Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2002 Steering Problem? Widespread?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  matteni 
#1 ·
I have 2002 LX and the steering wheel is not aligned on the column.

If you sit in the drivers seat the left side of the steering wheel is about 1 1/2 inches closer to the dash than the right side.

A friend who just bought an LX 3 months after mine, has the same issue. At his dealership every Ody on the lot had the same problem. The dealer is baffled - nobody has reported it yet. Its barely noticeable unless you drive with two hands on the wheel.

Wondering if this is a widespread problem or if anyone has had the same issue and had it fixed.

To check - use a tape measure and measure the distance from the posts on the drivers headrest to the outer edge of the left and right hand sides of the steering wheel.

You can also tell by looking at the wheel from a 90 degree angle from outside the vehicle.

#3 ·
They're all like that. They're built that way.

#5 ·
JoesYum said:
Its a special Honda feature, you can only get this from Honda.:D
Not quite. It was also included on the old Pintos! :)

#7 ·
02-RRP-EX said:

Maybe Honda based their design on the Pinto:D .
Let's hope not!

#8 ·
My E36 BMW was this way too - but much worse!

It has to do with the size and possition of the rack & pinion steering unit. Sometimes because of packaging problems (getting all the stuff squeezed in there) they have to offset the wheel slightly.

I don't have the Helms manual yet - still holding out for the group buy or someone to scan and index it on-line - but I bet you could tell from that.

Otherwise maybe we can commission Kimble to do a cutaway of the Ody???

:cool:

#10 ·
matteni said:
...I don't have the Helms manual yet - still holding out for the group buy or someone to scan and index it on-line - but I bet you could tell from that...
I'd be very surprised if either one of those occurs. Helm has no incentive to do group buys - they print the only manual available and they already have one group program - Honda shops. If by some miracle a group buy emerges, I wouldn't expect the savings to be much, maybe a few bucks.

Second, if someone scans, indexes, and makes available that particular copyrighted manual, you can bet he'd get a nastygram :evil: very soon from <sub>lawyers</sub> at either Helm or Honda or both.

Regards,

Maugham¿

#11 ·
I always end up buying the manual - it is not that convienient to bring a laptop under the car!

Anyway - there are almost all manuals on-line for those that wont buy it or just need something looked up really quick and don't need to buy the whole manual.

Not much different then going to the library and checking out one of the hundreds of shop manuals they have a copying a page or 2 - IMO.

#12 ·
matteni said:
I always end up buying the manual - it is not that convienient to bring a laptop under the car!

Anyway - there are almost all manuals on-line for those that wont buy it or just need something looked up really quick and don't need to buy the whole manual.

Not much different then going to the library and checking out one of the hundreds of shop manuals they have a copying a page or 2 - IMO.
I didn't realize that proprietary shop manuals were available online. Can you provide a link to one so I could take a look?

It seems like a large difference between copying one or two pages at a library for your own use at home versus copying the entire manual and putting it online for anyone in the world to use.

IMHO, that's the same thing as checking out a video, music CD, computer game, or software program at the library and posting a digitized copy on the web - the lawyers for the owners of the copyrights have been winning those suits, Napster and KaZaa notwithstanding.

Legally speaking, if the people who put it online don't have the permission of the owners, it's stealing, even though a lot of people do it.

Regards,

Maugham¿

#13 · (Edited)
:dizzy: Wow - chill out

For years I have been buying manuals but still like it when someone copies me a page or two so I don't have to hunt it down.

I have even bought from dealers who regularly copy a page or two for a particular job.

Not to mention all the times people have sent a page or two for a job to on-line friends - etc.

They sell MORE manuals as people realize how valuable they are. My local newspaper (like most) is on-line - yet people still buy the paper. That's because paper is portable, easy to read, and much more convienient.

If you want to go on a copyright crusade - have at it. I'll be damned if I am going to send you any information so that you can go and hunt down a bunch of people and get them in trouble.

As for me - it's Friday, the work day is done, and I have an Ody full of kids waiting to go to dinner.

Have a safe and relaxing weekend...

Now - wasn't this thread about steering or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.