Transmission buzz?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission buzz?

Transmission buzz?

I searched around for this problem but the closest topic was from around 2002 and am not sure if it's related.

We have a 2007 EX with approximately 44K-45K miles. What we are experiencing is a momentary "buzz" in what we think is in the transmission. We can replicate it while driving on a level grade between 40-45 mph. The "buzz" can be heard when you apply a little gas, as if you were intendidng to accelerate a bit. Doesn't happen all the time, but at least 3-4 times in a 5 mile trip. I don't think it's as if the transmission is going from 4th to 3rd. It's more like a slip before while the transmission causes the acceleration.
    My wife describes it as a grind, but I describe it as a low buzz or growl. This was first noticed about 1K miles ago.
    Is this a sign of things to come?
    Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thanks for the info. I'm having the software update done end of this week. From info I've googled about torque converters problems (in general), I'll plan on having that on the schedule if the update does not solve the problem.

Well, the software update was done. They also tightened up all splash guards/heat shields. As soon as I drove from the dealership, I experienced to what I believe is the actual "judder" that this update was supposed to minimize. Never felt it before. The front end does this shake as if I were driving slowly over a rumble strip. I was able to recreate the judder 5 time since yesterday, it happens when the transmission shift from 1st to 2nd steadily accelerating in thru the 25-35 mph range. The buzz I described earlier is also still present. That seems worse too.
    Before I left the dealership, I discussed with the technician the possible need to address the torque converter. They stated that a call had to be initiated by me to Honda tech support(??). I'm waiting for the technician to answer my inquiry.
    Last edited by kjprrt; 12-04-2009 at 08:50 AM.

They lied. They (the stealership) are the ones who initiate the calls to Honda's Tech line. Infact, Honda's tech line does NOT talk to customers.

Also, there's a big judder thread and yes you now need a new torque converter. Please post in that thread as now you are a part of the judder issue which likely when corrected with a new TC will cure your buzz too.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

The dealership did make the call!
    New torque converter was ordered and should be in early next week.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements