Honda has put out a warning to dealers addressing this issue) with weakening beginning at 50,000 miles (our motor mount went at only 27,000 miles!)

We are driving with the Honda Rep and service manager at our local dealership tomorrow- more to follow.

Anybody out there having similar issues? I'd love to hear from you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Because the VCM prior to 27K was seamless in execution, it should continue to do so. Be persistent with your dealer attempts to solve this issue and keep your documentation. You can also seek the advice of other dealers too.

VCM problems-dealers findings

Yesterday my husband drove with the service mgr and the Honda district representative. Everyone in the van agreed there is a noticable hesitation/surge when the VCM engages, with spedometer and RPM gauges both surging up about 5 points. Their conclusion was this: The van is behaving like it was designed when the VCM engages, going from from 6 cylinders to 3 cylinders. While they acknowledged that our van's transition is very noticable and distracting (passenger and drive are jerked forward a bit) there is nothing technically wrong with the van.

We are very dissappointed with the outcome and their findings. We could continue to voice complaints, but our dealer and local representative have made it clear that nothing will be done at this time. It is a issue within the VCM design. We are hoping that Honda will receive enough complaints from unhappy customers that a more reasonable solution will be found. After all, these vans are very pricey and a smooth ride is the least one should expect. Being jerked around in your seat while on the highway when the VCM engages, isn't the kind of quality Honda cutomers will tolerate for long.

Super Moderator
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but short of a real "safety" hazard with the bucking and jerking, even the NHTSA won't do anything about it. Witness the incidence of front springs breaking at a abnormally high rate and in some instances, puncturing the tires with disastrous results and accidents. The many complaints were recorded and to this date, no recall has been issued for the affected year models.

These symptoms do not seem anywhere that serious compared to the spring dilemma.

Safety hazard or no, you expect a certain level of performance in a $36,000 van.

As I stated in my prior posting, for the moment this is a design flaw that I am sure, at some point, will be addressed. Honda won't be able to sell a top of the line minivan that bucks and hesitates everytime you are on the highway due to VCM engagement. The hestitating/surging isn't the only issue Odyssey owners are experiencing. Check out all the various complaints about the VCM DRONE. Also, the VCM technology is also causing a weakening in the motor mounts on fairly new models due to the extreme pressure changes. VCM in theory, is a good idea, but there are clearly multiple bugs that need to be worked out.

Buyers just won't spend this kind of cash on a vehicle with this type of performance issue. If we test drove an 2009 Odyssey today that preformed the way our does now at highway speed, we wouldn't plop down a dime.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements