Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Rear Suspension noise

25K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  davedrivesody 
#1 ·
I replaced the shocks but am still getting some type of noise from the rear suspension. Its a hollow popping noise when I go over little bumps and washboard road sections. I've pulled the wheels twice and can find nothing loose, bolts are all tight, and no disconcernable play in any of the suspension support arms.

Thoughts?

#5 ·
Did the popping noise start when you replaced the shocks? If so, one or the other is the problem. Just curious, what brand did you get?

#6 ·
both old shocks were shot...so I'm not clear if the noise started with the replacement however it comes from both sides so that would mean both shocks are defective. I've pulled them and reinstalled, and retorqued them. I've also inspected the car from underneath several times. With the wheels installed and sitting on the ground, if someone lifts at the rear wheel well I can hear the noise but can't determine the location.

The replacements were the Monroe shocks, whatever was recommended.

I could buy a new set and replace them and see what shakes (or at least one at a time) but being the tightwad that I am, I hate to buy a new pair and then have that not be the problem.

I'm just puzzled. And I did search the past posts and didn't find any thing that quite fit my problem but could have missed something...

thanks for the comments and the help

#7 ·
bottom line, after playing lots of games with trying to determine the problems with the suspension I believe one of the new shocks was bad and causing 90% of the noise. I replaced it and their was much improvement with the nosie and ride. I also believe the right hand one isn't functioning properly. They likely came from the same batch, right?

meade

#8 ·
rear supsension noise

I just replaced my rear springs (with new OEM ones) hoping that the squeaky noise from my rear suspension will disappear. Well it didn't.
The noise continues to happen when I go over road joints, bumps, etc. pretty much at any speed...My driveway's end is about 3 inches or so higher than the street and every time i back out of it - as soon as the tires drop and then the body follows the squaky noise appears as well. the noise is abrupt and short. I made my friend drive the vehicle and i recorded the noise but i'm not sure how to host it so that you can take a listen. Any ideas where/how i can host this mp3 file?

It's a 2003 EX with 141K. The rear shocks are Monroe Sensatrack and have about 8K miles on them. I'm not 100% sure but i believe this squeaky noise started happening after my stealership type of shop (casey automotive, palatine, il) installed the rear shocks. I'm thinking of buying a set of KYB GR2 and putting them myself, hoping that this noise is due to deffective shocks maybe...could this be due to the shocks? what else could it be?

I had a very bad experience with the shop that did the struts/shocks last year. The front monroes they installed did not fit well (springs would move/making a metal screeching noise) and even though i went back to the shop 7 times, explaining the problem the idiots simply could not fix it - it was ridiculous, one time they put grease on the bottom of the spring to kill the noise, another time they told me they put cork material under the srpings, etc... at some point i just gave up...

a month ago i decided to get the whole OEM strut assembly ($240 each)- i installed it myself and voila - the noise is gone, the ride is great, the car is stable when turning, a day and night difference (prolly also because of the new springs that as part of the strut assy) - i just love it.

oh, another thing they messed up is the AT oil. i'm pretty sure they didn't put honda ATF Z1 oil because as soon as they flushed my tranny ( i wish i knew better at the time), it started having the shuddering at 40mph and above (under slight acceleration). I just changed the ATF filter today and will do the drain and fill this week. hopefully this helps.

Now if i could fix the other half that they messed up - the rear suspension, it'd be perfect. Any ideas/suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Zhelko

#9 ·
I think you are on the right track to suspect the rear shocks. Suggest you remove the rear shocks and back out of your driveway. If the squeak is gone, they are the problem.

I have always bought Monroe and I trust them. But I suppose any company can make a defective unit now and then.

- Dave

#10 ·
Monroe also has a lifetime warranty for those of us that keep our vehicles long-term.

#11 ·
I've got a 2014 EX-L that always has a distinctive bedspring / creaking noise that shows-up when the body rolls. This happens every day when I back out of my driveway which is on a slight hill and as I turn the steering wheel to back into the street, first the right side and then the left side (both rear) gets a bit of a creaking noise. This has happened since the van was new. I thought it was normal until I got a ride in a courtesy Ody van and had them do the same thing. No creak! The dealer has already done a TSB which replaced the front strut caps if I recall correctly. Now they want to try the door clips. I don't think that this is going to solve the problem. Any specific areas that I should tell them to check? I've read that other forum posts have said the knuckle bushing or rear lower control arm bushing. Is there an easy way to test this when at the dealer?

Your help and advice is appreciated!

#12 ·
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out body flex as the cause of the squeaking. Apply Shin-Etsu grease to the rubber door bumpers and the rubber weatherstripping on the hatch and sliding doors.

Do you live near the dealer? Have a tech listen from outside as you back out of your driveway? It should be easy to tell if it's from the body or the suspension.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.