Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Tailgate Gas Strut Problems

110K views 175 replies 112 participants last post by  surgeon 
#1 ·
Has anyone had problems with their gas struts that support the tailgate? Our 2005 was purchased in December, 2004 and has 37,600 miles. It just had a total failure of the gas struts. They worked fine last Friday but failed completely on Saturday.

We have the car at the dealership today to have the struts replaced. They service manager just called to inform us that the zone rep had authorized the cost of parts if we pay the labor to install the two struts. The estimate for labor is $80. Since my wife can't possibly lift the tailgate and put groceries or anything else in the van we told them to proceed with the repair. We are greatly disappointed that a Honda product would fail this quickly and Honda would not stand behind both the labor and parts to fix the vehicle.

We have called the 1-800 Honda Customer Relations number and filed a protest over the labor cost. Honda will assign a case worker today and we will hear from Honda within the next three days on any compensation by Honda on the labor charges.

#2 ·
Ours failed back in May. Just as you described... worked great one day and then not at all the next. Our 2005 had just over 40K on the odo. However... we were responsible for the entire $150something bill. I was happy with that because at first I thought it was a problem with the power lift gate. I did express to the dealer that our previous van... 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan... went past 130K without the struts ever failing, and that I wasn't happy with the early Honda failure.

#4 ·
I just replaced ours- turns out just one had failed. Replaced both just the same. $80. labor is a complet rip-off. They take 2 minutes to change- I kid you not. Have them just give you the parts then and install yourself. Super easy with a small flat head screwdriver, just pry the clip up and the come right off. Prop the hatch open with a 2x4 or something. Super easy.

#5 ·
maysdens said:
Has anyone had problems with their gas struts that support the tailgate? Our 2005 was purchased in December, 2004 and has 37,600 miles. It just had a total failure of the gas struts. They worked fine last Friday but failed completely on Saturday.

We have the car at the dealership today to have the struts replaced. They service manager just called to inform us that the zone rep had authorized the cost of parts if we pay the labor to install the two struts. The estimate for labor is $80. Since my wife can't possibly lift the tailgate and put groceries or anything else in the van we told them to proceed with the repair. We are greatly disappointed that a Honda product would fail this quickly and Honda would not stand behind both the labor and parts to fix the vehicle.

We have called the 1-800 Honda Customer Relations number and filed a protest over the labor cost. Honda will assign a case worker today and we will hear from Honda within the next three days on any compensation by Honda on the labor charges.
While I agree that such early strut failure is not to be expected, YOUR VEHICLE IS OUT OF WARRANTY now. THAT is how manufacturers stand behind their products.

Honda, to their credit, is usually more than fair at goodwill repairs. Here, they did the right and IMHO you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

#7 ·
The brand markings on my EX 05 tailgate struts is Stabilus.

Stabilus is the same maker of hood and trunk struts on my 96 BMW.

Stabilus Germany is an excellent company. I am not sure if the Honda struts are made in Germany, or else where. I will check, but as mentioned, they are very easy to replace.

#8 ·
I also had my struts fail at 35,000 miles. I was told that they were inexpensive after I told them that I would have to replace them at this interval. MY 05 Ody has three pages of work orders and is a piece of junk- 02 sensor replaced at 36,500 and honda so generously paid for half. MY cost was $125. I could of and should of done it myself for $75.00. I have owned several hondas in the past and this is my last one.

#11 ·
I had one of my tailgate struts replaced in May. I had over 36,000 miles already. I think it cost about $80 too. I only had one of them replaced. The other one was alright. It looks like the 3rd generation is having a problem with it. Don't you think?

I had a 2001 Ody and leased it for 36 (+2 more months. I was waiting for 05 to come in October 2004). I never had a problem with the tailgate. I had it for 42,000 miles and not one problem.

#13 ·
Ours went at 45,000 miles. After reading the message boards here, I contacted American Honda prior to going in for service. When I got to the dealership, they were aware of Honda being contacted. Given that our warranty was up, they quoted me $85 to determine to problem and would apply that to the repair. I was not happy with this and complained to them that I had a Dodge Caravan for 10 years without a liftgate problem. Hours later, they called me to say they were going to repair the tailgate with NO CHARGE as a onetime goodwill gesture. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

#15 ·
ws46060 said:
My 2005 Touring had a failed gas strut at 40000 miles two days ago. I have an extended warranty, so I did not pursue help from Honda on this repair. The total cost was about $180, paid by the warranty company.
Just curious, who is your warranty company and what has been your experience so far with them? It sounds like it's not Honda Care.

#16 ·
my touring liftgate just failed on me...it worked in the morning...in the afternoon...it crapped out..

it lifts up, but can't hold...

the tailgate almost killed my pregnant wife..she was about to go under the tailgate to put something in..i noticed some noise..luckily i caught it as it was about to come down.....

she walked out of the way..the tailgate..just slammed down..i thought the rear window was about to shatter...

now i open it manually, it's very heavy and will not hold up in the open position.

also, i've noticed the shocks are NOT leaking..so, don't know if it's the strut or not..will be bringing to the dealer to work on..

failed at 21.5k miles. 2/2005..so it's 2.5 yrs old...

#17 ·
Just noticed all the strut failures in this thread are 05 models. Wonder if they were fixed on 06+ vans? Anyone w/ on 06+ that had their struts fail? Pretty scary for auto lift gate owners for it to open and then fall right on top of you. At least on a manual door, you can feel its heavy (hence something is wrong) before risking your life under it!!

#18 ·
I changed the passenger side tailgate strut on my '03 Pilot. It cost me about $50 from the dealer at whole sale price (Stabilus makes the struts for Honda...the box said it was made in Mexico even though it's a German company) and takes under a minute to change; just use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the retaining pins. The tailgate struts in the Odyssey is bigger than the Pilot and maybe slightly different to remove and install. But I wouldnt think it would take much longer to replace even if it had screws/bolts.

#19 ·
LuvMy06EXL said:
Just curious, who is your warranty company and what has been your experience so far with them? It sounds like it's not Honda Care.
United Autocare. I don't know much about them, but my dealer sold me the warranty when I bought the car.
The gas strut replacement was my first claim. The dealer simply said "It's covered." when I brought the van in.

#22 ·
Mine have just failed as well. I will be making a dealer appointment to see what happens. I may speak to them ahead of time. Mine is also a 2005 Touring model and they were working fine just days ago. Now magically, they don't hold the weight, no leaks or anything and there wasn't a signficant weather change or anything. I have about 20k on the dial as well. We'll see what the dealer will do for me here in PA...

I have 2 other small issues I can have them address at the same time anyway...

#23 ·
MOB4ODY said:
Just noticed all the strut failures in this thread are 05 models. Wonder if they were fixed on 06+ vans? Anyone w/ on 06+ that had their struts fail? Pretty scary for auto lift gate owners for it to open and then fall right on top of you. At least on a manual door, you can feel its heavy (hence something is wrong) before risking your life under it!!
It just happened to my 02 Odyssey. Both leaked and completely stopped working. I got the parts from AutoZone for half the price but have not got a chance to replace them yet.

#24 ·
Anyone notice if their struts failed after having their car detailed?
If they get silicone, like an Armorall, on the piston, the piston will fail. I did this to my '02 so I have first hand experience...

#25 ·
I believe mine is starting down this road. I have noticed lately that it doesn't go all the way to the top. I have to duck down a little to get under it. Off to the dealer I go. Hope its a warranty item. Otherwise, I hope they pay for the parts.. I can do this kind of thing at home.

#26 ·
I also have an 05 Odyssey and the strut failed on the beginning of a 2 week vacation. We had to always have an "extra hand" when loading and unloading the van. It took us by surprise the first time or two and easily could've knocked someone silly, so I can understand the concern the person who postd his poor wife almost got clobbered. For the person who stated "quit complaining" it's out of warranty, this is a very real safety issue. If a wheel fell of as you were driving down the highway I don't think it being out of warranty would give a consumer much peace.

Steve in Iowa
05 Touring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.