Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Afterall, these are the people that can help you get assistance for your failing transmissions, sliding doors and ignition switch problems.

Every business needs to make a profit or atleast attempt to. I am saying this in defense of my local dealer which has been great!

Yes I pay a premium on all my services and repairs. BUT, they treat me right, give me a ride to the office, pick me up after, Starbucks coffee in the lounge and the repairs are done by certified/trained Honda technicians, as opposed to a high school drop out that has turned a wrench for 20 years.

Anyhow, 2 transmissions later, both outside of warranty and covered by the dealer, 2 faulty ignition switches, free power steering rack @ 102k miles and countless sliding door repairs @ all complimentary costs, I would go nowhere else but my Honda dealer.

I guess it is like Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth, you pay a premium for good expert service and unbelievable warranty coverage if you're a loyal client.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Not everybody hates stealerships, er, dealerships. I don't hate my local dealer but I can't say I love them either.

It's just that work there is expensive and not always done to my satisfaction. I'm sure people have horror stories but you have to realize that they're more vocal than the silent majority that have nothing to write about.

Re: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Originally posted by panerai

Every business needs to make a profit or atleast attempt to.
    That's the key right there IMO. You have to go into it understanding the fact that NOTHING is for free and you will pay a bit more for the OEM parts, service and sometimes convenience associated with it. If you stay cool with a Service Writer, they will take care of you. Give a clear explanation of what you need and you can bargain for price. If not, walk and try a different dealer. You can try the service manager route or '1-800-Honduh', but that's a lot of time and bother. Get all hot and fluffed up and you are done for at any level.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would agree with previous statements that the service level can vary from dealer to dealer. Also from person to person within the dealership.

There are a lot of concerns about the quality of the work that you pay a premium price for. And again, I am sure that varies from tech to tech.

I have been opposed to the exhorbidant parts markup (most of the online parts dealers are dealers too and they manage to sell at a reasonable price). I found a 40% difference between 2 dealers in the same city on one part.

I couldn't afford to own the vehicles I had if I had to pay for every little thing to be fixed by the dealer so I do the work myself and I am prettty successful. I've done timing belts, clutches, water pumps, steering racks, etc. and I know it was done right because I did it.

Each to his own and I am sure there are some highly skilled and competent people working at all dealerships. You just have to roll the dice that one of them is working on your car.

Andy

"paying a premium for good service" is what is at question. Most of my experience is paying through the nose at a dealership and then being treated poorly. I paid almost $40,000 out the door for my beloved Odyssey and then was treated like they were doing me a favor when I had needs and never offered a rental car. When I bought a cheap Ford years ago that dealer offered free loaner cars for anything more than an oil change.
    2007 ODY EX-L NAV/RES Silver (his ride)
    2002 CR-V (her ride)

Originally posted by AndyCBR

I have been opposed to the exhorbidant parts markup (most of the online parts dealers are dealers too and they manage to sell at a reasonable price). I found a 40% difference between 2 dealers in the same city on one part.
    Same here Andy. Back when I owned my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, one of my upstream, heated O2 sensors lost it's heater (constant CEL). Called my local Isuzu dealer. $250 for a replacement sensor!?! Got one from an Isuzu dealer who does tons of mail-order for $120. Unreal. The only time my vehicles see dealer service is for warranty issues. I don't mind paying little extras at that time to make the 'warranty' go more smoothly. I know these guys depend on the service bay to keep the lights on for the most part.

Joel
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more Hidden Content

I have to chime in on this one. Like others, I don't go to the dealer unless I absolutely have to - for the same reasons others have posted. Outrageous prices for both parts and labor. And for those prices, it is a roll of the dice as to whether you will get quality work or not. If I pay premium prices, I expect premium work - no exceptions. What is so frustrating is that if the dealers would not try to rape you on the prices, and exercise better quality control, more people like me might bring their car in more often, which in turn would increase their revenue to where they wouldn't have to rape you on the price in the first place. Everyone wins. We get reasonably priced, quality service. They get increased sales/repeat business. Am I missing something?
    Former owner of 2002 Odyssey EX. Transmission died at 104k miles. R.I.P.

CoolJ, In reality, most of the finger pointing should go towards the manufacturer with respect to paying out for warranty work. The Tech working on the vehicle doesn't get paid squat for your average warranty job, if they get paid at all. A Tech could spend half a day troubleshooting a squeak or rattle that a customer is B*ching about, find nothing and not get paid for his/her time. That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way. This is why Service Writers lick their chops at the gravy-train jobs and rake you over the coals (fluid flushes, cleanings, brake jobs,etc). They know their techs can crank them out quick and make back some of the money they lost on warranty jobs all week. Manufacturers need to address this better. They don't because for the most part, dealerships have nothing to do with the actual auto company. Dealerships are privately owned and run businesses. Again, I think the manufacturers should be more in charge of them.

Joel

Originally posted by kenycki
    "paying a premium for good service" is what is at question. Most of my experience is paying through the nose at a dealership and then being treated poorly. I paid almost $40,000 out the door for my beloved Odyssey and then was treated like they were doing me a favor when I had needs and never offered a rental car. When I bought a cheap Ford years ago that dealer offered free loaner cars for anything more than an oil change.
    Thats funny, I paid $104K for my BMW 750Li, $81K for my Range Rover and $92K for my Benz G500 and never in my mind did I even think the Dealer owed me a rental car. They always just offered it to me.

I also paid $40k for my Oddysey and they always offered me a rental. I turn it down most of the time because it is not that important to me.

Just FYI, the price of the vehicle has nothing to do with your rental.

Originally posted by MTPockets08
    That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way.
    Joel
    Very true, but most if not all people wil pay for the 4 hours that the technician deserves.

Seeing the posts on this board, people are not willing to pay for squat, and expect the world/

Thats funny, I paid $104K for my BMW 750Li, $81K for my Range Rover and $92K for my Benz G500...
    Dude... Can I come over to play?

Joel

Re: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Yes I pay a premium on all my services and repairs. BUT, they treat me right, give me a ride to the office, pick me up after, Starbucks coffee in the lounge and the repairs are done by certified/trained Honda technicians, as opposed to a high school drop out that has turned a wrench for 20 years.
    My independent uses certified/trained Honda technicians that get annual training to stay current. Plus they let me look under the hood and talk shop AND their rate is substantially lower than the dealer.
    01 Ody LX 200k miles Granite Green, keyless remote, hidden hitch, front speaker upgrade, CD player
    10 Accord LX - headrests are a pain
    04 Accord LX V6 - sold
    02 XR200R - sold
    99 Harmony (two)
    95 Pressure washer
    77 Accord - great car, long gone

Re: Re: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

Originally posted by back3earth
    My independent uses certified/trained Honda technicians that get annual training to stay current. Plus they let me look under the hood and talk shop AND their rate is substantially lower than the dealer.
    I bring my "other car" to an independent as well. Dont get me wrong, I love my independents also.

Two good friends of mine work at a dealership. One is a master technician and the other owns the place.

Honda training is almost every quarter. There are new tests and coriculums everyweek as new information arrives (@ Honda Interactive).

The education independents get are second hand "wannabe" Honda factory reps. I know because I use to run a chain of indepent stores AND I use to attend those training sessions. It's a joke. But for the uneducated conterfeit mechanics, it'll do just ok.

Originally posted by MTPockets08
    CoolJ, In reality, most of the finger pointing should go towards the manufacturer with respect to paying out for warranty work. The Tech working on the vehicle doesn't get paid squat for your average warranty job, if they get paid at all. A Tech could spend half a day troubleshooting a squeak or rattle that a customer is B*ching about, find nothing and not get paid for his/her time. That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way. This is why Service Writers lick their chops at the gravy-train jobs and rake you over the coals (fluid flushes, cleanings, brake jobs,etc). They know their techs can crank them out quick and make back some of the money they lost on warranty jobs all week. Manufacturers need to address this better. They don't because for the most part, dealerships have nothing to do with the actual auto company. Dealerships are privately owned and run businesses. Again, I think the manufacturers should be more in charge of them.

Joel
    Those are good points. I didn't think about the dealer getting screwed on the warranty work. That definitely is part of the problem. I still think that instead of having to rake people over the coals, if they provided consistent quality service at reasonable prices they would more than make up for it with increased volume of business. I know it's a tricky balancing act - you don't want to make the prices too low, you don't make any money. But if you set them too high, you discourage a lot of people from coming in. There's a "Goldilocks" point that's just right - dealer makes money, customer doesn't get raped. I probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm just a naive, idealistic guy.

And BTW panerai - I want to hang with you too. Nice stable of cars. It must feel like you're slummin' in the oddy.
    Former owner of 2002 Odyssey EX. Transmission died at 104k miles. R.I.P.

Originally posted by CoolJB96
    Those are good points. I didn't think about the dealer getting screwed on the warranty work. That definitely is part of the problem. I still think that instead of having to rake people over the coals, if they provided consistent quality service at reasonable prices they would more than make up for it with increased volume of business. I know it's a tricky balancing act - you don't want to make the prices too low, you don't make any money. But if you set them too high, you discourage a lot of people from coming in. There's a "Goldilocks" point that's just right - dealer makes money, customer doesn't get raped. I probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm just a naive, idealistic guy.

And BTW panerai - I want to hang with you too. Nice stable of cars. It must feel like you're slummin' in the oddy.
    Excellent point. I wished the factory paid more on warranty work.

The Oddysey is our most used vehicle because we can park it anywhere without having to worry about haters and careless door dingers.

The Oddysey is my wife's daily driver for this purpose. I also like driving it because I get to park it in front of the office. I never bring a nice car to work, it brings bad press. If and when I do, I park really far and walk to at least one block.

Back to the topic, dealerships make the most in the finance department, second only is the service department.

The other reason why the dealer charges alot is overhead. There are a lot of customers that blame them for problems that they did not cause. There is also that scratch "that was not there before". The cost of insurance rakes the dealership over the coals also.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast