Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Quote Originally Posted by parmm View Post
    You just wait til tomorrow after I get my Ody back and I will tell you. Don't want to say anything until it is back in my garage!!!
    I had to wait to cool down. The part was not in like they said it would be. Their master mechanic called me a idiot cause I have a Fumoto valve installed in place of oil drain plug. General Manager is of the opinion that my part was not required to be there, even though they said it would be. I should have to drive over a hour to get my problem diagnosed even though I know what was broken. My comment to them, "See ya - will be going elsewhere!"

Oh, I must give them credit, they gave me a loaner. My car was tore apart waiting that they part they did not have.
    Last edited by parmm; 01-30-2016 at 06:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by panerai View Post
    Starbucks coffee in the lounge and the repairs are done by certified/trained Honda technicians, as opposed to a high school drop out that has turned a wrench for 20 years.
    I'll take my thermos of folgers and a 20yr experienced wrencher over a tech and a cup of disposable coffee any day of the week.
    It's cute when people think you need training to be mechanically inclined.

I feel like it must vary by region. The dealerships in my area (Capital Region, NY) in my opinion, are very professional. They passed us for our inspection with flying colors and just made some recommendations (Considering the shape our back struts and shocks are in I can see why.) but didn't require us to do anything.
    Lot better than places like firestone, who told us about problems that were non-existent. Firestone even told us they wouldn't pass us because of our windshield wipers, then proceeded to quote us $41 for replacements, HA! One of the dealerships in my area even has a policy that the older your car, the more of a discount you get on ALL services. In my area they come through for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

In all reality, you need to go over to the "TDIClub" if you want to hear about "stealerships"!!! Those guys just love their VW "stealerships"!!! In fact, I think that they coined that word.

Oh, and I had a friend who was a "service advisor". They told him in training that if he did not "write up" the ticket to include something not covered on it that he was not doing his job. It is all about increasing the profit line!
    Last edited by parmm; 05-01-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    2011 Odyssey EX setup to tow a 2007 Thule utility trailer & 2018 Atlas Enclosed 4x6 trailer.
    2014 CRV EX AWD.
    Previous Hondas 1974 CVCC Hatchback & 2013 Fit Base.

That's why I buy Honda!

Took the 07 EX-L into the dealer the other day for a "failed Timing Belt Tensioner", the service advisor agreed with me, we had a quoted price for the service to include the Water pump(plus coolant), the Timing belt, Tensioner, and accessory belt.

The next morning, i get an email from them saying their inspection netted another 5.5K of work they could do to this 9 year 160k mi car: replace wipers, battery, battery connector, control arm bushing (but not the shocks), door rollers, etc..

I called him and asked if i was also going to get a few 'special cigars' his guy was obviously smoking!

They agreed it was just an overzealous todo list and performed the original work contrcted.

Next day, 50 miles away, the overtorqued tensioner for the accessory belt broke leaving me stranded. All it took was 1 phone call to get the tow service, my car was fixed 4 hours later.. with lots of apologies.

I wonder how well an average-strenght female would've handled the surprise of engine jolt, no-power steering, the lights show on the dash, engine shutdown, brakes, etc. If it had caused an accident, I would be glad this was a major dealer standing behind the repair!

For the other stuff, the local wrench is good enough.

Disclosure: I'm an airline pilot and have flown lots of types to-from maintenance. Failures like this are normal to me.
    Last edited by OdyDuke; 12-23-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    It's not a minivan, It's a ManlyVan!

First, let me just say, I am not anti-dealership. I went to the dealer to get the best interest rate I could get, I had just refinanced my house and consolidated all my debt. But it hadn't shown on my credit yet, I didn't want to wait for my credit to improve, as we are expecting twins any day and needed a minivan, my wife wanted a Honda. Dealerships have negotiating power and they did get me a good rate.
    However, everything else about the experience has been a nightmare. I went to a Honda dealership to get a Certified Pre-Owned Odyssey, they showed me a 2015, but it was late in the day and dark. We negotiated price based on it being CPO, and the salesman told me that because minivans in Utah are in demand that he couldn't go lower than NADA book value. I pushed a little, no budge, so I said ok if you get me the rate I want that's fine. I'm not a pushy person but now I know that you need to be. After waiting a while for the finance guy, now its actually after hours and I am tired, I get into his office. I try to tell this guy that I'm still not too sure about the price, and that I do see them at other dealerships for less, but most of those aren't CPO, which does raise the value about 1600, we are sitting at about 2600 more than another I see. he tells me that they also spend lots of money buying tires etc and cant go lower, plus he's just the finance guy and can't change the price now. My instinct was to just walk out, but I didn't, I signed. He also talked me into getting extra service contracts adding almost $4000 extra. When get out and think about it over night, I decide I bought a Honda for dependability and its CPO, so I'll cancel the extra contracts. Then I realize that I never got a CPO contract, so I paid the higher price then, paid for my own warranties on top of it. I realize this is my fault and life lessons cost money sometimes. So I went in a day or two later for some reason, and I politely told my salesman, that I wasn't happy about this, and I have noticed some small dings and damage that I should have used to negotiate the price down, I realize its my fault, and I will be buying more cars soon but my next car will be from another dealership, and they won't be getting more business from me. He says he will see about getting me my CPO contract and get back to me. I wait 8 or 9 days to allow them to finance me, they have 7 under the contract. I go back in and demand the bank info so I can go make my payment and give it to my insurance. He says I'm financed with a local credit union my rate will be good but he cant give me more info and "don't call them yet." I express again I'm not happy, I didn't get my second key, also still waiting for my middle seat, when will it be here? The finance guy seems concerned, calls the salesman over, "no problem, we will make it CPO also." They give me the CPO contract and take my car into service to get me a second key as well. I'm still feeling I overpaid but at least I can cancel my extra service contracts. While I'm waiting I call the credit union and I am financed. It's a done deal, they even got my seat from another van, I'm not happy but honestly its still better than other dealership experiences I've had. So I get an email survey asking how my experience was, I trashed them, mostly the finance guy because I felt most pressured by him, and was still upset he didn't make sure to include my CPO contract. I honestly think that they only did it when I went in at 8 days because they didn't know I was financed yet. Then I start the process of the service contract cancellations, I'm getting the run around and end up getting mad at the accounting department, did a 3way call with them and the service contract company, which is really owned by the same company, and did get things straightened out. Then the finance manager calls me and wants to talk. I go in and really he just wants to keep me in the contracts because he wants his commission, but he does point out that I trashed him, but he did his job and got me financed, sales is separate and they set pricing, but still assures me I got a good deal. I agree and apologize, then we go over the contracts and we agree to cancel all of them but the oil changes, that's just a good deal, and I tell him I'll think about the "wrap" contract and let him know within a week. He then points out that if this car has all these scratches then it probably wasn't taken very good care of and I need this extended warranty, now I feel better, NOT.
    I think about it all night, seriously couldn't sleep, and I decide that since the same company that sold me the car also owns the warranty company that I need to get a refund just to no longer support them. I call another Honda dealership and ask if they can sell me this warranty even though I didn't buy there, the guy says yes and that they also started their own warranty company because they were frustrated with the other companies. He asks what I bought, I say 2015 Odyssey, he says from a Honda dealership? I say yes, he says, that's weird I have 8 of those on my lot I can't sell because there is a stop-sell recall. I say, did they sell me a car they shouldn't have? He says, they must have fixed it, and they will get back to me on my quote......
    That night my wife finds a forum here, we see exactly what exactly the recall is and that no dealership in the country is selling them. Now I'm furious because not only did they sell it to us, but they didn't warn us about it and two weeks ago the seat flipped up and my 2yo got a cut on his chin. I called and left a message for the sales manager, that I know they shouldn't have sold me it and to call me back. This was about 7pm that night, they are open until 9, by noon the next day I still hadn't heard back. So I call again and leave a message for the General Manager to call me back.
    I have 3 brothers that are mechanics at GM dealerships, and one tells me to see if they had me sign a recall discloser agreement, I look and sure enough they did. Another brother points out that they can't sell a Certified Pre-Owned car with an open recall. I figure that they think this disclosure covers them and the I'm getting no help from the store. I don't even wait to hear back from the GM, and I call Honda, they seem very concerned and say disclosure or not they shouldn't have sold me the car, and they will make sure I get a call back. I also call the company headquarters as it is a big chain of dealerships, and let them know. They assured me they will look into it and make things right. Within an hour a sales manager from where I bought calls and lets me know that the GM is busy but he wanted to let me know that they are on it and I'll be contacted by him soon. He also informs me that they can sell the cars and its not a real safety issue if the seats are put in correctly and that they still want to make sure I'm happy enough to buy from them again. I asked him if they are selling these vans to other people, he tells me I'm the only one that he knows of. I told him they are taking this van back, and I can't imagine they can do anything to make me step foot in that store again.
    Sorry for the long post but this is where I need all your help....
    So the GM calls a couple hours later and says that he wants to make me happy and lets discuss options. I say first thing I want is for them to call every person that has bought one of these vans explain the recall and how to install the seats correctly and make it right with them as well. Otherwise I feel its my obligation to blast their name all over the internet in hopes of those people seeing it, he assures me that he has already been starting this process before getting back to me.
    So we discuss my options and one is take this van back and he will give me a brand new 2018 at cost. With the lower interest rate this would be an OK deal but I do know that he loses about 3000 just taking the van back and he can do more if I keep the van. I tell him this and he agrees.
    Option 2 is keep the van return all the service contracts, he fixes all my scratches, the thing I wasn't happy about originally, a free 6 year 125000 mile "wrap" warranty door guards which I forgot were supposed to also be included already, and they offered them to me for free when I was returning the contracts but I said what's the point when the vehicle is already scratched up. He will add any other service contracts at cost, remote start at cost, a new accord at cost when I'm ready and promises to give me the best deal possible on every car I buy for the rest of my life. This is a big chain of dealerships and a good relationship with them might be pretty valuable, but it also might not last, because I'm not good at hardball and they are. I could probably ask for even more but like I said I'm not pushy and its really more about the safety of my family, and how do you put a price on that?
    So the more I am thinking about option 2 it is really just them making my first deal right; price stays the same, scratches fixed, and I get a better warranty, but I paid for a CPO anyways which I can't even get with the open recall and I'm pretty much letting them out of the fact that they endangered my kids. So basically they are offering me a good deal that I could have just played hardball and probably gotten in the first place.
    So, I'm pissed that they have been playing hardball this whole time and they didn't even have a leg to stand on. Now I have all the cards and I should run them through the ringer right?
    Also I kind of don't care about the money too much, and I'd also rather just give this other dealership my business as I have been building a relationship with that salesman and I might be better off there.
    I am supposed to be deciding what I want and go in to get it today. I am also thinking I could make them give me the accord at cost with a free 125,000 mile warranty if I buy today. Because, while they might not have broken the law, they are in trouble with Honda and when Honda calls me on Mon if I tell them that not only I am happy with the first deal but I bought an accord. They will be out of trouble with Honda for sure.
    So before I go in I am going to go talk to the other dealership and see what they think and what kind of deal they can do, I honestly think they will give me a great deal on an accord and a great deal on another van when they can sell me one, just to steal my business and look good to Honda.
    So what would you all do in my shoes? How much would of a better deal should I make the first dealership give me to make it worth going back instead of just trashing them and starting a new relationship with the other dealer?

I know, I digging up an old thread but....I'm new....so

Anyway, I have had the runaround on repairs and up sells from dealers, it always seems they are about maximizing profit. Now before someone jumps in, I'm all for people making a profit....that is what makes the world go round but notice I said maximizing. I like the guys who are out to make customers happy, if you can make a customer happy they will be back and the profit will take care of itself.

In my home town I found a local garage, a "Mom and Pop" type of place, always treated me well and treated people I sent there well. One day I told the guy(who happen to be the son of the owner) about how I appreciated how he treated people especially women I sent in with car issues. He flat out told me his dad would have his you know what if he didn't treat every customer with fairness,dignity and respect. That, in my book is what I definitely pay a premium for.

Unfortunately, I moved but I was fortunate enough to find another "Mom and Pop" type shop....did the same thing sent my wife in with a problem I knew the answer to.....came out with no up sell and no BS... that sold me. This guy has even done specific work for me. I had a non-Honda van with a V6 didn't want to mess with trying to get the rear spark plugs, had him do all 6 but he did the job no issues. One other time, same van, had to do the water pump(external), ended up stripping a bolt in a bad spot for me to get to, called him up told him my situation, told me to bring by, three days before Thanksgiving. Asked if he could use my parts, he said he would but he would be warrantying the parts....fair enough in my book. Work done reasonable price, family weekend saved.

I would never get that kind of treatment at a dealership, they would have sited liability issues etc etc to make a buck. Not all are money driven but in my experience most are and that is sad because people who do not know a thing about cars/vans/trucks get taken advantage of everyday.

For me, I like supporting the small business owners, sure you may have to research but that goes for everybody, dealers included

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234