Lubricating the Sliding Door Track
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Lubricating the Sliding Door Track

Lubricating the Sliding Door Track

I just cleaned out the little pocket where the sliding door roller slides on the track (the one on the bottom). I cleaned out all the old grease and relubed the track with this special grease from the Honda dealership called Shin Etsu silicone grease. I found that when the roller begins the curved part of its travel (about 2/3 of the way closed), it makes an aweful metal to metal screeching sound. The roller just seems to push the lubricant out of the way. Should I use a heavier grease for this track? Maybe use some parrafin that you seal jars of homemade jam or jelly with? Is this the correct grease to use to lube this track? My Chilton book does not specifically talk about lubing this track. The track is actually grooved somewhat and could be replaced, but if I do that, I want to make sure I use the correct lubricant so the new track doesn't wear prematurely.

Oh, I'm working on a '99 LX.
    "Quintana...man that creep can roll..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I use white lithium on mine periodically.

I've noticed that when the grease wears off, I get the same metal-to-metal sound you mention.

Noticing you are in Florida; is it possible you have some sand in the grease? Try cleaning all the grease off, cleaning the track, and re-greasing. The grease the Honda dealer recommended sounds familiar, but white lithium has worked well for me.

I believe the Shin Etsu grease is for the rubber weatherstripping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Honda service manual calls for Multipurpose grease for the Door rail,roller moving portion and rail spring. The ShinSitsu is a silicone lubricant designed for the rubber seals. I agree with the white lithium grease or use a multiporpose chasis lubricant. The silicone won't stay under pressure...
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

White lithium in an aerosol can works nice for lubricating the sliding door wheel tracks.
    '02 Odyssey EX (Ours)
    '09 Fit (Hers)
    '03 Accord EX V6 Sedan (His)
    '05 CRV (Son #2,)
    '01 Civic (Son #3)

I've been using wheel bearing grease for three years and have never heard any metal-on-metal scraping. About twice a year I wipe the entire area clean and lay on a fresh layer of grease wherever the Helm manual says to. No problems to date.

Yep, wrong grease.

And when you clean/wipe the old stuff, you will put some dirt and grit where the roller tracks.

Opening and closing a few times after putting in the new grease should make any grinding go away as it makes a new "track".

I cleaned this "hole" last month (full of dirt, crumbs, cheerios, etc) and had some grinding for a couple of cycles of opening/closing. Back to normal now.

White lithium grease in a stick

In my 99 I used white lithium grease in stick form - it went exactly where I wanted it to go and it is the consistency of a glue stick so it stays put.

I only did this a few days ago but before I tried the stick form, I was getting that dreaded squeak when the rollers hit the curves even with spray on white lithium grease.

Bob F

Talking Your Lub Problem may not be a Lub Problem!

Hey There Guys, I'm reading all of your "metal-on-metal" sound symptoms, and I am really thinking that some of you may need to replace the "Slide Door Center Roller Assembly"...This is one of those things that Honda messed up on.. you see there are 3 wheels on the "Slider" one vertical-metal and weight bearing and 2 synthetic horizontal wheels for guiding along the track. The issue is that these horizontal synthetic roller wear out, deform, and finally fall off..leaving the metal axle they were on to scrap and make that wonderful sound you hear..

Remove that track panel and take a peek.

The part number for these are listed bellow..

Right Slide Door Center Roller Assembly: 72520-S0X-A53

Left Slide Door Center Roller Assembly: 72560-S0X-A53

Majestic Honda online part store is the best price I have personally found and I recommend. Keep in mind Honda Dealerships are competitive- Let your local dealership know about this cheaper price you've found and ask if they would price match it!

I replaced the roller assembly and also cleaned out both upper and lower tracks. Everything sounded great for a bit but now have that metal grinding sound. So while natej1822 is correct the roller may be bad, it does appear to need some lubricant. Also, Eric the Car Guy has a video that shows how to check the roller. With the door open, grab the back and pull out away from the vehicle. if it has play in it the rollers are gone. Eventually they go completely, and the door stops working.

Quote Originally Posted by Reset View Post
    Everything sounded great for a bit but now have that metal grinding sound.
    Is the grinding coming for sure from the track rollers?

I had a grinding noise from the lower roller that runs on top of the lower track. The noise started when the door was about one foot from closing, as the roller entered the curved part of the track. The roller doesn't caster, so it crabbed around the curve. The grinding came from the sideways movement of the roller on the track.

The fix was using a chassis grease. Lithium grease wasn't heavy enough.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

No, it was definitely coming from the top roller. I put some lithium grease on it yesterday and the noise is gone. I do see how the bottom roller could be a problem, though. During my overall maintenance to the door, I cleaned that out as well, as it gets a lot of junk in there.

Like others said, Shin Etsu is for rubber and door seals.

I'm sure there are there's the proper grease to use, but I just to spray lithium grease. It allows me to get into those tight places.

Will it last long? Is it heavy enough? Probably not, but that gives me an opportunity to look at the tracks, especially the bottom one, to clean out the dirt, rocks and etc. I do it maybe 2X a year, and things are moving fine.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements