Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Nav Startup Screen Hack

53K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  ALpHaMoNk 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any 'recent' or updated info on changing the NAV startup screen image or the likes? Most items (acura related) and from when this poped up, is way old - Anyone with an 05/06 Odyssey done this lately or have info on it?

Thanks

#3 ·
vstk2 said:
Does anyone have any 'recent' or updated info on changing the NAV startup screen image or the likes? Most items (acura related) and from when this poped up, is way old - Anyone with an 05/06 Odyssey done this lately or have info on it?

Thanks
Bump - or a reference to exact info that'll work for 4.13c an 06 ody?

#4 ·
vstk2 said:

Thanks
I just did this today infact!

I will be posting a detailed page with how to on my site sometime this next week.

I have an '05... I followed the Acura directions floating around but it was different file names, slightly different screen steps, and the image file you use is in a different format then what they were saying to use.

Here is a photo: http://img.errorik.com/2006/06/02/Honda-Odyssey-NavHack-01.jpg

I will post a URL to the how to in this thread when it's ready.

#12 ·
#13 ·
sejong said:
For an 06 Ody with Navi DVD version 4.31:

The file you need to modify is 05Touch2.bin. Not 06Touch2.bin.

The startup screen bitmap file you want to replace is Opening1.bmp. Not back.bmp.

hcvt.exe converts a 480x234x24-bit bitmap to a 16-bit bitmap of the required 224,712 bytes. Available as hcvt.zip from http://stevemg.sc30.info/hcvt/
My problem was burning the media. I could never get it to recognize a cd/dvd/dvd-dl with just the original files. Any updates?

#14 · (Edited)
sejong said:
For an 06 Ody with Navi DVD version 4.31:

The file you need to modify is 05Touch2.bin. Not 06Touch2.bin.

The startup screen bitmap file you want to replace is Opening1.bmp. Not back.bmp.

hcvt.exe converts a 480x234x24-bit bitmap to a 16-bit bitmap of the required 224,712 bytes. Available as hcvt.zip from http://stevemg.sc30.info/hcvt/
OK, so I'm attempting this on my own, following the steps on the Acura thread but using the file names you've provided.

I've encountered two problems:

1. hcvt converts the file to a format that dumpnavi will not accept. So I converted it to the specs in the Acura thread 8-bit, 173 colours, etc., but then....

2. ...dumpnavi crashes on my computer when I try to extract the files. This is using both the command line and gui versions.

I think that second problem is going to be a killer for me, unless there is some other version of dumpnavi that will work on my computer. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm not hopeful.

My navi came with two map DVDs. Does it matter which one you get the bin files from?

#16 ·
sejong said:
Instead of dumpnavi.exe, try using cebin.exe (available from http://home.earthlink.net/~akonshin/files/cebin.zip), and use hcvt.exe to convert your 24-bit BMP to 16-bit. Make sure the filesize of your 16-bit BMP is 224,712 bytes.

If the BIN files are the same on both DVD's, I don't think it matters; if not, use the DVD that has 05Touch2.BIN.
Thank you! That helps. I used cebin to replace Opening1.bmp and the image file size created by hcvt.exe was exactly the same.

My problem now is the same as plee's: the nav system won't read the disc.

I've tried a DVD burned with Nero. I've tried a TDK CD-R burned with Nero. I've tried using Nero to make an ISO image and burned it to the CD-R using PowerISO and I get the same result:

After pressing the "download" button on the screen, the nav tries to read the disc, but after about 30 seconds, a screen that says "Please check your disc" comes on and the system is frozen. When it is repowered, everything is back to the way it was.

At least I'm one step closer than I was :).

#17 ·
Stargazer said:
Thank you! That helps. I used cebin to replace Opening1.bmp and the image file size created by hcvt.exe was exactly the same.

My problem now is the same as plee's: the nav system won't read the disc.

I've tried a DVD burned with Nero. I've tried a TDK CD-R burned with Nero. I've tried using Nero to make an ISO image and burned it to the CD-R using PowerISO and I get the same result:

After pressing the "download" button on the screen, the nav tries to read the disc, but after about 30 seconds, a screen that says "Please check your disc" comes on and the system is frozen. When it is repowered, everything is back to the way it was.

At least I'm one step closer than I was :).
Atleast I'm not alone now ;)

I've tried different media, cd-r/dvd-r/dvd+r dl nothing.

#18 ·
I don't think media is the problem. I used CD -R media, and it worked fine. I had the exact same "Please check your disk" message until I got all the files right. In addition to the modified 05Touch2.BIN, you need to burn copies of the following files to your CD -R. All these files are on the original Navi white DVD.

A0000_00.MNG
DCA0.REG
PRG_INFO.MNG
UPDATE_APL.exe
05Touch.BIN
06Touch.BIN
06Touch2.BIN

I'm not sure that the last 3 BIN files are needed, but that's what I used.

If that doesn't work, you could try using 06Touch2.BIN as the BIN that you modify to replace Opening1.BMP.

#19 ·
Ah, that makes sense. I was just burning the 9 bin files back to disk. I'll look for those other files tonight and give it a try.

Thanks!

#20 · (Edited)
Success!!! :rockon:

Thanks so much to sejong for walking me through this. I couldn't have done this without your help :bow: .

I'll try to summarize the steps I took and post them up.

#21 · (Edited)
Nag Text change

OK. I'm attempting to do Hack #2 by simply changing the text on the Nag Screen.

I couldn't find the "navi.exe" file that's referred to in the Acura threads, but this is what I've done so far:

1. I used cebin to extract the files and modules from VRDB.BIN

Actually, I don't know how it worked the first time, because subsequent attempts no longer work. More on that later.

2. I used a hex editor to open HMIManager.dll and found the text from the Nag screen.

3. I replaced the text with my own using the exact same number of characters and saved.

Now this is where I encounter the problem.

If I use cebin to try to replace /update the HMIManager.dll file, I get an error message that says:

"The image file (VRDB.BIN) does not start with reading signature."

I've tried both dumpnavi and bysin and both give me this error message:

"Invalid XIP file"

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Plus, now if I try to start from the beginning by extracting the files from VRBD.BIN, I get the same error messages. I don't know how I was able to extract the files in the first place.

Any ideas?

#22 ·
Stargazer said:
Success!!! :rockon:

Thanks so much to sejong for walking me through this. I couldn't have done this without your help :bow: .

I'll try to summarize the steps I took and post them up.
That is an excellent screen hack. Any chance you can consolidate the steps you took to get there and put it into this (or perhaps a sticky) thread?

I've been tempted to update the startup screen.

RobL

#23 · (Edited)
OK, I'll give it a shot, but make sure you go over what sejong posted above.

I've been reading a lot over at Acurazine and adapting it to the Odyssey. They've got a new thread that consolidates the information including links to the software required. Take a look at this first and use it to download the software you need and create the splash screen you want:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145426

Software that I used:
  • * HVCT to convert the image to the proper format.
    * CEbin - because dumpnavi didn't work for me. There is an "Improved DumpNavi" on that page that may work, too, and may be easier to use to update the .bin file.
    * A program to burn files to a CD.

Here are the Odyssey specific things I had to do (note--as far as I know all files are case-sensitive):

1. 1. Copy 9 bin files from the Navigation DVD (v4.31C) to the harddrive on your computer. Only one needs to be modified, but I copied them all anyway.

2. Copy these four additional files as well:

A0000_00.MNG
    DCA0.REG
    PRG_INFO.MNG
    UPDATE_APL.exe
    3. Create the image using the specs required. Save it as a 24-bit bmp and convert it with HCVT. Rename this file as Opening1.bmp.

4. To operate CEbin I created a replace.bat file using Notepad with the following text:

image 05Touch2.bin
    verbose on
    replacefile Opening1.bmp Opening1.bmp
    savetofile 05Touch2.new
    5. Then using the command prompt, I typed this command: cebin replace.bat What that does is update the 05Touch2.bin with the new splash screen file called Opening1.bmp

6. There should be a new file called 05Touch2.new with the updated splash screen. Rename this file to 05Touch2.bin (get rid of the original one first).

7. Use a CD burning program to copy the updated .bin file and all the other .bin files as well as the other 4 files onto a CD. Like I said before, you might not need all of the bin's, but that's what I did.

Once the CD is finished, you can take it out to the van. There may be shortcuts to the following steps, but this is the exact procedure that I followed:

8. Put the key in and start up the nav system. You don't have to have your engine running, but you can start it if you're paranoid about killing the battery.

9. When the nag screen comes on, press the MAP/Guide + Cancel + Menu buttons at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds. You'll hear a beep and see this screen:

10. Press "Version" and you'll see this screen:

11. Open the door to the Nav drive and eject the disc.

12. Put the burned CD into the drive. LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN and the system will attempt to read it. I waited until I got this screen:

13. Press the MAP/Guide + Cancel + Menu buttons at the same time again to go back to the Diagnosis screen again. Press Version again.

14. Now press Download. You'll see this screen first:

And you'll see this screen if the system is successful in recognizing your disc:

15. It takes about a minute or two for the progress bar to finish. Once that's done, the system will reset and you should see your new splash screen. After a little while, I got the same error message I got before about the door being open.

16. Take out the burned CD and put back the original Nav disc.

17. Enjoy your new splash screen :).
    [/list=1]

Now that was me trying to remember everything I did. I'm assuming basic understanding of creating a .bat file with notepad and knowing how to get to the command prompt. Let me know if something's not clear.

#24 ·
Re: Nag Text change

Stargazer said:
OK. I'm attempting to do Hack #2 by simply changing the text on the Nag Screen.

I couldn't find the "navi.exe" file that's referred to in the Acura threads, but this is what I've done so far:

1. I used cebin to extract the files and modules from VRDB.BIN

Actually, I don't know how it worked the first time, because subsequent attempts no longer work. More on that later.

2. I used a hex editor to open HMIManager.dll and found the text from the Nag screen.

3. I replaced the text with my own using the exact same number of characters and saved.

Now this is where I encounter the problem.

If I use cebin to try to replace /update the HMIManager.dll file, I get an error message that says:

"The image file (VRDB.BIN) does not start with reading signature."

I've tried both dumpnavi and bysin and both give me this error message:

"Invalid XIP file"

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Plus, now if I try to start from the beginning by extracting the files from VRBD.BIN, I get the same error messages. I don't know how I was able to extract the files in the first place.

Any ideas?
Try without making changes to see if you can re-create the bin. If that works, there maybe a signature value on the dll to prevent any changes to the dll? Probably should do some reading on Windows CE programming and see if there is such a thing no their .dll's, etc...

#25 ·
Re: Re: Nag Text change

plee said:
Try without making changes to see if you can re-create the bin. If that works, there maybe a signature value on the dll to prevent any changes to the dll? Probably should do some reading on Windows CE programming and see if there is such a thing no their .dll's, etc...
I thought it might be that so I tried to start from the beginning again. I recopied the original file from the nav disc but now I can't even extract it.

I'll reboot my computer and try again tonight.

BTW, have you re-tried getting the system to read your disc?

#26 ·
Stargazer, how long was the wait on step 12?

I can't seem to get the system to recognize my burned cd and I've put all the files on there. All 9 bin files, the 4 others you mentioned. Am I missing a file?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.