Check engine light- code P1457
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check engine light- code P1457

Exclamation Check engine light- code P1457

Just got my '00 EX with 23K miles serviced today for a check engine light. Thought for sure it was the EGR problem. Code they found was P1457. Service replaced an Evaporative Bypass Control Solenoid and an Evaporative Emission Two-way Valve. Said they found fuel in the solenoid and wanted to know if I over filled my fuel tank. I never over fill and typically stop at the click unless the gas price at Costco seems to be much lower than everywhere else than I might bump it once after the first click but gas never spills out of the filler. Not sure how fuel got in the solenoid but surprised that it is so sensitive. Guess I'll have to stop trying to cram a little more in even if the gas price is low. Anyone else had this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

02-RRP-EX
    No problems here (even with the occassional over-fill ).

In 1996 the government mandated a law that wanted auto manufacturers to build "greener", cleaner cars.. one part of that process was to contain/store/re-burn gasoline fumes within your fuel tank so that they do not release hazardous fumes into our atmosphere...

What the code P1456,P1457 means is that your car leaking or losing fuel tank vacuum when the ECU (computer of the car) is doing a self test on the evaporative emissions system.. that vacuum is the same "hissing" noise you hear when you unscrew the fuel cap to fill up the tank.. atmospheric pressure is lower inside the tank than the "outside" atmosphere, thus sucking outside air into the tank to prevent fumes from leaking out..

Does this mean it will damage the motor? affect driveability? leave you stranded?... simply no..

They ask if you overfilled the tank simply because one of the "evap" valves is located ontop the fuel tank.. If fuel entered the valve(s) then it is possible raw fuel could "constrict" proper air flow setting the codes mentioned.. Does this usually happen when topping off the fuel tank? no...it is not common, but it does happen...

Some of you researching the P1456/P1457 may have been asked if you have checked the fuel cap to make sure it is tight.. well,now you should know why they ask this!

My 1st post.. woo-hoo! , hello everyone

BreakStuff
    Last edited by BreakStuff; 09-11-2002 at 12:56 AM.

Is the 2k Ody equipped with OBD II?

Otherwise, how can I get the codes and their meaning.

02-RRP-EX
    Originally posted by Eloh-a
    Is the 2k Ody equipped with OBD II?

Otherwise, how can I get the codes and their meaning.
    Yes. All cars built since January 1, 1996 have what is identified as OBD-II.

Arrow

Check this site out - sorry it's in German but just try the translations tools that are available online...

http://www.obd-2.de/index.html

See ya
    Chris
    2001 Odyssey EX in Emerald Green
    www.odyclub.de

Hey. Joined this forum cause I had the same problem; how much did it cost you for those replacement parts, and do you think it could be a do it your self job?

You do know that the main reason folks get this code is because their fuel cap is not tight right? At least three clicks. Gets everyone once when they first get the van. Posting your year and mileage when asking technical questions will help us give you better answers.

My apologies; I am so used to my board that I forgot to post that info.

It's a 2000 Odyssey EX. It has 43,xxx miles on it. The light came on while driving on the high way; it wasn't like it came on after filling up.

One thing I noticed, I opened the gas tank up yesterday and there was minimal pressure, but there was some pressure.

Any help would make my life so much easier. Otherwise I'm gonna have to take it to Honda.

Originally posted by egads
    You do know that the main reason folks get this code is because their fuel cap is not tight right? At least three clicks.
    Yeah, I did know that. THanks though. I tightened the cap and it's still on. I'm also thinking it might be the gas cap; the rubber doesn't look like it's in tip top shape.

Are you sure it's a P1456/7 code? If you haven't had the codes pulled yet bring it to AutoZone and they will read them for free and even give you a small printout with a brief description if you ask them

Edit:I'm pretty sure that like most OBDII cars, it takes 3 "Drive Cycles" with no problems to shut the light off. Maybe someone with a manual can tell us if it's different than that. That can take over a week to do if you don't drive much at varying speeds.
    Last edited by jpit; 10-19-2004 at 04:51 PM.
    2000 EX 165k miles. Hayden 404 tranny cooler with original tranny and fingers crossed....

Had the code pulled; that's the code P1457.

I'm hoping it's just the gas cap.

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements