Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Power Steering Pump

177K views 330 replies 139 participants last post by  dbosch 
#1 ·
The Power Steering pump on the ody seems to be toast. Recently, the dreaded whining noise has appeared once the van is warmed up.

Here is the kick in the pants...While the Ody is only 2.5 years old, I have 39,250 miles, thus out of warranty. The TSB states that units out of warranty might be eligable for a goodwill fix. Am I right to expect honda to pickup the whole tab on this one??

#2 ·
Service managers have tremendous power to get "goodwill" repairs made. Sometimes you might have to cover some of the cost, but it usually comes down to the service manager/regional manager making the call. That's why it's important to play nice!

Technically, they're not responsible for it because you're out of warranty. Most TSB's are just notes telling the mechanics about potential problems, they're not recalls or special warranty items in most cases. You do have a better argument if they resist performing the work under warranty and it doesn't hurt to push them a bit if they turn you down.

#3 ·
similar symtom here

I just had 500 mile one way trip to over the Thanksgiving Holiday. On the way back pulling into the driveway i too noticed the loud whining noise. However, now it doesn't make any noise and runs fine.

My Ody only has 28,000 miles so if the pump is bad it will be covered.

#4 ·
under warranty

should be covered under your 3/36k warranty.

problem with the goodwill repair is that with this PS problem that seems to be ongoing, you may get a 'free' replacement for now, but in another 10k miles or so, it may be a problem again. I had my replaced at 11k and now at 22k, it seems like my PS is in need of replacement again!! :mad:

#6 ·
good luck

good luck on the new PS pump. i hope you have plans on selling the ody before you hit another 10k. I plan on dumping this van once my warranty runs out since it is ridiculous that the pump goes out about every 10k. I'm about to get my second one soon since it's starting to make the noise again.

#310 ·
good luck on the new PS pump. i hope you have plans on selling the ody before you hit another 10k. I plan on dumping this van once my warranty runs out since it is ridiculous that the pump goes out about every 10k. I'm about to get my second one soon since it's starting to make the noise again.
You should go back a couple threads and read about the number of people with 100k, 200k and even 300k on their vans.

#8 ·
Can you say, HondaCare?

Sure....I knew you could!

#10 ·
I actually had this same issue a month back when it started getting colder outside and I started driving the van to work. I thought it was odd that it only happened on the last 10 minutes of a 30 min drive. I checked the PS fluid and it was a little over the low line so I didn't think that was it. It whines when I get home but when I get up for work its fine. When I get to work its fine also.

Come to find the PS was okay. There is a really fast off-ramp that turns into a medium to hard right without stopping. I blast through the turn everytime I'm alone at about 65-70, just fast enough to hear the tires squeal for dear life. My theory is that because my fluid was just low enough (though above the low line) the centrifugal force and lean of the van caused air to get into the system. After it sat for a while it bled out and returned to normal.

Atleast that is what I think happened. I filled the res and not a peep from the PS even though the tires are screamin bloody mary.

#12 ·
Just had mine replaced at 42k miles. Pump started making noise intermittently the week before I took it in, and of course, wasn't making the noise when I actually got the van in to the dealer. But, they took my word that it was getting noisy, made the call to "Honda central", and wound up with Honda picking up the parts and me paying just the $90 labor bill. Having the TSB in hand was good for "negociating" with the dealer (as was being "nice"), and making sure all items to be replaced actually were. All in all, seemed fair (but a bit disappointing at the same time as our Accord had been absolutely 100% trouble free for 100k+ miles).

#13 ·
The power steering issue is a known problem... Recall worthy? Nope.

As for the warranty situation.... Remember the 05's has a 3/36 bumper to bumper.... The 06 and up have the 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/60 on the powertrain. Power steering pump is ON the powertrain. So is it really goodwill on those 06's with over 36,000??? Maybe not. If they ask you to pay??? Remind them of the Honda factory warranties.

Tom

#14 ·
I've never seen a ps pump covered as a powertrain item. Powertrain is engine, tranny, axles....things that don't go bad in a measly 60k miles anyway. These powertrain warranties are marketing objects....even the 100k miles ones unless you're a fleet buyer. Lifetime powertrain has potential though....

#16 ·
Trsnrtr said:
My '05 Ody has 60,500 miles on it and is going in tomorrow to have the PS pump replaced. The dealer is picking up the parts and I'm paying for labor.
Would you mind naming the dealer. I recently purchased a used 05 Odyssey which is now out of warranty and it would be useful to know the service department in case my Odyssey develops this problem.

#17 ·
zsundevil said:
Would you mind naming the dealer. I recently purchased a used 05 Odyssey which is now out of warranty and it would be useful to know the service department in case my Odyssey develops this problem.
Sure, it's Bob Lindsay in Peoria, IL. I went in to pick the van up yesterday after the repair and they said that the labor was being picked up, also. It didn't cost me a thing. :)

#18 ·
My van is at the Honda dealer now. Apparently, other 05 + Odys came in to have this problem fixed. I'm going to get the PS pump replaced for free! It normally costs about $400. I'm also getting the AC control replaced. It's another recall issue way back when and I never knew about it. The rear brake pads are getting replaced w/coupon $99 and I was told the battery was week and I'm having that replaced at $109.95. My van has 52000+ miles on it, so I guess things like brakes and batteries need to be replaced.

I'm glad that's all taken care of. :)

#19 ·
I just got back from a weekend trip (200 miles each way) and upon my arrival after the first 200 miles, I noticed a pretty noisey whine when turning into our destination parking lot and parking space.

After that, it seemed to be fine. Thought I noticed it a bit upon return, but I think it was more of the normal PS noise.

I'll keep my ears open. I've only got about 1,600 miles on my 07 EX, so it's all covered anyway.

If I do need to bring mine in, I'll probably bring in the TSB just to make sure it gets done right. :)

-jeff

#20 ·
We had the PS pump replaced last week (18,000 miles), and the 2200RPM drone TSB was taken care of as well. They had the car for four days because the parts weren't available, causing us major issues with transportation and hassle.

We got the van back, and now it's leaking oil...so it will have to go back in again. Nice job, guys. :mad:

#21 ·
ScottyDont said:
We had the PS pump replaced last week (18,000 miles), and the 2200RPM drone TSB was taken care of as well. They had the car for four days because the parts weren't available, causing us major issues with transportation and hassle.

We got the van back, and now it's leaking oil...so it will have to go back in again. Nice job, guys. :mad:
I had the PS pump replaced last week at 26,300. They had to order parts which were in backorder for the "drone". There must be a lot of "drone" repairs going on............

#22 ·
Just got a 75% paid by goodwill from dealer for the PS pump at 40,400 miles. I was happ y enough with that. The whine noise was getting worse. We've been friendly with all the service people so it makes a difference when out of warranty.

#23 ·
I was able to get mine repaired

I was just over the mileage but under the time frame as outlined in the warranty. I called Honda of America and they gave me a case number. Once the power steering pump whined my wife took it to the dealer and they fixed it the next day....on honda's tab.

#25 ·
My biggest issue is I am going to have to catch when my PS pump is whining like crazy and go straight to the dealer. Last time I was there it decided not to do it ... but I know for a fact it is doing it because once it starts it just gets louder and louder!

Honda is really testing my patience with their quality of late on the Odysseys (this is our 4th one) :(

#26 ·
ScottyDont said:

As I type, my '06 is in, having front wheel bearings work & PS pump (he called it resevoir?), but they have given me a rental for TSB work each time (it's taking two days to order parts). Isn't a rental normal for warranty work or am I just lucky?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.