Condensation in head light
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condensation in head light

Condensation in head light

I have condensation in my right head light causing premature lamp failure. Is there a cheap way to repair the seal so I do not have to purchase a new assembly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

What year is your Ody?

Moisture inside the assembly can come from either a water leak, or a plugged vent. You need to figure out which is the case.

One other option I have used on older cars over the years is to drill a small (approx 1/8" diameter) drain/vent hole somewhere along the lower corner of the lens. This is a last resort however.
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

Thanks for the reply. I have a '03 and I will look for either issue. If I have a water leak wouldn't I have something noticeably broken?

I can't find them anymore, but some companies used to sell repair kits. It required the following:

1. You remove the headlamp assembly, pull out the bulb, then put the assembly into the oven, gently heat it up. Don't go crazy with the heat and melt it.
    2. Pull the halves apart (back half holds the bulb and attachment points, front half is the transparency).
    3. Put fresh sealant on the back half, warm it all up.
    4. Join the warm halves together.
    5. Let it cool.
    6. Re-install.

I remember seeing these kits only a couple years ago, but it appears they are no longer on the market. One of your local body shop guys might still have an old kit in a back room, that's really all I can think of regarding repair options.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Here's a post from the '95-'98 forum for DIY clear corner conversion, should work the same for the headlight. Of course, steps 4-6 don't apply since it's about modifying the corner lamp! And you need to do what's appropriate in step 1 to remove your headlight.
    Originally posted by Ka24deturbo
    I wish I had some pictures but this is simple. If you know how to take the OEM corner light off then you can do this. I'd have pictures but I don't have my digital camera.

Tools needed: Phillips Screw Driver, Flat head Screw Driver, Oven, & Oven gloves.

Step 1. Remove OEM corner light by removing the only visible screw that connects the corner light to the chassis. (You might have to pull a little hard to get it off.)

Step 2. Twist and remove the bulb from the assembly. You should now be holding the corner lamp in your hands.

Step 3. Put one corner lamp face up on a baking sheet and set the oven to 300 degrees. Let it sit in there for about 5 mins. Watch it the whole time because oven settings are all different. This will allow the silicone lining to soften.

Step 4. Remove from over and begin carefully prying it open. This shouldn't take more than a few seconds but be careful.

Step 5. Using a flat head screw driver remove the side reflector (See Image). Should easily come off.

Step 6. Using a phillips screw driver remove the screw that attaches the amber bulb cover (See Image).

Step 7 Put gray half back into over for 3 mins or so to soften the silicone lining again and when you remove it quickly put both pieces back together.

Step 8. Reinstall

This is the method I used to clear out my corner lights and I haven't had a problem for the past 4 years since I've done this but Follow these instructions at your own risk
    After reassembly, you might want to consider applying clear silicon around the joint, since we don't know if that was the original point of entry for the water. Good luck!
    1996 Sebring Silver Isuzu Oasis LS 270,000m
    clear corner lights, vent visors, jdm grill and rear spoiler, white taillights, Civic glass moonroof
    LED turn/brake/interior/gauge lights, modified hazard relay
    Previous rides:
    70 Super Beetle (used)
    80 Gold Accord LX (also 1st gen!)
    86 Mazda 626

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements