How to turn on/off alarm?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to turn on/off alarm?

Question How to turn on/off alarm?

I've always suspected that my Odyssey EX has an alarm system, but I could never find mention of it in the owner's manual. This last weekend, my son was sitting in my lap while my wife was in the store, and he managed to push the button to turn on the alarm. When my wife tried to get back in, the horn started honking and the headlights flashed. What did he do to turn the alarm on, and what should we do to turn it off besides pushing every button in sight?

Thanks!
    2002 SS EX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

02-RRP-EX
    I just use the remote to arm/disarm.

Your son probably set the alarm using the remote (by locking the doors).

In addition to pressing the lock button on the remote, the alarm will also set if, when getting out of the car, the driver's door lock button is pushed down and the door is then shut. Look for a little red light on the dashboard just below the speedometer. When it is blinking the alarm is set.

How to turn the alarm off when the horn is honking, etc.? Press the unlock button on the remote.
    Current Hondas: 2010 Odyssey Touring, Polished Metal Metallic;2005 CR-V EX-SE, Pewter Pearl
    Previous Hondas: 2001 Odyssey EX-NAVI, Starlight Silver; 1997 Accord EX-L Forest Green; 1992 Accord EX, White; 1982 Accord DX hatchback, Silver
    Hobby: geocaching

This is not a Honda story, but, just as funny. Friends of ours got an new Audi A6 and the husband, a radiologist, got a call from the hospital. He jumped into the new ride and got to the hospital as fast as he could and when he got out of the car, he hit something, probably a panic button, on the remote and all the "bells and whistles" went off. He was needed inside right away and it took him quite a while get the whole thing stopped. Meanwhile, he was the laughingstock of the parking lot, and not real popular in such a "quiet" zone.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. More to come......

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

On my husband's Dodge truck, I left the keys in it w/radio on for kids while pumping gas, and window rolled down--but I locked the door.

To get back in, I just lifted the lock from inside the door. WRONG THING TO DO. The alarm started going off, and I couldn't figure out what to do. Starting the car didn't help. Pressing the remote unlock button didn't work. I was ready to start reading the manual (while everyone at the gas station was probably laughing their a$$ off), then I got a brainstorm--take the key out of the ignition and open the car door with the key itself--and that worked and shut the alarm off.

I never made that mistake again!

Another alarm system story:
    My old 1992 Honda Accord had an aftermarket alarm system that would set itself. It would automatically lock the doors and arm itself 30 seconds after the door was shut. Shortly after I first got the car I was at a gas station and left the keys in the ignition, as I often did with my previous car. Just after I started pumping gas I hear the thunk of the doors all locking! Of course the windows were all up.

Fortunately I wasn't far from my office where I had a spare key in my desk. I just had to leave my car at the gas pump while I walked back to my office for the key. I wonder if the current owner of that car has ever locked herself out that same way.

I hate alarms on cars. The engine immobilizer is nice though.

Can anyone tell me of an instance where they even stopped to look around when a car alarm went off? Has a car alarm ever stopped a thief?

When my wife tried to get back in, the horn started honking and the headlights flashed
    Honda factory/dealer installed alarm systems do not flash headlights when activated..

Do you have a 3rd party alarm system installed?
    I'm not really a Honda Tech... I just play one on this forum..

Originally posted by rlpenny
    I hate alarms on cars. The engine immobilizer is nice though.

Can anyone tell me of an instance where they even stopped to look around when a car alarm went off? Has a car alarm ever stopped a thief?
    Alarm is good as an addition to the immobilizer. I know some people who have had cars broken into while the car was parked in the driveway/carport. Immoblizer meant the thief didn't take the car, just stripped it and beat the heck out of the exterior. Audible alarm would possibly have alerted the owner.
    I favor the VERY loud siren(like the one at my house). Even if noone else pays attention, the would be thief may fear going deaf and leave
    2003 EX-L Sandstone
    2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 40th Anniversary Edition
    1987 Buick Grand National, all original(including owner), great ride

Originally posted by BreakStuff
    Honda factory/dealer installed alarm systems do not flash headlights when activated..

Yes, the headlight hi-beams did flash, and no, I do not have a 3rd party alarm system. My Ody is a stock EX. I wish Honda would have documented the alarm in the owner's manual. Oh well, I guess the mystery adds character to my Ody.
    2002 SS EX

Not quite the same, but, one day a woman locked the keys in her car, while "just running into the store for a minute". You guessed it, she left the little boy inside and then, of course, couldn't get him out, since he was too small to understand how to open the door, and began a meltdown which continued for around 35-40 minutes, while we waited for the father to bring a set of keys, since they did not want us to break a window and no one had a means to defeat the locks. YOU SHOULDA SEEN THE SNOT ON THOSE WINDOWS! I really felt sorry for that traumatized little fella and I wished they had locked the woman in some close place until she cried her eyes out. That was many years ago and there would be much more serious consequenses these days, but, even now, there are airheads who leave the kids "just for a minute". Bad behavior!

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. More to come......

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Originally posted by BreakStuff

My wife just got in our Odyssey in the garage. Next thing I know the horn is blaring. I go out there thinking she had hit the panic button by mistake. She tried to hit it again but it did not help. The horn eventually went off but when she opened the door again it went off again. She started to read the owners manual and figured out that she needed to press the unlock button on the keyless entry to stop it. I guess she must have hit the lock button on the remote by accident. Anyway, I can second the fact that the lights were also flashing in addition to the horn.

Originally posted by cardsfan
    My wife just got in our Odyssey in the garage. Next thing I know the horn is blaring. I go out there thinking she had hit the panic button by mistake. She tried to hit it again but it did not help. The horn eventually went off but when she opened the door again it went off again. She started to read the owners manual and figured out that she needed to press the unlock button on the keyless entry to stop it. I guess she must have hit the lock button on the remote by accident. Anyway, I can second the fact that the lights were also flashing in addition to the horn.
    This is one of the things that annoys me about my Ody (even if it is my fault!).

More than once, I have gone out to my garage to get something from the van and found the doors locked by whomever used it last. I usually leave the windows down in the garage, so I instinctively reach into the van to unlock the door. D'Oh!

This of course happens when the baby is sleeping upstairs and I've left my keys in the house.

Hrdina
    2003 EXL-RES Midnight Blue Pearl - ARRIVED 20 Feb 2003
    Deflector, Wheel Locks, Mud Flaps, Cargo Tray, WeatherTech Mats

A theoretical question...

About a year ago while in bed at 1:00am, I could hear someone's car alarm sounding in their driveway (possibly due to a short or fault in the alarm system). I guess they reset it, however the alarm kept going off at 20 minute intervals. It was not until 2:30am before it stopped completely. I guess the owner finally drove it somewhere, since I heard a car start and drive away after the last alarm.

This made me wonder, what is the best method to disable the alarm on an Odyssey in that type of situation? I guess the doors could be left unlocked, however that would be risking theft. Is there another solution other than disconnecting the battery (which I assume would reset the ECU and lock the radio)?

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements