Battery dies after a few minutes of Radio
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery dies after a few minutes of Radio

Battery dies after a few minutes of Radio

Hi all. New to the forums.

About 5 month's ago I had my 07 Odyssey Touring at the beach and had the radio on with the car off. Only had it on for about 15-20 minutes. When I tried to start the car, battery was dead. Jumped the car, drove home, and no problems. Took it to the Honda Dealer and they checked and said everything was fine.

This morning, I was cleaning out the car and had the radio on again with the car off. After about 20 minutes I heard a crackling from around the fuse box area. Then the dash light up with CHECK VSA system, then the car was dead. So I jumped it, and it is working now.

Any clues what is going on here?
    Thanks in advance,
    M
    Steven Fisher

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You need to have the load on the battery checked with the radio on. Since the ignition has to be on to play the battery any radio or almost anything else could be defective and drawing excessive current. It could also be a bad battery and since it has been discharged several times I would replacew it. Current load on the battery can be checked with a multimeter set to amps. Also I would have the charging circuit checked. A lot of short runs will also not allow the battery to be fully charged.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    It could also be a bad battery and since it has been discharged several times I would replacew it.
    A 2007 should still be under full warranty (unless ofcourse if the OP racks on miles by the thousands and is over 36K). The stealer should replace the battery for FREE.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

OK. Just got back from the dealer. He says the battery checks out OK (as it did the first time).

He told me that since it is a Touring having the key set to accessory will drain the battery in 20 minutes because all of the other systems (nav, dvd) are on and suck down the battery.

This does not sound right to me. I have an '08 Cadillac CTS which just as much, if not more, high tech wizardry and the battery does not run dead after 15 minutes of radio play.

Any idea whats up?
    Steven Fisher

Dealers cop out far too often!

The crackling you heard around the fuse box indicates a short. The dealer needs to either test current draw as mentioned above by William or visually check the fuse box. They will probably find charred wiring. This is dangerous and could cause a major fire.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Take it to Autozone and get a second opinion perhaps? They do the test for ....

FREE

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Tell the dealer if the accesseries drain the battery in 20 minutes the battery in your van is critically undersized for that vehicle. My feeling is all Odysseys have had an undersized battery for many years. My Cobalt battery came with higher CCA than the Odyssey. If I remember right my Odyssey CCA was somewhere around 560 CCA. I replaced it with one of around 880 CCA. The audio equipment in the van should not be drawing that much current unless you have installed some third party high power sub and audio components. As I mentioned above have the load current checked with components on and off. Also if you heard arcing at the fuse panel it needs pulled and checked for signs of arcing. I would also as mentioned have the battery load tested by an independant mechanic and also check the charging system.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Super Moderator
    I'm with the concern of the "crackling" sound from the fusebox.

That asinine "heavy load" justificaton for the Touring model is full of:

You should not go back to that stealer for service.

Seek another dealer, if you have less than 36K, you are entitled to a new battery as the discharging has damage it permanently and it will NOT hold nor provide a full charge at this point in time.

The charging system may be fine, and a new battery will hold and provide a proper charge, but that crackling sound was NOT good. That is where you should have investigated throughly.

Thanks for the tips...I am going to bring it somewhere else...I spoke to the service manager, and he repeated the same thing. He said they ran all the tests and everything looked fine. Nothing was draining out of whack..

However, the proof is in the pudding. Battery would not start the car on two occasions. I will keep you updated on the second opinion.

Thanks again.
    Steven Fisher

the 'crackling' heard from the fuse block area could be from a relay that can't stay closed due to low voltage.

i'm curious to know what the battery voltage was each of the two times it wouldn't start and what the amperage is with the key in the accessory position and the radio on.
    08 Ody EX-L
    07 Civic LX - traded in for ^
    98 Jetta TDI - 287,000 miles - replaced with 07 Civic
    96 Passat TDI - 230,000 miles and counting (daily beater)

Originally posted by weasle543
    the 'crackling' heard from the fuse block area could be from a relay that can't stay closed due to low voltage.

i'm curious to know what the battery voltage was each of the two times it wouldn't start and what the amperage is with the key in the accessory position and the radio on.
    Can't answer those questions, but the service advisor said that they ran a test with the car on and off and everything was within normal operation. I am going to try and stop by a sears next week and have them check out the battery. Never thought in a million years I would have this issue with a Honda...
    Steven Fisher

Its just a battery dude. There are other bigger issues with Honda that you might not have heard of. Did you ever hear of tranny issues with Hondas? The cars are made by people and there are issues. If you are below 36K, they (stealer) owe you a new battery free of charge. Like I said, take it to Autozone and get the battery tested and then take it from there.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by dvpatel
    Its just a battery dude. There are other bigger issues with Honda that you might not have heard of. Did you ever hear of tranny issues with Hondas? The cars are made by people and there are issues. If you are below 36K, they (stealer) owe you a new battery free of charge. Like I said, take it to Autozone and get the battery tested and then take it from there.
    I'm not talking about the issue with the battery. I'm talking about the dealer acting like I'm nuts for thinking a dead battery after 20 minutes of radio is normal.
    Steven Fisher

Originally posted by Maeztro
    I'm not talking about the issue with the battery. I'm talking about the dealer acting like I'm nuts for thinking a dead battery after 20 minutes of radio is normal.
    There is a reason I called 'em "Stealer" and not dealer. There are some VERY good dealers and then there is a large pool of stealers. That's why I have been saying go to the Zone.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

A new, ****e battery should have a reserve capacity of 90 minutes at least. If 20 minutes of radio time nukes the battery, it is toast. Your dealer is a clown parade.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements